Medicine UCAS Extra for 2022 entry *Updated 15th April 2022*

Watch this thread
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
This is the thread for Medicine UCAS Extra 2022 Entry (started 25th February 2022).

FYI: If you have all 4 decisions (including waitlists and rejections ) for 2022, please head over here to let us know what's happened for you: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7187003

It will be updated later in the year for Clearing (5th July 2022).

The Medicine Extra / Clearing 2021 entry thread is here.
The Medicine Extra / Clearing 2020 entry thread is here.
The Medicine Extra / Clearing 2019 entry thread is here.

List of med schools that are in UCAS Extra (for 2022 Entry)
Worcester A101 (confirmed: https://www.worcester.ac.uk/courses/medicine-mbchb) Deadline was 15th April

List of med schools that are in UCAS Clearing (for 2022 Entry)
(Clearing has not started yet - it is due to start on 5th July 2022)
https://www.ucas.com/events/2022-ent...g-opens-394841

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of med schools that were in UCAS Extra 2021
UCLan A100 {for international students only}

List of med schools that were in UCAS Clearing 2021
SGUL A100 (for those with achieved grades only)
Buckingham A100

List of med schools that were in UCAS Extra 2020
Aberdeen A100 {for international students only}
Buckingham A100
Exeter A100
Glasgow A900 Glasgow Access Programme
Lancaster A100

List of med schools that were in UCAS Clearing 2020
Aston A100
Buckingham A100
Cambridge (St John's College) A100
Keele A100
Nottingham at Lincoln A10L
SGUL A100
Sheffield A100 {for Sheffield Hallam / Bradford students only}
Sunderland A100
QMUL Malta A100
UCLan A100 {international students only}
---
Edge Hill A110 Medicine with a Foundation Year
Leeds A101 Gateway to Medicine
Leicester A199 Medicine with a Foundation Year

List of med schools that were in UCAS Clearing 2019
Aston A100
Anglia Ruskin A100
Buckingham A100
Keele A100
Lancaster A100
Liverpool A100
SGUL A100
Sunderland A100
---
Nottingham at Lincoln A18L Medicine with a Foundation Year

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Spoiler below is a Medicine Clearing experience / FAQ from @BlueSpikes dating from 2018. It is incredibly useful but some information could be outdated. Click on the Spoiler to read.

Important notice: it is no longer possible from 2020 onwards to use the UCAT from that same year for that year's Clearing.

Spoiler:
Show

Hello , (I can now say i am a current first year medic)

Some may remember my thread back in summer 2018, I have recieved quite a few DMs regarding this.

So to clear it all up and let the people know this is how you should prepare for medicine in clearing in any cycle. (also procrastinating so thought id do something beneficial for others)

First of all, dont rely on UCAS search for medicine courses in clearing, go directly on University websites, if I didnt do this I wouldnt be at University today. (Ucas search definitely doesnt include everything)

Secondly, you can start looking for courses in clearing after mid July, around the 15th and do the usual email/call to each University asking if Medicine is going into clearing. Or just to be safe have a quick skim through in the start of July on every university website on their medicine page to make sure.

Thirdly, yes all offers are given after interview, it is still just as intense competition if not even more competitive to get a place. Otherwise this will be hugely unfair.
The criteria to get an interview in clearing at each respective university is also the same as it was during that application cycle or in some cases higher.

You still need a current UKCAT score for medicine in clearing.

When it comes to the point where the University confirms that medicine is in clearing for their course, each university may have a different application process, for example some uses a form that you fill in and email back to them, and some may have a direct online application form, but in all cases you can call afterwards if you want to confirm if they got your details.

Interviews are given usually quite promptly after submitting your details e.g. a few days (but obviously this will always vary)
Offers are given in my experience around a week after (again will always vary)

And also they rank your interview score etc.. as they usually would in the normal application cycle and give offers to those with the highest scores.

FAQ:

What do you mean by boosted UKCAT?
I sat ukcat again for the next years entry but used that score for clearing too. Which happened to be higher than my original sitting for the current cycle.

This is no longer possible from 2020 onwards.

How exactly do you apply for clearing?
I just said you do it via form / email or online form ...read the FAQ

Where on the website can you find out about clearing medicine?
The clearing page

Is it a telephone interview?
NOOO It is an actual MMI get ready to travel to the University. (again that would be soo unfair if they randomly gave people telephone interviews, everything is the same, just later in the year.)

How many places are there?
Not a huge amount for example at Leicester there was 10 places for 64 interviews (data from FOI Request)

Can I sit my ukcat in the summer for clearing?
Yes, thats what I done to boost my score.

Can I apply to the same university I got rejected from in clearing?
You can give it a go but I think they will reject you again and look for someone else but I also know someone who managed to do that for keele after impressing at interview after previously being rejected so in any case always give it a go.

Can I get in with AAB?
No.. most Universities are still looking for standard requirements of either AAA or A*AA etc.

Can I use clearing as a backup incase I miss my grades on results day?
No, refer to above.

What are your grades?
AAA Biol Chem Maths
2610 Band 2 (SGUL cut off 2590)
10A 1D* 1B

Where did you have interviews at?
St Georges
Leicester

When are interviews held?
I did them last year one on 30th July one on 3rd August 2018

Where did you get offers from?
Both

Where you now?
Leics

How should I prepare for my clearing interviews?
Use past interview questions for respective Universities,
Use Marian Colls book ( i used it and it was helpful - not advertising hehe)
Be confident in the fact you got an interview and another chance to make it.

And if that isnt enough to reassure you, heres how my Leicester interview experience was.

Night before we booked into Victoria hotel, that was our greatest mistake, yes it was near the University. But it smelt mouldy, the beds were covered in filth, the mattresses spring was gone on one side, the windows were so old and wouldnt open enough to get adequate air in. It was a very hot night and so I couldnt sleep and I was up from 12 to 7 am struggling to sleep. Regardless I got my suit on and left as soon as possible in the morning. It was fair to say I felt like I have already failed my interview as I was sleep deprived bearing in mind my family stayed over too at this hotel! Was feeling sorry for them.

During the interview I felt like I said so many things that werent right. And after the interview i thought i failed and so I sat and googled medicine in europe e.g. bulgaria as I felt like the UK is too competitive for me.

1 week later - a life changing offer.

A few days after that. Another offer!

You can do this !

Also for anyone who did get AAA and was unlucky during clearing, consider this; (copy and paste from Uni Of Leicester selection process PDF)

3.2 Candidates with achieved A levels / IB
Provided you have attained at least grade B at first sitting in the 4 mandatory GCSE subjects, plus AAA at A level (or IB 36 or more including 666 in HL subjects) in our required subjects within 2 years of your GCSEs,AND have a total UKCAT score in the top 5 deciles with an SJT Band 1-3 we will automatically invite you tointerview provided you are within 2 years of leaving school.

Last edited by ecolier; 4 weeks ago
MBenafia231
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Thanks for this mate 👍
Gill2021
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
This is the thread for Medicine UCAS Extra 2022 Entry (starts 25th February 2022).

It will be updated later in the year for Clearing (5th July 2022).

The Medicine Extra / Clearing 2021 entry thread is here.
The Medicine Extra / Clearing 2020 entry thread is here.
The Medicine Extra / Clearing 2019 entry thread is here.

List of med schools that are in UCAS Extra (for 2022 Entry)
(UCAS Extra has not started yet - it is due to start on 25th February 2022)
https://www.ucas.com/events/2022-ent...a-opens-394816

List of med schools that are in UCAS Clearing (for 2022 Entry)
(Clearing has not started yet - it is due to start on 5th July 2022)
https://www.ucas.com/events/2022-ent...g-opens-394841

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of med schools that were in UCAS Extra 2021

List of med schools that were in UCAS Clearing 2021
SGUL A100 (for those with achieved grades only)
Buckingham A100

List of med schools that were in UCAS Extra 2020
Aberdeen A100 {for international students only}
Buckingham A100
Exeter A100
Glasgow A900 Glasgow Access Programme
Lancaster A100

List of med schools that were in UCAS Clearing 2020
Aston A100
Buckingham A100
Cambridge (St John's College) A100
Keele A100
SGUL A100
Sheffield A100 {for Sheffield Hallam / Bradford students only}
Sunderland A100
QMUL Malta A100
UCLan A100 {international students only}
---
Edge Hill A110 Medicine with a Foundation Year
Leeds A101 Gateway to Medicine

List of med schools that were in UCAS Clearing 2019
Aston A100
Anglia Ruskin A100
Buckingham A100
Keele A100
Lancaster A100
Liverpool A100
SGUL A100
Sunderland A100
---
Nottingham at Lincoln A18L Medicine with a Foundation Year

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Spoiler below is a Medicine Clearing experience / FAQ from @BlueSpikes dating from 2018. It is incredibly useful but some information could be outdated. Click on the Spoiler to read.

Important notice: it is no longer possible from 2020 onwards to use the UCAT from that same year for that year's Clearing.

Spoiler:
Show

Hello , (I can now say i am a current first year medic)

Some may remember my thread back in summer 2018, I have recieved quite a few DMs regarding this.

So to clear it all up and let the people know this is how you should prepare for medicine in clearing in any cycle. (also procrastinating so thought id do something beneficial for others)

First of all, dont rely on UCAS search for medicine courses in clearing, go directly on University websites, if I didnt do this I wouldnt be at University today. (Ucas search definitely doesnt include everything)

Secondly, you can start looking for courses in clearing after mid July, around the 15th and do the usual email/call to each University asking if Medicine is going into clearing. Or just to be safe have a quick skim through in the start of July on every university website on their medicine page to make sure.

Thirdly, yes all offers are given after interview, it is still just as intense competition if not even more competitive to get a place. Otherwise this will be hugely unfair.
The criteria to get an interview in clearing at each respective university is also the same as it was during that application cycle or in some cases higher.

You still need a current UKCAT score for medicine in clearing.

When it comes to the point where the University confirms that medicine is in clearing for their course, each university may have a different application process, for example some uses a form that you fill in and email back to them, and some may have a direct online application form, but in all cases you can call afterwards if you want to confirm if they got your details.

Interviews are given usually quite promptly after submitting your details e.g. a few days (but obviously this will always vary)
Offers are given in my experience around a week after (again will always vary)

And also they rank your interview score etc.. as they usually would in the normal application cycle and give offers to those with the highest scores.

FAQ:

What do you mean by boosted UKCAT?
I sat ukcat again for the next years entry but used that score for clearing too. Which happened to be higher than my original sitting for the current cycle.

How exactly do you apply for clearing?
I just said you do it via form / email or online form ...read the FAQ

Where on the website can you find out about clearing medicine?
The clearing page

Is it a telephone interview?
NOOO It is an actual MMI get ready to travel to the University. (again that would be soo unfair if they randomly gave people telephone interviews, everything is the same, just later in the year.)

How many places are there?
Not a huge amount for example at Leicester there was 10 places for 64 interviews (data from FOI Request)

Can I sit my ukcat in the summer for clearing?
Yes, thats what I done to boost my score.

Can I apply to the same university I got rejected from in clearing?
You can give it a go but I think they will reject you again and look for someone else but I also know someone who managed to do that for keele after impressing at interview after previously being rejected so in any case always give it a go.

Can I get in with AAB?
No.. most Universities are still looking for standard requirements of either AAA or A*AA etc.

Can I use clearing as a backup incase I miss my grades on results day?
No, refer to above.

What are your grades?
AAA Biol Chem Maths
2610 Band 2 (SGUL cut off 2590)
10A 1D* 1B

Where did you have interviews at?
St Georges
Leicester

When are interviews held?
I did them last year one on 30th July one on 3rd August 2018

Where did you get offers from?
Both

Where you now?
Leics

How should I prepare for my clearing interviews?
Use past interview questions for respective Universities,
Use Marian Colls book ( i used it and it was helpful - not advertising hehe)
Be confident in the fact you got an interview and another chance to make it.

And if that isnt enough to reassure you, heres how my Leicester interview experience was.

Night before we booked into Victoria hotel, that was our greatest mistake, yes it was near the University. But it smelt mouldy, the beds were covered in filth, the mattresses spring was gone on one side, the windows were so old and wouldnt open enough to get adequate air in. It was a very hot night and so I couldnt sleep and I was up from 12 to 7 am struggling to sleep. Regardless I got my suit on and left as soon as possible in the morning. It was fair to say I felt like I have already failed my interview as I was sleep deprived bearing in mind my family stayed over too at this hotel! Was feeling sorry for them.

During the interview I felt like I said so many things that werent right. And after the interview i thought i failed and so I sat and googled medicine in europe e.g. bulgaria as I felt like the UK is too competitive for me.

1 week later - a life changing offer.

A few days after that. Another offer!

You can do this !

Also for anyone who did get AAA and was unlucky during clearing, consider this; (copy and paste from Uni Of Leicester selection process PDF)

3.2 Candidates with achieved A levels / IB
Provided you have attained at least grade B at first sitting in the 4 mandatory GCSE subjects, plus AAA at A level (or IB 36 or more including 666 in HL subjects) in our required subjects within 2 years of your GCSEs,AND have a total UKCAT score in the top 5 deciles with an SJT Band 1-3 we will automatically invite you tointerview provided you are within 2 years of leaving school.
(Original post by MBenafia231)
Thanks for this mate 👍
Thank you @ecolier for setting this up. I think I'm right that if you're waiting for a (post-interview) decision from even one university you're not eligible for Extra?
ecolier
Rep:
(Original post by Gill2021)
Thank you @ecolier for setting this up. I think I'm right that if you're waiting for a (post-interview) decision from even one university you're not eligible for Extra?
That's correct, you'd have to have 5 rejections (or have withdrawn from all of them).
Gill2021
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
That's correct, you'd have to have 5 rejections (or have withdrawn from all of them).
Thank you. So given the apparently long drawn out selection process, I imagine anyone waiting for decision won't get a look-in when Extra opens. I'm guessing it will probably be thin pickings anyway this year, but from past experience would any places emerge gradually in Extra or all 'land' in one go at the start? If the former, is there a closing date for Extra or does it just go on until Clearing 'takes over'?
ecolier
Rep:
Thank you. So given the apparently long drawn out selection process, I imagine anyone waiting for decision won't get a look-in when Extra opens. I'm guessing it will probably be thin pickings anyway this year, but from past experience would any places emerge gradually in Extra or all 'land' in one go at the start? If the former, is there a closing date for Extra or does it just go on until Clearing 'takes over'?
Med schools traditionally don't go into UCAS Extra, they started in 2019 (just before COVID!) and even then they didn't enter until much later on (in April / May time).

Many med schools haven't even finished interviews this week, so I wouldn't imagine they would be rushing into UCAS Extra just yet. If you're in a waiting list, definitely hold tight.
Gill2021
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Med schools traditionally don't go into UCAS Extra, they started in 2019 (just before COVID!) and even then they didn't enter until much later on (in April / May time).

Many med schools haven't even finished interviews this week, so I wouldn't imagine they would be rushing into UCAS Extra just yet. If you're in a waiting list, definitely hold tight.
Tysm! 🤞🏻
MBenafia231
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Yes u need to either reject all 5 or not have any offers from any to be eligible.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Posting to watch
ellcwelch
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Can I ask some questions please! Forgive me if this is extremely obvious but just wanted some clarification! It is looking like I am on my way to 4 rejections this year (I wasn't going to apply this year but I did last minute and have come to terms with probably having a year out and applying to graduate medicine as I am in the last year of my degree!)

However I had forgot about clearing and UCAS Extra so this is very new to me! If I get 4 rejections when will we know about what unis come onto UCAS Extra, is it a day by day thing of checking or is there a particular moment when unis know if they have an extra number of spaces etc? Sorry if someones already answered this, I am just unsure how it would work!
KA_P
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ellcwelch)
Can I ask some questions please! Forgive me if this is extremely obvious but just wanted some clarification! It is looking like I am on my way to 4 rejections this year (I wasn't going to apply this year but I did last minute and have come to terms with probably having a year out and applying to graduate medicine as I am in the last year of my degree!)

However I had forgot about clearing and UCAS Extra so this is very new to me! If I get 4 rejections when will we know about what unis come onto UCAS Extra, is it a day by day thing of checking or is there a particular moment when unis know if they have an extra number of spaces etc? Sorry if someones already answered this, I am just unsure how it would work!
You can use the UCAS search tool, email unis and call them up to find out. It will also usually say on the university's website if they're in UCAS Extra or not. I personally emailed universities at the start, called them up daily and wrote down a list of unis that were in Extra, not sure yet or definitely not in Extra.
ellcwelch
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by KA_P)
You can use the UCAS search tool, email unis and call them up to find out. It will also usually say on the university's website if they're in UCAS Extra or not. I personally emailed universities at the start, called them up daily and wrote down a list of unis that were in Extra, not sure yet or definitely not in Extra.
Amazing thank you very much!
KA_P
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Amazing thank you very much!
No worries
ellcwelch
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I assume this is going to be hardly any unis this year partaking in this as there are so many applicants per space at every medical school! But always worth a try!
KA_P
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I assume this is going to be hardly any unis this year partaking in this as there are so many applicants per space at every medical school! But always worth a try!
I'm not sure, I think unis who have offered only 100% places as offers (same number of offers as the number of places available) without a waiting list might (not aware of any that have, but it must be a possibility)? It's unpredictable.
Dabz69
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
So can you not apply for clearing if u sat your ucat for this cycle
ecolier
Rep:
(Original post by Dabz69)
So can you not apply for clearing if u sat your ucat for this cycle
If you sat the UCAT in 2021, then assuming you met the minimum requirements you may be considered for 2022 medicine via Clearing.

You can't use a UCAT 2022 score for 2022 entry.

(Original post by KA_P)
Or you can use this thread! I will keep the first post updated.
Last edited by ecolier; 2 months ago
Dabz69
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
If you sat the UCAT in 2021, then assuming you met the minimum requirements you may be considered for 2022 medicine via Clearing.

You can't use a UCAT 2022 score for 2022 entry.

Or you can use this thread! I will keep the first post updated.
Thank you so much for that clear up highly appreciated
saharali005
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Posting where to watch!
Leo12098
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by KA_P)
Hi, I have met you in the plymouth forum. May I ask that last year, did you manage get an interview via clearing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (56)
18.67%
The paper was reasonable (112)
37.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (87)
29%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
15%

Watched Threads