The Student Room Group

Why do geography departments dislike geopolitics/IR so much?!

Interested as to if anyone else doing geography courses (particularly Human Geography) has come across this, but why does it seem like geography departments have such a dislike for geopolitics/IR?

As someone doing a human geography degree (but who is more interested in cold hard geopolitics and international relations than abstract veganism or gender geography) the options for geopolitics modules and classes are non-existent. In 3 years at university, I've only ever been able to do one (as a non-departmental credit in 2nd year) and everyone else I've spoken to doing similar degrees at other universities has come across the same issues?

As for my dissertation, despite there being an option for "geopolitical geography" on the official proposal form, all 5 (!) of my geopolitical proposals were rejected by my supervisor because "you are expected to collect 80% of your data through primary collection means". If you're required to do footfall counts and quantitative survey's what's the point in having geopolitics as an option in the first place? Once again, I'm not alone in this - other's on my course all had their geopolitical proposals rejected, as did friends at other universities?

I just don't get it? Is it elitism that it's not "proper" geography? Is it some inter-departmental squabble that geopolitics should be a subject for the PPE department? Really frustrating since I've now been forced into a dissertation subject I have absolutely no interest in or passion for.

Curious if anyone else has also come across this phenomenon?

TL;DR: Lack of support for geopolitics modules and diss subjects in geography departments
Hi,

I know this is an old post, but thought I would comment just in case anyone else was interested in getting an answer.

Lancaster University, and Lancaster Environment Centre specifically is brilliant for human geography topics related to Geopolitics and IR. Throughout my Geography undergrad, I was able to do modules such as Political Geographies, Economic Geographies, Cultural Geographies, People and the Sea, Climate Change and Society, Development Geographies, Africa and Transformation.

I am now studying an MA in Political Ecology, this seems like it would definitely be right up your street! I am about to undertake my Dissertation on Gendered Perspectives of Climate Change in Lancaster with Lancaster Council.

Best wishes,
Tyler (LU Postgraduate Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending