The Student Room Group

A level difficulty

Would I struggle with A level Biology, Chemistry and Psychology with these grades: 6 in English Language, 4 in English Literature, 6-6 in combined higher science, 6 in history, 8 in Business and 5 in maths. on a scale of 1-10 how hard are these A levels. 1 being the easiest and 10 being the hardest.
Original post by suzy23
Would I struggle with A level Biology, Chemistry and Psychology with these grades: 6 in English Language, 4 in English Literature, 6-6 in combined higher science, 6 in history, 8 in Business and 5 in maths. on a scale of 1-10 how hard are these A levels. 1 being the easiest and 10 being the hardest.

First of all, A levels are meant to be hard, and certainly more difficult than GCSEs. Does your sixth form/college have entry requirements, and minimum grades needed to take certain subjects?

Don't know much about A level psychology, apart from that it's a bit science-y and a bit essay-y.

I did, however, do biology and chemistry at A level (and am studying them at uni) and… they weren't particularly easy. Biology has an awful lot of content, and I remember one of our chemistry teachers calling chemistry "the hardest A level". Both, particularly chemistry, involve a fair amount of maths as well, so you'll need to be pretty comfortable with maths at GCSE level, and there are a couple of maths-y things which are also encountered in A level maths (however A level maths is not completely necessary to understand these). And obviously a decent understanding and knowledge of the core concepts taught in GCSE science is an essential "base" for building on at A level!
Original post by bl0bf1sh
First of all, A levels are meant to be hard, and certainly more difficult than GCSEs. Does your sixth form/college have entry requirements, and minimum grades needed to take certain subjects?

Don't know much about A level psychology, apart from that it's a bit science-y and a bit essay-y.

I did, however, do biology and chemistry at A level (and am studying them at uni) and… they weren't particularly easy. Biology has an awful lot of content, and I remember one of our chemistry teachers calling chemistry "the hardest A level". Both, particularly chemistry, involve a fair amount of maths as well, so you'll need to be pretty comfortable with maths at GCSE level, and there are a couple of maths-y things which are also encountered in A level maths (however A level maths is not completely necessary to understand these). And obviously a decent understanding and knowledge of the core concepts taught in GCSE science is an essential "base" for building on at A level!

The grades for Science, English and other subject are good they meet the requirement but maths is the issue since I am at a high 5 in GCSE maths. Do you know anyone taking these A levels with a 5 in maths. Im going to try and convince my sixth form to let me take these subjects and Im going to resit my Maths after finishing A levels to do Higher maths and obtain a grade 7 and then go into uni.
(edited 1 year ago)
i did a level biology and psychology with a 6 in triple science biology and a 5 in both english subjects (my year got predicted grades though) and i struggled a lot with biology. psychology was fine but both subjects have a LOT of content and it a lot to handle alongside taking chemistry.
Original post by okayykayy
i did a level biology and psychology with a 6 in triple science biology and a 5 in both english subjects (my year got predicted grades though) and i struggled a lot with biology. psychology was fine but both subjects have a LOT of content and it a lot to handle alongside taking chemistry.

May I know what you got in your maths?
Original post by suzy23
May I know what you got in your maths?

i got a 6!

Quick Reply

Latest