The Student Room Group

TA role and doing lunchtime duty

Hi. I work as an SEN ta new job through agency. Dome really well settled in and getting to know the 1-2-1 however they gave now asked me to cover lunch duty vev with him in canteen and supervise play outside. However I'm autistic myself and struggle to be in canteen areas for long time other then passing. What do i do? Will this mean i lose my job just because i feel unable to be with him I'm canteen (wasn't aware of this before and the 1-2-1s needs doesn't automatically men this) . I'm happy to playground. Or he outside canteen while his on there.
Do i speak directly to school or get agency to speak to school? Agency aware
Or do i leave. I can fulfill everything else. Other places sone have been okay about it and swapped me so someone covers me during this time and i have my break them rather then later others have not been supportive. I'm scared worried.
Have you discussed this with HR and advised them you have a condition requiring reasonable adjustments under the equality act?
Original post by artful_lounger
Have you discussed this with HR and advised them you have a condition requiring reasonable adjustments under the equality act?

I am working in this school through an agency on temp contract up to end of July 2024, started last Monday. Agency are aware of my conditions but these don't disclosed to school unless such situations arise. Therefore i don't know who HR are. When your through agency in think they deal with everything.
I know the Equality exists very good reason buy unfortunately most places this seems to fall through. When the direct school job i had that didn't work didn't accept and with agency well they just ask for replacement. So hurt dunno what to do!? I'd like to stay on if they can bar past this. I'm also worried about the after effecys with my other work place there was q visible change in how they saw me before and after disclose.
Original post by unknownforever
I am working in this school through an agency on temp contract up to end of July 2024, started last Monday. Agency are aware of my conditions but these don't disclosed to school unless such situations arise. Therefore i don't know who HR are. When your through agency in think they deal with everything.
I know the Equality exists very good reason buy unfortunately most places this seems to fall through. When the direct school job i had that didn't work didn't accept and with agency well they just ask for replacement. So hurt dunno what to do!? I'd like to stay on if they can bar past this. I'm also worried about the after effecys with my other work place there was q visible change in how they saw me before and after disclose.

While your agency will deal with your HR issues around pay etc, ultimately it's the school which is the environment you are working in so any reasonable adjustments need to be made by then. You will have a line manager at the school presumably - ask them who you can discuss HR matters with at the school.

Note that telling HR you need reasonable adjustments doesn't mean you are telling everyone else, and HR should not be informing anyone else without your consent about your specific diagnosis etc, only what the reasonable adjustments you need may be.
Spoke to school they have said i have my break them and she was going to think about what to to during that time. But then today in was toke because I'm 1-2-1 and not general class based ta i dont get a break. Last week i was told i do just at a different time bit now got told i don't get a break. I'm only entitled to 30mins but i have to be done for a certain time so if for whatever reason i got to lunch slightly later then i just get the remaining. Seems unfair. All other places I've 1-2-1 I've had a proper 10min break not just ''comfort "
(edited 7 months ago)
Spoke to school they have said i have my break them and she was going to think about what to to during that time. But then today in was toke because I'm 1-2-1 and not general class based ta i dont get a break. Last week i was told i do just at a different time bit now got told i don't get a break. I'm only entitled to 30mins but i have to be done for a certain time so if for whatever reason i got to lunch slightly later then i just get the remaining. Seems unfair. All other places I've 1-2-1 I've had a proper 10min break not just ''comfort "

This is really something you need to work through with your employer and agency. I would recommend you review your contract first and see what it says though, as it should specify what kind of breaks you are entitled to normally.
Reply 6

Hmmmm - you are entitled to 20 minutes of uninterrupted break if you are contracted to work more than 6 hours per day.
https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work

Seems a bit harsh. For me, given this is a temporary contract I would look around to see if there is something else. I can't help but feel TAs get paid less than minimum wage. A full time job on minimum wage now comes in at around £20k+ yet TAs start on £17,364 with all the responsibility and additional workload. I don't know how you do it but I take my hat off to you.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending