The Student Room Group

Too old for a new career?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scotney
Are you doing it full time?

I'm not no, I'm doing it part time. 2 years left to do after this one.

Hubby is doing it full time. He's got 1 year left to do after this one.
Original post by Matstudy86
I’m a mother with good A levels and what I would call above average intelligence (capable) a but no university degree because I was an immature little so and so.
I floundered in lots of random jobs that didn’t require a lot of brain power but I’d love to do an apprenticeship or a degree and begin a meaningful rewarding career, I’m mid 30s and feel like I’m too old.

Any advice where to find apprenticeships or payed training that older people can apply for?

My interests are history, English, literature, writing and women’s rights.

Thanks

@Matstudy86
I was born in '86 too, what a brilliant year :smile:

Firstly I would see if the A level grades that you have would meet the entry requirements for going to University once you have chosen a subject you want to study. Degree's associated with a particular profession such as Nursing and Midwifery have specific requirements to get onto them.

Perhaps an Access to HE course is the right option for you? It is a one year program which is aimed at getting you into a specific area (I lecture in Nursing). The course is typically made up of 3 modules, for my lot it is Health Science, Human Biology and Health Studies or Psychology. Most programs have tutorials to support you with study skills and applying for University.

As you have already used up your " level 3 allocation" as it is colloquially known you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to cover the entire course. If you go on to complete your degree (which I am sure you will), the Access year loan is completely written off - that is the unique selling point for Access.

Most of my learners are young mums (other pathways have a broader demographic of students) and all that extra life experience really helps :smile:

I would speak to the course lead in your local F.E college to see if the course would be right for you. Typical other programs are Engineering, Social Sciences, Science, Business and ICT. Others are available

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 22
Thank you all!
Original post by Matstudy86
Oh I’d completely be willing to do anything relevant but im just not sure what there is put there and how to go about finding it! I wish there was a website with a list or quiz somewhere of all the jobs relevant to certain interests.

This might help:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending