The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Danules
But you can't go into literature analysis because it isnt a career. So science has many careers with actual transferable skills.

...And English Lit does not have transferable skills? :rolleyes:
Literature encapsulates a period of time. If that's "useless", then you are just plain ignorant.
Reply 62
Sanyore
Sciences smell like social retardation.

:cry:
I would express myself more wordily but... I can't :frown:
Reply 63
Oratory...
understanding bias....
being able to point out errors in speech/write political speeches
work in advertising....
go into research...
teaching....
global element in degree subject... (yeah, English is steadily being spoken almost everywhere now)
Deciphering skills, especially if taking a linguistics element in the literature degree....
Access to a wide range of novels and books that one may not have access to if not at university....
Cultural and historical approaches to history.....
Aspects of philosophical theory in literary criticism....
Being able to understand what the heck is going on in Newsnight....

Just some of the examples of things you can do with a literature degree.....
Reply 64
Why does everything have to be useful? :s-smilie: I don't see how uselessness is such a criticism...
Reply 65
No No No. Quite simply.
Reply 66
Laith
English smells like cows

:rolleyes:
Don't mind people analysing it. I do mind it when teachers enforce a slow lingering death on students through dull lessons to deliver it. I'm sure Shakespeare didn't have such classes and exams in mind when writing those plays...

Sorry - really bad experience with English Lit teachers and English Lit university students - with the exception of my ex and her mates who were both passionate about the subject and had more than a clue about it.
Afrikaans Boytjie
Last time I checked English Literature graduates also pay taxes :smile:

what the **** are you on about????????????
thepiglette
An English Literature degree is of some benefit; those taking one generally know how to spell 'interest' :yeah:

OK, that was a cop-out, but so is this thread.

Hahahaha that's amazing! :shakehand:
Danules
Whilst analysing literature is useless it is an intrest subject. However it is a waste of money on funding on degrees on this intrest where no skills that benefit people are gained.

Yes, culture is a waste of time, just like life. You may now proceed to Level 2. :rolleyes:
Reply 71
Da Bachtopus
Yes, culture is a waste of time, just like life. You may now proceed to Level 2. :rolleyes:

Culture is not analysing literature. Useful culture is food. Because thats something we eat, a key life skill. Hoewever analysing literature is not edible. It is the most basic scientific classification system but unfortunately you but an english slant on culture, where really it should be edible or unedible
happy watermelon
Hahahaha that's amazing! :shakehand:
:five:
Danules
Culture is not analysing literature. Useful culture is food. Because thats something we eat, a key life skill. Hoewever analysing literature is not edible. It is the most basic scientific classification system but unfortunately you but an english slant on culture, where really it should be edible or unedible

Culture is anything that comes after merely sustained life, under which basic nutrition falls. Culture is useless; but then merely sustained life is too. Analysing literature is a part of our culture.

Anyway, you're a boring troll. Are you sure posting here is really more fun than *******, or are you on tea break?

edit: wow, ok so "masturbating" is attacked by the swear filter too. Wicksie doodle cocks.
eulerwaswrong
what the **** are you on about????????????

''Oh who gives a toss, study what you want and leave others alone, jesus... '' You replied...''taxpayer?'' I was merely pointing out that since English Literature graduates also pay taxes. The expenditure suffered by educating them, is compensated anyway...
Afrikaans Boytjie
English literature serves a purpose in many ways. For example, how long would it take a mthematician or physicist take to re-learn all their laws and derivations, they would not contribute much to adding to society's knowledge on their respective subject. Equally, with an English Literature degree, many graduates actually create some of their own literature, and sometimes even publish it *GASP* . They do this using the skills learnt from analysing previous literary masters, and occasionaly will improve on them, the same way math and science people do it. And if you're going to argue that books and fiction too are uselss, your opinion is contrary to most triple-digit IQ's... And anticipating another alternative attack on the actual lecturers who don't actually write anything themselves... We need someone to actually guide these prospective authors, so their job serves a purpose too...

What you just said doesn't make sense... are you sure your an english student?
Reply 76
I think we're done ranting here.

Latest

Trending

Trending