Medicine UCAS Extra / Clearing for 2021 entry *updated 25th February 12 noon*

Watch
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
This is the thread for Medicine Clearing / Extra 2021 Entry.

The Medicine Extra / Clearing 2020 entry thread is here.
The Medicine Extra / Clearing 2019 entry thread is here.

List of med schools that are in UCAS Extra (for 2021 Entry)

UCLan {for international students / home students in the North West only}

List of med schools that are in UCAS Clearing (for 2021 Entry)

[None - UCAS Clearing is due to open 6th July 2021]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of med schools that were in UCAS Extra 2020
Aberdeen A100 {for international students only}
Buckingham A100
Exeter A100
Glasgow A900 Glasgow Access Programme
Lancaster A100
UCLan A100 {for international students only}

List of med schools that were in UCAS Clearing 2020
Aston A100
Buckingham A100
Cambridge (St John's College) A100
Keele A100
Nottingham at Lincoln A10L
SGUL A100
Sheffield A100 {for Sheffield Hallam / Bradford students only}
Sunderland A100
QMUL Malta A100
UCLan A100 {international students only}
---
Edge Hill A110 Medicine with a Foundation Year
Leeds A101 Gateway to Medicine
Leicester A199 Medicine with a Foundation Year

List of med schools that were in UCAS Clearing 2019
Aston A100
Anglia Ruskin A100
Buckingham A100
Keele A100
Lancaster A100
Liverpool A100
Nottingham at Lincoln A10L
SGUL A100
Sunderland A100
---
Nottingham at Lincoln A18L Medicine with a Foundation Year
Leicester A199 Medicine with a Foundation Year
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Spoiler below is a Medicine Clearing experience / FAQ from @BlueSpikes dating from 2018. It is incredibly useful but some information could be outdated. Click on the Spoiler to read.

Spoiler:
Show

Hello , (I can now say i am a current first year medic)

Some may remember my thread back in summer 2018, I have recieved quite a few DMs regarding this.

So to clear it all up and let the people know this is how you should prepare for medicine in clearing in any cycle. (also procrastinating so thought id do something beneficial for others)

First of all, dont rely on UCAS search for medicine courses in clearing, go directly on University websites, if I didnt do this I wouldnt be at University today. (Ucas search definitely doesnt include everything)

Secondly, you can start looking for courses in clearing after mid July, around the 15th and do the usual email/call to each University asking if Medicine is going into clearing. Or just to be safe have a quick skim through in the start of July on every university website on their medicine page to make sure.

Thirdly, yes all offers are given after interview, it is still just as intense competition if not even more competitive to get a place. Otherwise this will be hugely unfair.
The criteria to get an interview in clearing at each respective university is also the same as it was during that application cycle or in some cases higher.

You still need a current UKCAT score for medicine in clearing.

When it comes to the point where the University confirms that medicine is in clearing for their course, each university may have a different application process, for example some uses a form that you fill in and email back to them, and some may have a direct online application form, but in all cases you can call afterwards if you want to confirm if they got your details.

Interviews are given usually quite promptly after submitting your details e.g. a few days (but obviously this will always vary)
Offers are given in my experience around a week after (again will always vary)

And also they rank your interview score etc.. as they usually would in the normal application cycle and give offers to those with the highest scores.

FAQ:

What do you mean by boosted UKCAT?
I sat ukcat again for the next years entry but used that score for clearing too. Which happened to be higher than my original sitting for the current cycle.

How exactly do you apply for clearing?
I just said you do it via form / email or online form ...read the FAQ

Where on the website can you find out about clearing medicine?
The clearing page

Is it a telephone interview?
NOOO It is an actual MMI get ready to travel to the University. (again that would be soo unfair if they randomly gave people telephone interviews, everything is the same, just later in the year.)

How many places are there?
Not a huge amount for example at Leicester there was 10 places for 64 interviews (data from FOI Request)

Can I sit my ukcat in the summer for clearing?
Yes, thats what I done to boost my score.

Can I apply to the same university I got rejected from in clearing?
You can give it a go but I think they will reject you again and look for someone else but I also know someone who managed to do that for keele after impressing at interview after previously being rejected so in any case always give it a go.

Can I get in with AAB?
No.. most Universities are still looking for standard requirements of either AAA or A*AA etc.

Can I use clearing as a backup incase I miss my grades on results day?
No, refer to above.

What are your grades?
AAA Biol Chem Maths
2610 Band 2 (SGUL cut off 2590)
10A 1D* 1B

Where did you have interviews at?
St Georges
Leicester

When are interviews held?
I did them last year one on 30th July one on 3rd August 2018

Where did you get offers from?
Both

Where you now?
Leics

How should I prepare for my clearing interviews?
Use past interview questions for respective Universities,
Use Marian Colls book ( i used it and it was helpful - not advertising hehe)
Be confident in the fact you got an interview and another chance to make it.

And if that isnt enough to reassure you, heres how my Leicester interview experience was.

Night before we booked into Victoria hotel, that was our greatest mistake, yes it was near the University. But it smelt mouldy, the beds were covered in filth, the mattresses spring was gone on one side, the windows were so old and wouldnt open enough to get adequate air in. It was a very hot night and so I couldnt sleep and I was up from 12 to 7 am struggling to sleep. Regardless I got my suit on and left as soon as possible in the morning. It was fair to say I felt like I have already failed my interview as I was sleep deprived bearing in mind my family stayed over too at this hotel! Was feeling sorry for them.

During the interview I felt like I said so many things that werent right. And after the interview i thought i failed and so I sat and googled medicine in europe e.g. bulgaria as I felt like the UK is too competitive for me.

1 week later - a life changing offer.

A few days after that. Another offer!

You can do this !

Also for anyone who did get AAA and was unlucky during clearing, consider this; (copy and paste from Uni Of Leicester selection process PDF)

3.2 Candidates with achieved A levels / IB
Provided you have attained at least grade B at first sitting in the 4 mandatory GCSE subjects, plus AAA at A level (or IB 36 or more including 666 in HL subjects) in our required subjects within 2 years of your GCSEs,AND have a total UKCAT score in the top 7 deciles with an SJT Band 1-3 we will automatically invite you tointerview provided you are within 2 years of leaving school.

Last edited by ecolier; 6 days ago
Advertisement
qwert7890
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
oof looks like I am the first one here, and might need it but I hope not! :=)

ecolier I am not sure but for the unis in clearing above where {international students only} is not specified, could internationals apply to? For example Exeter, Aston, etc.
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by qwert7890)
oof looks like I am the first one here, and might need it but I hope not! :=)

ecolier I am not sure but for the unis in clearing above where {international students only} is not specified, could internationals apply to? For example Exeter, Aston, etc.
Yes
qwert7890
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes
PRSOM. Thank you! <3
Anon???
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi - when will we know which ones are available in 2021? Is it on results day? Thanks!
Advertisement
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anon???)
Hi - when will we know which ones are available in 2021? Is it on results day? Thanks!
Well the first post says UCAS Extra starts 25th February and Clearing starts 6th July.

The bulk of Clearing activity will be around / a few days after Results Day though.
qwert7890
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anon???)
Read the first post ^^
Advertisement
Minky5050
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just to be totally clear ....
if waiting for a decision, an application ucas extra can't be made until the decisions are received? Unless withdrawn without knowing the outcome?
So if decisions aren't received till the end of March, it's a big a risk....
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Minky5050)
Just to be totally clear ....
if waiting for a decision, an application ucas extra can't be made until the decisions are received? Unless withdrawn without knowing the outcome?
So if decisions aren't received till the end of March, it's a big a risk....
You can't go into UCAS Extra unless you have absolutely no offers / you have declined everything, so yes even if you are waiting you can't enroll in UCAS Extra.
Advertisement
Minky5050
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks, that's how I read it too. Just a shame you can't add an extra choice whilst in no-man's land!
Headlesschicken
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
does anyone know how Extra works( sorry if this covered elsewhere but I can't find it)?

I have 3 pre- interview rejections and no 4 is looking likely ...UCAS says as I only put 4 choices I can't use Extra. feeling confused!
Advertisement
catn00b
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Headlesschicken)
does anyone know how Extra works( sorry if this covered elsewhere but I can't find it)?

I have 3 pre- interview rejections and no 4 is looking likely ...UCAS says as I only put 4 choices I can't use Extra. feeling confused!
I think you need to have 4 rejections / hold no offers to be eligible for extra
myow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Here's the thread for this year's Extra and Clearing: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post93695730
Advertisement
Headlesschicken
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by myow)
Here's the thread for this year's Extra and Clearing: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post93695730
Thanks - and thanks everyone else for the helpful advice! Bit stressful but as I'm almost sure I'm going to hear bad news re my 4th choice, better to have a plan of action I think 😬😨!
HPAG
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

ecolier Would you know the answer to this. Would not having put a 5th choice in the first place as opposed to putting and not accepting make one ineligible to go for extra. Theoretically if you applied only for four choices when you had five you don't need an "extra" application. But not fair on medics as they can put only four medicine.
ecolier
Rep:
?

(Original post by HPAG)
ecolier Would you know the answer to this. Would not having put a 5th choice in the first place as opposed to putting and not accepting make one ineligible to go for extra. Theoretically if you applied only for four choices when you had five you don't need an "extra" application. But not fair on medics as they can put only four medicine.
You can pick an extra choice (now / when Extra opens) if you only selected 4 med schools.
HPAG
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You can pick an extra choice (now / when Extra opens) if you only selected 4 med schools.
:thumbsup: PROSM
Advertisement
HPAG
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Headlesschicken If there is still any doubt suggest you specifically tag ecolier when you post. He's the expert on this topic (and others) to make sure he does not miss the question.
Headlesschicken
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi @ecolier and thanks for all your help on this forum! The UCAS Extra website says in the FAQs if you have not used five choices due to applying for medicine etc then you can’t use Extra to pick an extra choice - you have to apply to the uni direct to check if any extra places and then call the UCAS call centre for advice - is this what you mean? Or do you mean apply for a fifth choice now (in anything) decline it, then be eligible for Extra? This seems like a lot of extra work for the unis so maybe I misunderstand? Thanks!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Or do you mean apply for a fifth choice now (in anything) decline it, then be eligible for Extra? This seems like a lot of extra work for the unis so maybe I misunderstand? Thanks!
Yes this is what I mean :rofl:

It's a very convoluted way of getting into Extra.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (25)
13.81%
Virtual campus tours/open days (41)
22.65%
Live streaming events (16)
8.84%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (18)
9.94%
A uni comparison tool (41)
22.65%
An in-person event when available (40)
22.1%