The Student Room Group
University of York
York

film and TV production course

Hi, I have received an offer for Bsc Film and TV production for 2023 start and was wondering what sort of editing software you use? how often do you guys get to edit different projects and are you ever trained in different aspects of editing? Also just wondering how much the course focuses on employability for after uni and if they encourage getting work experience for different odd jobs whilst studying? Thank you!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I have received an offer for Bsc Film and TV production for 2023 start and was wondering what sort of editing software you use? how often do you guys get to edit different projects and are you ever trained in different aspects of editing? Also just wondering how much the course focuses on employability for after uni and if they encourage getting work experience for different odd jobs whilst studying? Thank you!!

Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer to study Film and TV production at York!

I'm afraid I'm a Biology graduate, so I can't answer specific questions about the Film and TV production course myself. However, I've put your question to some of our current Film and TV Production students, so hopefully will have an answer for you soon! :smile:

In the meantime, why not check out this vlog by first-year student Alison on 'what's it like to study Film and TV production at York'.

I hope this helps - Hannah :smile:
University of York
York
Original post by Anonymous

Hi again!

I have some info from one of our first year students, Jessica:

Congratulations on your offer! The main editing software we use is Premiere Pro which we were given multiple practical sessions to learn all the different aspects of it: editing, colour grading and exporting settings for example. We also use Pro Tools for sound editing and effects! Within the practicals (which, for me, started in the second term of the first year), there's plenty of opportunity to practice editing and it ensures everyone is on the same level so don't worry if you've never used the software before - I hadn't before coming here! In terms of employability, this is definitely something the department focuses on, there are workshops and Q&As with people in the industry quite regularly, and you can also sign up for a newsletter which sends out current jobs available to students. There is also the possibility of doing a year within the industry for this course as well, which the department will help you with if you decide to pursue that. Getting involved in student projects outside of the course is a great way to gain experience too, it would be worth looking into the student television society (YSTV) which allows you to gain skills and experience for your CV while meeting new people! Hope this helps! - Jess
Reply 3
Original post by University of York
Hi again!

I have some info from one of our first year students, Jessica:

Congratulations on your offer! The main editing software we use is Premiere Pro which we were given multiple practical sessions to learn all the different aspects of it: editing, colour grading and exporting settings for example. We also use Pro Tools for sound editing and effects! Within the practicals (which, for me, started in the second term of the first year), there's plenty of opportunity to practice editing and it ensures everyone is on the same level so don't worry if you've never used the software before - I hadn't before coming here! In terms of employability, this is definitely something the department focuses on, there are workshops and Q&As with people in the industry quite regularly, and you can also sign up for a newsletter which sends out current jobs available to students. There is also the possibility of doing a year within the industry for this course as well, which the department will help you with if you decide to pursue that. Getting involved in student projects outside of the course is a great way to gain experience too, it would be worth looking into the student television society (YSTV) which allows you to gain skills and experience for your CV while meeting new people! Hope this helps! - Jess

Awh thank you so much for answering that’s been really helpful!! I was also wondering how much of the first year is just learning the basics of shooting and editing as I am doing a practical BTEC course and already have lots of experience in this. Are there many people on your course who studied BTEC film and TV before coming to York or did most of them take A-levels?
Original post by chloe323
Awh thank you so much for answering that’s been really helpful!! I was also wondering how much of the first year is just learning the basics of shooting and editing as I am doing a practical BTEC course and already have lots of experience in this. Are there many people on your course who studied BTEC film and TV before coming to York or did most of them take A-levels?

Hi again,

No problem, I'm glad that was helpful :smile: I passed on your follow-up question and Jess replied with this:

"So during Spring term, it is mainly learning about the basics of shooting and editing as there are people who have never done any of this before. But if you are experienced, there is still a lot to learn and experiment with, especially with industry-level equipment and procedures. I would say covering the pure basics of shooting and editing probably takes up about 1/5 of the Spring term content. The rest of the time, we have been learning about history and analysis, and the science behind all the tech and practicals we have been doing. So there is definitely new content if you already have lots of experience in shooting and editing.

I'm unsure of the exact statistics of how many people have studied BTEC Film and TV prior to uni, sorry. I personally haven't studied film and TV before and only did a bit of filming as a hobby, but I don't find it to be a barrier when it comes to doing a degree in film and TV. My coursemates who have studied film before also don't find this course a repetition of what they have learnt before either. I've been told what they did learn before uni helps with some bits of theories, but in uni, they go much more in-depth. So, in my opinion, having/haven't studied film and TV does not make too much of a difference in this course.

I hope this helps!" - Jess
Reply 5
Original post by University of York
Hi again,

No problem, I'm glad that was helpful :smile: I passed on your follow-up question and Jess replied with this:

"So during Spring term, it is mainly learning about the basics of shooting and editing as there are people who have never done any of this before. But if you are experienced, there is still a lot to learn and experiment with, especially with industry-level equipment and procedures. I would say covering the pure basics of shooting and editing probably takes up about 1/5 of the Spring term content. The rest of the time, we have been learning about history and analysis, and the science behind all the tech and practicals we have been doing. So there is definitely new content if you already have lots of experience in shooting and editing.

I'm unsure of the exact statistics of how many people have studied BTEC Film and TV prior to uni, sorry. I personally haven't studied film and TV before and only did a bit of filming as a hobby, but I don't find it to be a barrier when it comes to doing a degree in film and TV. My coursemates who have studied film before also don't find this course a repetition of what they have learnt before either. I've been told what they did learn before uni helps with some bits of theories, but in uni, they go much more in-depth. So, in my opinion, having/haven't studied film and TV does not make too much of a difference in this course.

I hope this helps!" - Jess

again thank you so much for taking time to answer!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending