The Student Room Group

How do i write faster in essay based exams?

The problem is I can only manage 600 words in 40 mins. It's not the handwriting that's holding me back, it's the thinking. I get so bogged down in the analysis it wastes so much time.

I take English Literature. A top essay is 1300 words in 40 - 45 mins.

What should i do?
hey! one of my friends does english lit/essay subjects, she tends to condense her analysis in a few key words, and when she practises at home, she adds a weight to her pen to help her write faster (it may not sound like the best technique but it worked for her!) this really helped her to manage her time well, she also, sets a certain amount of time for analysis, she promises herself not to go longer than that and just tends to start her essay, and it was mainly just her doing practise essays on a weekly basis in timed conditions, and asking her teachers to mark them!
Original post by reneee603
hey! one of my friends does english lit/essay subjects, she tends to condense her analysis in a few key words, and when she practises at home, she adds a weight to her pen to help her write faster (it may not sound like the best technique but it worked for her!) this really helped her to manage her time well, she also, sets a certain amount of time for analysis, she promises herself not to go longer than that and just tends to start her essay, and it was mainly just her doing practise essays on a weekly basis in timed conditions, and asking her teachers to mark them!

for exams in general, not just for english.

do you think consistent exam practice = better time management?
Original post by McDonaldsEmploy
for exams in general, not just for english.

do you think consistent exam practice = better time management?

yes of course! exam practise gives you an idea of what the actual exam may consist of, and you get better at answering questions as you begin to understand what the examiners are actually looking for, and especially doing more exam practise in timed conditions will definitely help improve your time management skills!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending