The Student Room Group

Dont know which degree to do

I just want to vent out my frustrations a bit.

I'm lost and do not know which course to do for university as I think I lack passion in everything and doubt my abilities a lot. If I find a course that peaks my interests- the first thing I do is check the careers but I end up disappointed with the low salaries. I know I should not be fixated on money but its not an easy thing to ignore when my family is poor, I want to break the cycle and live a normal life.

I was originally planning on doing a bioscience degree (biomedical or biological science) but it stresses me out that extra qualifications are required to land a job at that field. Plus I don't know whether or not I like science or my parents forcing me to enjoy it. I question if the decisions I make for myself are mine or others'.

Anyways, yeah I have no idea which course to take and I'm taking another gap year to figure it out.
Original post by Anonymous
I just want to vent out my frustrations a bit.

I'm lost and do not know which course to do for university as I think I lack passion in everything and doubt my abilities a lot. If I find a course that peaks my interests- the first thing I do is check the careers but I end up disappointed with the low salaries. I know I should not be fixated on money but its not an easy thing to ignore when my family is poor, I want to break the cycle and live a normal life.

I was originally planning on doing a bioscience degree (biomedical or biological science) but it stresses me out that extra qualifications are required to land a job at that field. Plus I don't know whether or not I like science or my parents forcing me to enjoy it. I question if the decisions I make for myself are mine or others'.

Anyways, yeah I have no idea which course to take and I'm taking another gap year to figure it out.

Lol.

Don't do degrees because people want you to; that's usually a receipe for a shortlived career or expect a lot of stumbling in your studies. At the very least, you would be going at half your full potential since you would be wasting energy working against yourself.

Bioscience degrees do not limit you to careers in biosciences. You can often pivot and go into other careers, often because people don't expect you to know anything upon graduation. For example, with any random degree, you can go into civil services, finance, business, marketing, fashion, TV production, theatre, accounting, teaching, property,. etc. Out of 800 possible careers, only about 200 require specific degrees at university in order to get the jobs without other alternatives; this leaves 600 odd careers that can be done without a degree. Where you must need a degree to get into a specific field, they tend to be in healthcare, academia, or education. See the following:
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/explore-careers
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/sectors

Having said that, if you have no interest in the subject matter or doing a degree at university, you often don't need a degree in order to get a high paying career. High paying careers tend to fit a handful of categories and they are so because of the nature of the roles:

You have a very in demand skill that very few people have

You are very good in a particular in a skill that very few people are good at

You take on a lot of responsibility and the payoff for taking on those responsibilities are high

You are in a sales/people oriented role where you do a lot of selling

You either are dealing with large transactions or assets with very big values all with decent margins

I don't know what you are specifically looking for or what you specifically are suited to, so I can't point you in the appropriate direction. However, most of these high paying roles tend not to require advanced degrees (if any in the first place).

Some of us go into high paying careers and then do what we actually want in our spare time, which is a long and roundabout way around it, but given the economics of the situation it's usually not possible otherwise.

If you want me to look into this deeper, then you would have to elaborate in your ideas and background.
Have you ever thought that university might not be for you? Not everyone works with it and that is completely okay! There's also the option of starting a course and: dropping out (while not ideal for everyone you'd be one step closer to finding your true passion); deferring or moving degrees.

Don't pressure yourself to have everything figured out because that can take all the passion and happiness a person has for a subject or anything of the sort. Life plans change and it's okay to not have everything figured out for yourself. Give yourself a break, be kind to yourself, and know that it will work out exactly the way it needs to.

Quick Reply

Latest