The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

uni

I am currently a year 13 A-level student aspiring to study computer science and going on to work in a software engineering based field.
My predicted grades are A*A*A* (maths, further maths, physics) and have always had a strong sense of education achieving 9-7 in 10 GCSEs.
I have been rejected by Imperial and UCL and have received an offer by QMUL. My worry is that I believe I could have achieved a better uni than QMUL so should I be okay with going there or will there be certain drawbacks that I will regret after graduating by not going to a top university. A gap year is something I have thought of but not yet confirmed and am now leaning towards just going to queen mary. What should I do?
Reply 1
I think for computing it shouldn't matter that much, QM is decent and what job you gets depends on how you perform at interviews. Reapplying just for Imperial is risky - the course is super competitive and 3A* is pretty typical across the Uni and not enough to get in so you also need to perform well at interview and have a great PS. Additionally, since Alevels have been devalued since covid - 3A*s isnt as impressive as it used to be, so again it's down to interview and PS.
You might have a shot at UCL but again you'd be taking a year out when if you didn't you'd be working a year earlier.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Imperial for Computer Science is extremely competitive - with approx. 5% admission rate. Reapplying is a considerable risk, so if you want to pursue that route, be very sure.
Original post by callphd
I think for computing it shouldn't matter that much, QM is decent and what job you gets depends on how you perform at interviews. Reapplying just for Imperial is risky - the course is super competitive and 3A* is pretty typical across the Uni and not enough to get in so you also need to perform well at interview and have a great PS. Additionally, since Alevels have been devalued since covid - 3A*s isnt as impressive as it used to be, so again it's down to interview and PS.
You might have a shot at UCL but again you'd be taking a year out when if you didn't you'd be working a year earlier.

missing the year is my worry, i just don't wanna come out graduating and not being able to get a job or somth of that sort
Reply 4
You can easily get a job doing computing at QM and if you're good enough, you should be able to get top interships and jobs.
Chances to get into imperial for computing are low even with 3A* and and UCL isn't that bigger step up - plus you could easily get in for a masters if you do well in your degree.

But if you don't get into UCL or Imperial, you've just wasted a year - bit of a risk
Original post by callphd
You can easily get a job doing computing at QM and if you're good enough, you should be able to get top interships and jobs.
Chances to get into imperial for computing are low even with 3A* and and UCL isn't that bigger step up - plus you could easily get in for a masters if you do well in your degree.

But if you don't get into UCL or Imperial, you've just wasted a year - bit of a risk

Tbh i dont really know how masters works, i never knew you could do it with another university until recently and how would I be able to achieve an internship without school stature. I have the knowledge but I never seem to be in luck with getting any extra curricular activity haha
Honestly everyone above saying you wasted a year isn’t true. You’re young and you have all the time to do your degree- I personally would take a gap year you don’t want to look back with regret without trying even once.

Also you may find a gap year fulfilling by working, travelling and really making sure the course you want is for you, as I find many don’t choose without proper insight.

Personally, I missed my offer for bristol econ last year by a grade by 4marks. I went to QMUL through clearing and tbh I didn’t like it and the campus is ugly lol. Its true though that as long as you work hard career prospects are not an issue but do you really want to look back with regret? I personally regretted my decision to not take a gap year. I left after first semester (January) and reapplied, and gojng to retake one of my a levels. I did this as I feel the culture at the uni isnt great/not what I was looking for and honestly if you do achieve 3A*s you are better off at a different uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending