The Student Room Group

I don't feel like I had the right support in my apprenticeship

I'm nearing the end of a four year apprenticeship. I'm honestly surprised I've gotten this far and now have around a month left to write my final report and create my presentation for my end point assessment.
I'm not confident I'll be kept on afterwards, however. I know I've had struggles with my mental health over the apprenticeship and have struggled a lot with juggling work and study.
I am proud of the fact that I've averaged 2.1 and firsts over the course.
Right now I just need to get over this last hurdle and then I'm done! Or more like, drag myself over the finish line.
I have been in a bit of a slump the last couple of days. I took two days of work and haven't worked on my report these past few days. I find myself really having a hard time motivating myself to continue but I know I should and I will because I haven't come this far just to not hand anything in.

The part that bugging me the most right now is that my manager has begun to do daily catch ups with me. For the purpose of supporting me in this final few months and as a way to, I suppose, evidence that I do in fact do my job when I'm working (except when I'm off being depressed, obviously. Also probably good to mention I'm currently being assessed for ADHD). Only, this feels like something that should have been done right at the start of my apprenticeship and not at the end. (And it also feels a little but just like I'm giving him a daily report of what I'm doing today and what I did yesterday. It's only been a few weeks of this and it's already rather exhausting.)
I wonder if perhaps all this time I should have had more mentoring. In retrospect, I was mostly left to my own devices unless I saught help, which I did very often. Which meant I was often left floundering for the right questions to ask and right topics to discuss because, I didn't know what was the next right thing to learn. I just gave it my best shot. And often if I asked what they thought i should do I was met with non-commital answers. (Unless this is actually normal, in which case, I'm dumb)
It's only very recently within the past few months that I feel like I've had good mentoring from a colleague who recently joined, because we'd have regular catch ups to discuss progress and he'd feedback my work and give me advice that was actually helpful.

I almost feel a little resentful that I've been struggling all this time and asking for so much help, and only now do I realise that I should have asked for these kind of mentoring sessions.

Maybe I'm just a little over-stressed, with my report and end point assessment coming up. But I'm just so tired and kind of angry and I just want to sleep for a month.
Original post by Helenjn
I'm nearing the end of a four year apprenticeship. I'm honestly surprised I've gotten this far and now have around a month left to write my final report and create my presentation for my end point assessment.
I'm not confident I'll be kept on afterwards, however. I know I've had struggles with my mental health over the apprenticeship and have struggled a lot with juggling work and study.
I am proud of the fact that I've averaged 2.1 and firsts over the course.
Right now I just need to get over this last hurdle and then I'm done! Or more like, drag myself over the finish line.
I have been in a bit of a slump the last couple of days. I took two days of work and haven't worked on my report these past few days. I find myself really having a hard time motivating myself to continue but I know I should and I will because I haven't come this far just to not hand anything in.

The part that bugging me the most right now is that my manager has begun to do daily catch ups with me. For the purpose of supporting me in this final few months and as a way to, I suppose, evidence that I do in fact do my job when I'm working (except when I'm off being depressed, obviously. Also probably good to mention I'm currently being assessed for ADHD). Only, this feels like something that should have been done right at the start of my apprenticeship and not at the end. (And it also feels a little but just like I'm giving him a daily report of what I'm doing today and what I did yesterday. It's only been a few weeks of this and it's already rather exhausting.)
I wonder if perhaps all this time I should have had more mentoring. In retrospect, I was mostly left to my own devices unless I saught help, which I did very often. Which meant I was often left floundering for the right questions to ask and right topics to discuss because, I didn't know what was the next right thing to learn. I just gave it my best shot. And often if I asked what they thought i should do I was met with non-commital answers. (Unless this is actually normal, in which case, I'm dumb)
It's only very recently within the past few months that I feel like I've had good mentoring from a colleague who recently joined, because we'd have regular catch ups to discuss progress and he'd feedback my work and give me advice that was actually helpful.

I almost feel a little resentful that I've been struggling all this time and asking for so much help, and only now do I realise that I should have asked for these kind of mentoring sessions.

Maybe I'm just a little over-stressed, with my report and end point assessment coming up. But I'm just so tired and kind of angry and I just want to sleep for a month.

Honestly, you should be so proud of yourself coming this far! I can imagine it being such a drag esp because you’re 4 years in but like you said, you NEED to build that motivation and courage to overcome that last hurdle. I really hope everything gets better! Are you doing a degree apprenticeship? If so what are you doing it in?
Reply 2
Original post by anonymoususer772
Honestly, you should be so proud of yourself coming this far! I can imagine it being such a drag esp because you’re 4 years in but like you said, you NEED to build that motivation and courage to overcome that last hurdle. I really hope everything gets better! Are you doing a degree apprenticeship? If so what are you doing it in?

Thanks, it is nice to have that acknowledged, like im being validated or something haha And yes! I do! it's bank holiday tomorrow and I'm drawing up a schedule for the day to help me get back into the swing of things with some structure. (without the worry of job work or managers).
And yes again, I'm doing a degree apprenticeship in software engineering. A little bit of technical work still needs to be done but nothing that can't be thrown together while working on my report.

but, thanks for responding, anyway. it's just nice to get the feelings out sometimes and get something positive in return :smile: I hope you have a wonderful day!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending