The Student Room Group

Awful experience with Computer Science

Feels as if my CS teacher didn't teach anyone anything.
Every lesson he'd just waffle on about nothing, and give up Craig n Dave powerpoints, never actually teaching us how to do what was in them. He'd put videos up on the board (with dreadful speakers might I add) and then proceed to get really confused about what was happening in them. He spoke extremely slowly, constantly got simple facts wrong, etc etc, and then he had the balls to just dip halfway through year 13 and leave us without an actual teacher for the rest of the year. In addition to all of this - he was an absolute prick. Extremely demeaning, rude, insulting - all that stuff. I've walked out of multiple of his lessons before, and have argued with him on multiple occasions. Right now, we're just tolling away at our NEA for the rest of the year, I guess. I've done like 5 pages and don't have much else to write.

I've looked into past papers from previous exams and for half of it I don't know what's happening. It's extremely ******* overwhelming and I barely even know what I don't know - let alone have the effort to even try learning at this point. My experience over the past 2 years has been having all my motivation for learning and **** slowly drained from me - having two teachers leave, both of which knew basically nothing about the damn subject in the first place, as well as a ton of other **** I don't even want to get into.

I don't even bother attending lessons anymore. My classmates spend the whole thing watching Youtube or playing games, the teacher just sort of sits there and doesn't do much. I can't even run my project at school anyway - don't have administrator access to the computers, so I can't install the right libraries. I see zero benefit to going in-person.
I've heard that a lot of people have had similar experiences to me - specifically with the whole "**** teachers" thing. Considering this is my last subject (kicked out of English, failed Esports because it shared the same teachers) and it's going this awfully, I'm just a tad worried, for lack of a better word. Apprenticeships and jobs in my area only need GCSE results anyway, so I'm wondering why I've even done any of this in the first place if it's just going to result in a ******* fail anyway.
Original post by tsushimadatenshi
Every lesson he'd just waffle on about nothing, and give up Craig n Dave powerpoints, never actually teaching us how to do what was in them. He'd put videos up on the board (with dreadful speakers might I add) and then proceed to get really confused about what was happening in them. He spoke extremely slowly, constantly got simple facts wrong, etc etc, and then he had the balls to just dip halfway through year 13 and leave us without an actual teacher for the rest of the year. In addition to all of this - he was an absolute prick. Extremely demeaning, rude, insulting - all that stuff. I've walked out of multiple of his lessons before, and have argued with him on multiple occasions. Right now, we're just tolling away at our NEA for the rest of the year, I guess. I've done like 5 pages and don't have much else to write.

I've looked into past papers from previous exams and for half of it I don't know what's happening. It's extremely ******* overwhelming and I barely even know what I don't know - let alone have the effort to even try learning at this point. My experience over the past 2 years has been having all my motivation for learning and **** slowly drained from me - having two teachers leave, both of which knew basically nothing about the damn subject in the first place, as well as a ton of other **** I don't even want to get into.

I don't even bother attending lessons anymore. My classmates spend the whole thing watching Youtube or playing games, the teacher just sort of sits there and doesn't do much. I can't even run my project at school anyway - don't have administrator access to the computers, so I can't install the right libraries. I see zero benefit to going in-person.
I've heard that a lot of people have had similar experiences to me - specifically with the whole "**** teachers" thing. Considering this is my last subject (kicked out of English, failed Esports because it shared the same teachers) and it's going this awfully, I'm just a tad worried, for lack of a better word. Apprenticeships and jobs in my area only need GCSE results anyway, so I'm wondering why I've even done any of this in the first place if it's just going to result in a ******* fail anyway.

Relax and Calm Down. Stuff like this happens. Read here and I will explain. So basically, as long as you have access to textbooks, the internet, and the course syllabus you should be fine, and at least able to achieve a B/C grade in the subject. If you don't like your teaching staff do not worry about them too much, cooperate during lessons and then do your own independent stuff when you go home. If you can try getting help and resources online on websites like TSR, I am sure someone will be nice enough to understand your situation. Chill and Enjoy.

Are your school writing to the universities to explain this?

You have to do the learning yourself. I guarantee anyone and especially you because you're passionate about it can get an A* in a month. You just have to know how to answer exam questions. A-level Computer Science is like 30% common sense anyway. Trust me if you focus for a month doing questions after questions and REVIEWING them you will get your A*. Just don't let emotions get to you, once you've worked hard enough you will get that vision in your head where you know you'll get A* because of how much you've progressed. I know people who only fully understood the content in the last month of A-levels and they got into Unis eryting. It just depends on how bad you want it.
Reply 4

Sorry to hear this. It really isn't fair is it? Make sure you write to your school / college before you leave with some facts of what you experienced. How else can things improve for others if no one knows, although to be fair, someone should be checking.

But others have said the main points. You can still achieve. If you are AQA you have around 6 weeks to cram as much as you can. Focus on past papers (get him to print them for you) as a study guide and pay attention to the mark schemes.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending