The Student Room Group

Someone help me fix my life (career advice, medicine or economics)

I am in year 13. I do Bio Chem Maths and I am hoping to get A*A*A respectively for results. I have applied to medicine and i have gotten 2 post-interview rejections, 1 pre interview rejection and I have been waitlisted by belfast. I got 2500 in the UCAT and 4.9,5 and 2.5A for BMAT.

I have always been torn between medicine and the "corporate" world. But I chose medicine instead because of my love for Human biology and the non-repetitive nature of the job. Helping people in medicine is just the icing on the cake and medicine as a degree itself is amazing.

However, I am sick of barely "staying afloat" in terms of academics. This medicine process has taught me that even though I always prepare so much in advance and I always try to get ahead, I always end up in last place. Maybe I am being dramatic but I feel like im not cut out to do medicine. If im having mental breakdowns about not being able to get an A in maths then how could I possibly survive the harsh conditions of the NHS. Also, everything about being a doctor is amazing the conditions are just UGH.

The other career sector I am intrested in is economics. This is because I cannot decide between finance, accountancy and business management and from the information I have been able to find, economics allows you to do all of these. I dont think I have a very good insight into the career, but I have been asking around to gain some insight. A big problem I have with economics is theirs either Ba or BSC. I suck at essays (as u can tell from my BMAT) and I am struggling to get an A in maths (stuck on a B). I can do differentiation and intregration so maybe the maths might not be a huge problem . But I want to find something I am naturally good at or else I will end up struggling to stay a float. Human biology is so easy to grasp, so maybe i am naturally suited for medicine. But If I am hesitant about medicine in the first place then maybe I shouldn't do it.

Please help
Hi, you seem to be a very hard worker for already doing so much before university and that's such an awesome thing! The A levels you have chosen are a ridiculously hard combination so don't be so tough on yourself! You're trying your best and that's what matters, you should be proud of that fact. Academics are difficult and both of the career paths you're considering are known to be some of the most difficult, what you're feeling is valid and understandable - you're not being dramatic ( you sound more chill than some people I've known when it's come down to this). If you're struggling to improve in maths try exploring different revision methods, past exam papers from different exam boards, videos on yt, flashcards, study groups - it's a difficult subject and I wish you all the best with it.

In my experience I had a terrible time with my A levels and it was a bad experience for me, a lot of the students at uni I've spoken to have said that A levels were more difficult and stressful than the degree itself - it is nerve-racking especially with trying to think of future prospects, choosing uni and absorbing so much knowledge. In regards to your career, my best advice is to do something you're interested in and passionate about; this is because as you work it will be a learning experience. If you're feeling daunted by the idea of choosing then a gap year is also an option, you can also try to explore the different career types by taking on work experience ('forage' website has virtual work experience) and 'prospects UK' has a lot of job information and job profiles for each sector.

It's very natural to struggle with academics, that's why it's a learning journey - people don't always pick things up the first time. It's very normal and I have faith that you'll do really well, you're clearly a very motivated hard working student.

Hope this helps - Good luck with everything :smile:
Heya!
It sounds like you're in a tough spot. You're passionate about medicine, but you're also struggling with the academics. You're also not sure if you're cut out for the harsh conditions of the NHS.

It's important to remember that you're not alone. Many people struggle with the academics of medicine. It's a challenging field, and it requires a lot of hard work. But it's also a very rewarding field, and it can be incredibly satisfying to help people.

If you're really passionate about medicine, I would encourage you to keep going. Don't give up on your dreams just because you're struggling with the academics. There are many resources available to help you succeed, such as tutoring, study groups, and online resources.

But if you're not sure if medicine is the right field for you, then it's important to explore other options. Economics is a great field with many different career opportunities. You could work in finance, accounting, business management, or even government.

The best way to decide what you want to do is to shadow someone in each field. Shadow a doctor and see what it's like to work in the NHS. Shadow an economist and see what it's like to work in the corporate world. Once you've seen both sides, you'll be in a better position to make a decision.

No matter what you decide, remember that you're still young. You have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do with your life. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Just take things one step at a time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending