The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

warwick CSE (computer systems engineering)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mario709010
Warwick everyone always says they take forever to do their batches as I know they did one in October and one in January right around deadline time for Cs and I assume they do cse at the same time so it looks like they're going to take their time to do it so don't stress.

I got mine in late November, so they might not be exactly the same (or there might have been a batch in November as well :smile:)

Also I've always heard your gcse grades don't really matter unless you're going to Oxbridge so your fine.

And even for Oxbridge you'd need some pretty outrageous results for them to contribute all that much... Maybe like 10-12 9s or smth
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Automata
I got mine in late November, so they might not be exactly the same (or there might have been a batch in November as well :smile:)

And even for Oxbridge you'd need some pretty outrageous results for them to contribute all that much... Maybe like 10-12 9s or smth

It probably was November instead of October makes a bit more sense + I wasn't too sure about October just knew the time frame. I know january as I got my offer then
I mean I can say this for Bristol at least, if you haven't been rejected yet it's probably a good thing. I have one friend who applied for pure computing and their grades were worse than yours and he got rejected a couple weeks after applying (Also you're the first other person on this website to have applied for Computer science and Engineering at Bristol). He applied a little bit before the deadline in January. Although it stated the reasoning was that they ran out of space but if you're still in the running it probably just means they're considering you. Also with Warwick everyone always says they take forever to do their batches as I know they did one in October and one in January right around deadline time for Cs and I assume they do cse at the same time so it looks like they're going to take their time to do it so don't stress. Also I've always heard your gcse grades don't really matter unless you're going to Oxbridge so your fine.

i have been put on hold for bristol, but apparently they just do that to a lot of people so im not looking into it too much. Were his grades below the entry? for the course i applied it was AAA. Ive actually been on the 6th form reddit where people post their offers and a lot of people have been rejcted based on things like their english language gcse grades which is why i am a bit worried. But its out of my hand tho. hows your applications going?

ive actually been told that oxbridge cs doesnt look into gcses too much, just more a levels and majority of the decision is based on your admissions exams.
Original post by lollapoalso
i have been put on hold for bristol, but apparently they just do that to a lot of people so im not looking into it too much. Were his grades below the entry? for the course i applied it was AAA. Ive actually been on the 6th form reddit where people post their offers and a lot of people have been rejcted based on things like their english language gcse grades which is why i am a bit worried. But its out of my hand tho. hows your applications going?

Yeah his A level grades were below required. Also I think GCSE maths and english were probably the main ones taken into account as courses usually only have a minimum for those two so they might not look at our physics GCSE which I saw you said you were worried about. With my options for Bristol I got a contextual offer for Computer science and Electronics in October with the offer being an ABB (The A in maths). Uni of Edinburgh gave me an offer for ABB for a joint course in cs and physics and I got an offer for Warwick for CS in January for a grade requirement of AAA. Still waiting on Imperial and Oxford was a rejection.
Yeah his A level grades were below required. Also I think GCSE maths and english were probably the main ones taken into account as courses usually only have a minimum for those two so they might not look at our physics GCSE which I saw you said you were worried about. With my options for Bristol I got a contextual offer for Computer science and Electronics in October with the offer being an ABB (The A in maths). Uni of Edinburgh gave me an offer for ABB for a joint course in cs and physics and I got an offer for Warwick for CS in January for a grade requirement of AAA. Still waiting on Imperial and Oxford was a rejection.

fingers crossed for imperial then! congrats on everything, what do you think will be your firm?
Not to sure, was looking at Edinburgh but I'll br moving from London and I'm still deciding about the accom situation as I don't know whether I should risk sharing a bathroom as all the accoms within a half hour walk of the computer science building all have shared bathrooms. I heard Warwick is kinda boring and there's not much and I haven't looked into bristol too much so I still don't know what to choose as my firm.
Went to the offer-holder day yesterday-
The campus is pretty nice ig? Lots of decapitated snowmans lying around lol
I saw that everyone in the CS labs were using Linux thankfully. Definitely would not want to use Windows or smth for 4 years haha...

Anyways, the CSE holders (~6-7 of us) went to a special session to have a tour of the engineering building after the welcome talk. I really liked that one; they gave me a free bag :biggrin:
In terms of the actual building, there was a room full of basically just 3D printers that apparently we can use whenever we want, which I thought was pretty cool (they did use Windows in there but I assume we can use our own laptops or smth)

The tour guides for the CS dept were both current CSE students as well, which was surprising. Maybe the CS students were busy cause of timetables I suppose?
I would have asked some questions but I was stuck at the back of the group so that was sad lol. Although I think I would have been too awkward to ask anything anyway ^-^

Or rather, have you heard back yet? I was hoping you'd hear back by the first offer-holder day, but I suppose it'll just be by the next one in mid-May if you haven't
Went to the offer-holder day yesterday-
The campus is pretty nice ig? Lots of decapitated snowmans lying around lol
I saw that everyone in the CS labs were using Linux thankfully. Definitely would not want to use Windows or smth for 4 years haha...

Anyways, the CSE holders (~6-7 of us) went to a special session to have a tour of the engineering building after the welcome talk. I really liked that one; they gave me a free bag :biggrin:
In terms of the actual building, there was a room full of basically just 3D printers that apparently we can use whenever we want, which I thought was pretty cool (they did use Windows in there but I assume we can use our own laptops or smth)

The tour guides for the CS dept were both current CSE students as well, which was surprising. Maybe the CS students were busy cause of timetables I suppose?
I would have asked some questions but I was stuck at the back of the group so that was sad lol. Although I think I would have been too awkward to ask anything anyway ^-^

Or rather, have you heard back yet? I was hoping you'd hear back by the first offer-holder day, but I suppose it'll just be by the next one in mid-May if you haven't

I GOT INNNNN TODAYYYYYY WOPPPPPPPP ucl reject tho same day ahah BUT YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. so what are ur overall thoughts about the campus?????? is it social coz i wanna meet everybodyyyyyy haha
(edited 1 year ago)
Lesgooo! Congrats! Knew you'd get in ha

Edit: campus is definitely pretty nice, very modern very clean, lots of ducks
It was relatively quiet but I'm pretty sure it's just cause it was freezing cold and raining on a Saturday lol
(edited 1 year ago)
I GOT INNNNN TODAYYYYYY WOPPPPPPPP ucl reject tho same day ahah BUT YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. so what are ur overall thoughts about the campus?????? is it social coz i wanna meet everybodyyyyyy haha

Congratulations, also although I never have been to Warwick the one thing I constantly hear is that the social life at Warwick isn't the best compared to other uni's.
Congratulations, also although I never have been to Warwick the one thing I constantly hear is that the social life at Warwick isn't the best compared to other uni's.

when i went it was in the middle of no where so yeah haha, but im so glad. just withdrew bristol and made warwick my firm and notts my insurance.
Original post by Teruko
Lesgooo! Congrats! Knew you'd get in ha

Edit: campus is definitely pretty nice, very modern very clean, lots of ducks
It was relatively quiet but I'm pretty sure it's just cause it was freezing cold and raining on a Saturday lol

thank youuu, hopefully we are seeing each other in september!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank youuu, hopefully we are seeing each other in september!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep! Cya there :>
Hey all, just received my UCL rejection for CS, I'll be joining you on campus for CSE. Does anyone know how intense the workload is for CS or CSE at Warwick? I'd love to take on a part-time secondary online course if they weren't planning to work us to death :biggrin: Also, the horrid social life at Warwick seems to be a bit of a joke atp, I'm assuming it's pointing to the absolute state of Coventry pubs but there'll still be societies I can join and some intact nightlife right? Look forward to seeing you all on campus!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by HalloM8
Hey all, just received my UCL rejection for CS, I'll be joining you on campus for CSE. Does anyone know how intense the workload is for CS or CSE at Warwick? I'd love to take on a part-time secondary online course if they weren't planning to work us to death :biggrin: Also, the horrid social life at Warwick seems to be a bit of a joke atp, I'm assuming it's pointing to the absolute state of Coventry pubs but there'll still be societies I can join and some intact nightlife right? Look forward to seeing you all on campus!

Hello Hallo!
No idea what the workload is going to be like but I'm sure it'll be fiiine hahahahaha
Loads of societies so that should be good there I think :smile:
Looking forward to seeing you!

Personally I withdrew from UCL last month cause I got sick of waiting- London's too expensive for me anyway lol
Original post by Teruko
Hello Hallo!
No idea what the workload is going to be like but I'm sure it'll be fiiine hahahahaha
Loads of societies so that should be good there I think :smile:
Looking forward to seeing you!

Personally I withdrew from UCL last month cause I got sick of waiting- London's too expensive for me anyway lol

Hey there Teruko! Yeahhh it seems like all CS-adjacent degrees push you quite hard lol, I'll see when we get there :smile: Ohh speaking of societies, I'm thinking of setting up a Tech Journalism Society in my first year, might run into some issues with budgeting but I'm wondering if it'd garner enough interest (30 signatures) to open up, given there's a Hummus Society :confused: I think I'll be okay. I had a friend that went to UCL and couldn't stomach the cost and was living really horribly for the first two years... Good idea to skip out :smile:
Look forward to seeing you!
Reply 37
Did we all get in??
Reply 38
I’m applying for Warwick cse this year and have two questions if that’s ok . Firstly what time of the year did you guys receive your offers ? Secondly how’s the course ?
Reply 39
Original post by Isaiahch
I’m applying for Warwick cse this year and have two questions if that’s ok . Firstly what time of the year did you guys receive your offers ? Secondly how’s the course ?

Got mine in November
Course is fine so far, lot of maths, but everything's been pretty straightforward.

Quick Reply

Latest