The Student Room Group

The NCS (newham collegiate sixthform) Newham

Help! i’m really in two minds about this sixthform. If anyone goes there currently, I would really appreciate some responses :smile:

I really like it but I didn’t get to know it well when i attended open evening. First of all, how big are class sizes?/ how big is the common room?/ are there lockers?/ what are the rules regarding phones and other devices?/ what are the teachers like?/ also is there an outside ground where students can go? from what i saw, it was just one building which seemed mildly depressing.

Also, how easy was it to make friends? what is the atmosphere like? is it REALLY competitive? What are the positives/ negatives of the sixth form? I read the google reviews and they aren’t the best.. but i guess that’s the same for every competitive sixthform in south east london.

Finally, (if you had the choice to go to your own school sixthform/ different sixthform) would you have chosen it? And is The NCS ‘worth it’ in that aspect? I really liked some of the teachers i talked to and it does seem right for me in terms of grades and I also really liked the architecture but i’m not entirely sure. Please help! Thankyou so much if you respond.
Original post by NidPai
Help! i’m really in two minds about this sixthform. If anyone goes there currently, I would really appreciate some responses :smile:

I really like it but I didn’t get to know it well when i attended open evening. First of all, how big are class sizes?/ how big is the common room?/ are there lockers?/ what are the rules regarding phones and other devices?/ what are the teachers like?/ also is there an outside ground where students can go? from what i saw, it was just one building which seemed mildly depressing.

Also, how easy was it to make friends? what is the atmosphere like? is it REALLY competitive? What are the positives/ negatives of the sixth form? I read the google reviews and they aren’t the best.. but i guess that’s the same for every competitive sixthform in south east london.

Finally, (if you had the choice to go to your own school sixthform/ different sixthform) would you have chosen it? And is The NCS ‘worth it’ in that aspect? I really liked some of the teachers i talked to and it does seem right for me in terms of grades and I also really liked the architecture but i’m not entirely sure. Please help! Thankyou so much if you respond.

I enrolled in the NCS in August 2021, but went back to my secondary school 2 months later as the commute was just too long. (1 hour bus ride and I literally live in East London) and my secondary was a 5 minute walk away.

It is a good school I guess, class sizes are pretty much packed for maths (like 30+) and around 25 for Bio chem (Im assuming same for physics). Psychology was also quite packed.

It is quite stressful, you will do a lot of mock exams (especially in Year 13) so that they pretty much force you into revising. If you can cope under stress then yeah go for it but if you cant then long days for you.

People vary. Some are pretty nice and friendly but some were quite toxic. You cant really use mobile phones in class, they do give iPads however imo its not really a deal breaker.

Teachers were good but they werent any better than the teachers at my secondary. However if you are really passionate about your subjects then you can speak to them in breaktime etc and they will happily speak to you.

There is an outside ground right outside the school, but its quite small icl.

Imo my philosophy is that if you have the ability to get good GCSEs in the secondary school that you are in, then you can definitely get good A-Level grades at the same secondary school's sixth form. However if the NCS is closer to where you live, then it could be a good idea to go NCS.

Also they do fancy stuff like Ivy League prep however its pretty much reserved for the brightest of the brightest of students (People with basically straight 9s at GCSE with maybe the occasional 8). Most people there dont get that stuff

Hope it helped lol
Reply 2
Original post by kk15405
I enrolled in the NCS in August 2021, but went back to my secondary school 2 months later as the commute was just too long. (1 hour bus ride and I literally live in East London) and my secondary was a 5 minute walk away.

It is a good school I guess, class sizes are pretty much packed for maths (like 30+) and around 25 for Bio chem (Im assuming same for physics). Psychology was also quite packed.

It is quite stressful, you will do a lot of mock exams (especially in Year 13) so that they pretty much force you into revising. If you can cope under stress then yeah go for it but if you cant then long days for you.

People vary. Some are pretty nice and friendly but some were quite toxic. You cant really use mobile phones in class, they do give iPads however imo its not really a deal breaker.

Teachers were good but they werent any better than the teachers at my secondary. However if you are really passionate about your subjects then you can speak to them in breaktime etc and they will happily speak to you.

There is an outside ground right outside the school, but its quite small icl.

Imo my philosophy is that if you have the ability to get good GCSEs in the secondary school that you are in, then you can definitely get good A-Level grades at the same secondary school's sixth form. However if the NCS is closer to where you live, then it could be a good idea to go NCS.

Also they do fancy stuff like Ivy League prep however its pretty much reserved for the brightest of the brightest of students (People with basically straight 9s at GCSE with maybe the occasional 8). Most people there dont get that stuff

Hope it helped lol

Ohh thankyou so much this was really helpful! Also you can do that?? How did you switch from NCS to your secondary sixthform - do you just have to contact them if they still have free spaces?

Ahh the ivy league thing seems annoying, what about russell group programmes? Also the classes seem packed - eesh, is there a common room / central place to study?

That’s a pretty good philosophy, tbh it’s not that far for me (40mins by bus) but my secondary is defo closer (25min walk) + a lot of the people i know are going here.
Once again, thanks! :smile:
Has anyone received an offer to attend a taster day from Newham Collegiate Sixth Form so far?
Reply 4
Original post by johnasnariya12
Has anyone received an offer to attend a taster day from Newham Collegiate Sixth Form so far?

Yes, i have!
Original post by johnasnariya12

yep last wednesday

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending