The Student Room Group

A level subjects query+How to build CV from a younger age

I am a Y11 student going into y12 and I have a keen interest in mathematics trying to pursue a career in Acturial science or Economics. What would be good A level combinations to secure places in top unis(LSE, QM).Also many have told me that after degrees related to finance it becomes really hard to land a top job, so I just wanted to ask what can I start doing now to build on things like my CV so I can make sure after graduating I could be in a position where it is slightly easier for job opportunities.
At Lancaster University, the Economics course requires AAB with a B in Mathematics, and no other A level requirements. So you should take Mathematics and two other A levels.
In terms of building your CV, you can do super-curricular and extracurricular activities as well as focusing on your A levels so you can get impressive results on them.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Original post by js234
I am a Y11 student going into y12 and I have a keen interest in mathematics trying to pursue a career in Acturial science or Economics. What would be good A level combinations to secure places in top unis(LSE, QM).Also many have told me that after degrees related to finance it becomes really hard to land a top job, so I just wanted to ask what can I start doing now to build on things like my CV so I can make sure after graduating I could be in a position where it is slightly easier for job opportunities.

Going to a good uni does helps you in securing that top job

You should pick maths, further maths, physics and economics as your A level combination coz that's the best for econ.

You should focus on super curriculars, MOOC's and yea just stalk some finance people on LinkedIn to see what they have on their cv and that should be a good indication of what you should do!

Also, QM is nowhere near as LSE I think in terms of being competitive and ranking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending