The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

warwick CSE (computer systems engineering)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Teruko
Got mine in November
Course is fine so far, lot of maths, but everything's been pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the prompt response. Is cse in the engineering or compsci department?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 41
Original post by Isaiahch
Thanks for the prompt response. Is cse in the engineering or compsci department?

Both
Reply 42
Original post by lollapoalso
is there anyone doing computer systems engineering at Warwick? how is the course, and how competitive would you say getting into the course is?
Hi did anyone here ask for a transfer to cs sept and did it happen.
Does cs engineering entail electronic engineering and how is it ?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Tddu
Hi did anyone here ask for a transfer to cs sept and did it happen.
Does cs engineering entail electronic engineering and how is it ?

At the start of term they explicitly state that you are not permitted to transfer to CS, so if you want to do CS apply for CS instead (or both).
There are, I believe, 2 compulsory electronics modules---one in first year, one in second---but the rest are optional.

You can see the course structures here: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/dcs/teaching/courses/

I've found the electronics to be the hardest part of the course so far, but it would certainly not have been altogether too difficult, had I actually turned up to lectures and done the homework ;p
Reply 44
Original post by Anonymous #1
At the start of term they explicitly state that you are not permitted to transfer to CS, so if you want to do CS apply for CS instead (or both).
There are, I believe, 2 compulsory electronics modules---one in first year, one in second---but the rest are optional.
You can see the course structures here: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/dcs/teaching/courses/
I've found the electronics to be the hardest part of the course so far, but it would certainly not have been altogether too difficult, had I actually turned up to lectures and done the homework ;p

🙂 thank you for this insight !
Reply 45
Original post by Tddu
🙂 thank you for this insight !

So if you don’t opt for the optional electronic electives you can opt for the cs related one ?
Original post by Tddu
So if you don’t opt for the optional electronic electives you can opt for the cs related one ?
Yes, you get quite a wide selection of optional modules to choose from, and you can take modules from other departments as well if you get permission.

As an example if you look at year 2: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/dcs/teaching/courses/cse2-2425
There's one compulsory module on analogue electronics, then you can choose 2 modules from the optional modules list, eg AI or a language.

You can also choose modules that are completely irrelevant if you acquire permission--chemistry, biology, philosophy, whatever. These are "unusual options" which may also include CS modules as well, eg in 4th year there is an optional CS module Computational Biology which is unavailable for CSE students, but you could still apply to take it as an unusual option.

There are modules like 'Mathematics for Computer Scientists 2' which you are not permitted to take because the content is similar to modules that you already do/have done/will done. Engineering Mathematics in Y1 CSE already covers the entirety of content of MfCS2 in Y2 CS for example.
Reply 47
Original post by Anonymous #1
Yes, you get quite a wide selection of optional modules to choose from, and you can take modules from other departments as well if you get permission.
As an example if you look at year 2: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/dcs/teaching/courses/cse2-2425
There's one compulsory module on analogue electronics, then you can choose 2 modules from the optional modules list, eg AI or a language.
You can also choose modules that are completely irrelevant if you acquire permission--chemistry, biology, philosophy, whatever. These are "unusual options" which may also include CS modules as well, eg in 4th year there is an optional CS module Computational Biology which is unavailable for CSE students, but you could still apply to take it as an unusual option.
There are modules like 'Mathematics for Computer Scientists 2' which you are not permitted to take because the content is similar to modules that you already do/have done/will done. Engineering Mathematics in Y1 CSE already covers the entirety of content of MfCS2 in Y2 CS for example.

Thank you so much for this detailed reply

Quick Reply

Latest