The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Here's How to Feel Confident About Starting University in September.

Starting at university in a new city with new people can be a daunting thing, but it doesn’t have to be. All of those nerves are completely normal, and I can guarantee that most other freshers will be feeling them too. So, here are my tips about feeling confident when starting university in September.
1. Back Yourself.

Firstly, you are good enough to be here. You have put in so much hard work up to this point to gain a place on your degree, so you deserve to be here. Never forget that. It may seem scary to think about exams, coursework and lectures, but you have proven yourself to be academically capable to go to university; you can do this.

It is so easy to compare yourself to others around you, but try not to. You are an individual, unique and amazing person, so just be you.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
2. Take Care of the Admin Be Organised and Prepared.

Make sure that you have sorted your accommodation, taken care of your Student Finance Application and done all your pre-uni shopping. I found that being organised and knowing that everything was in place ready for me to go to uni made me feel much more at ease.

This applies to starting your studies too. It really helps me to use a diary to lay out all of my timetabled lectures, workshops, placements and revision so that I know where I need to be and when. This is also really handy for time management and will help you to stay on top of deadlines and assignments and achieve your goals.
3. Try and Connect With Your New Flatmates or Course Friends Before Starting.

Most universities set up Facebook or WhatsApp groups for students that are just about to start. Make the most of these. I’d really recommend dropping your new halls flatmates a message, or messaging some of your new course friends. This can help you to feel much less awkward about meeting these people for the first time and it feels much nicer walking into lectures or halls for the first time knowing you have at least spoken to someone and will be able to find a familiar face.
4. Have a Healthy Routine.

Make sure you keep up with your usual self-care and morning/evening routines. Having a robust routine that helps to reduce your stress levels can help you to keep good mental wellbeing. Keeping your routines will help your productivity day to day and will help you keep on top of things and maintain a good sleep schedule, which will all help you feel more confident and less stressed.
5. Put Yourself Forward for New Opportunities.

Things like Freshers’ Fayre are great for this. There are plenty of societies and student clubs around that can help you make friends really quickly as well as harnessing your extracurricular interests. It can be difficult sometimes, but I’d really recommend putting yourself out there and making the effort to make friends and try new things. Afterall, university years are some of the best years of your life; make the most of them!

Attending Open Days and induction events can also be beneficial, really helping you to settle in.

In summary, be yourself and I’m sure you’ll be absolutely fine.

Why not check out our other content on Making Friends and Finding New Experiences,’ Leaving Home for the First Time and Making Halls Your Home for more information on these topics.

Hope Henry Swansea Student Ambassador and Third Year Graduate Entry Medicine Student.

Quick Reply

Latest