The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Here's to Making Friends and Finding New Experiences

Worried about making friends or settling into Swansea? Concerned about finding hobbies? Hopefully the below post will convince you that you need not worry and that you will thrive if you come to join us at Swansea University.
1. Societies

We are lucky at Swansea to have such a multitude of societies available to us. Whether you’re a nerd with a specific interest, highly talented at a particular skill, looking to meet new friends or just looking to get out of the house, Swansea will have a society for you. From belting your lungs out Acapella style through to Anime and Manga, Baking, Film, Hogwarts, K-Pop and Cheese and Wine, Swansea will have something for you. And if it doesn’t, why not apply to the Student’s Union to create it and leave yourself a legacy at Swansea University?

Have a look at all our societies at the following link https://www.swansea-union.co.uk/get_involved/societies/.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
2. Sport Swansea

If sport is your thing, or if you have always been interested in trying a sport out, Swansea is the perfect place to do it. With the Welsh National Pool across the road from Singleton Campus in the Swansea Bay Sports Park, we really do have the best facilities. Swansea Bay Sports Park houses a gym, the pool, tracks, courts, pitches etc. Anything you could want is there. There are also gym facilities based on the Bay Campus which have recently undergone significant renovations making sport accessible on both campuses.

I personally was a part of the rowing club for a while as I was an international athlete upon coming to Swansea University. If you are an athlete at the top heights of your sport, Sport Swansea offers High Performance Scholarships, so they are worth looking at. Please see the below link: https://www.swansea.ac.uk/sport/high-performance/.
3. Student’s Union Facilities

We have the best SU here at Swansea. The full-time officers are always taking feedback on board from current students to better our experiences in real time. On Singleton Campus, the SU bar is JC’s which offers food, drink, and a place to study in the daytime, but also karaoke, quizzes, streaming of sports matches and other events in the evenings. I personally think that the prices behind the bar are really affordable. JC’s have also been offering free cost of living breakfasts once a week lately, recognising how the current cost of living crisis is impacting us as students.

Singleton Campus boasts many places to eat with Costcutter, Root, Greggs, Tortilla, Blas, and the Refectory to name a few places available for students.

Finally, and arguably most excitingly, Rebound is reopening! You may have heard of the legends of Tooters, the on-campus nightclub at Swansea; now called Rebound this has recently had a £1 million refurb.

Over on Bay Campus are the likes of Tafarn Tawe, Subway, Tesco and Coffeeopolis.

There really is something for everyone and in places such as Root all alternative dietary requirements are taken care of.
4. NO Pressure to Drink Alcohol

Gone are the days of peer pressure and being forced to drink alcohol at university. Swansea really prides itself on looking after the welfare of its students, and all societies and sports clubs at Swansea will run sober socials to ensure that their events are accessible for all, whether you drink alcohol or not. Additionally, most religions have their own societies to provide specific religious events if that interests you.

We are also incredibly blessed by our surroundings, so why not make the most of Swansea as a city, but also of the Gower and some of Swansea’s many beaches.
5. Discover New Experiences at Swansea University

With over 150 societies and 50 sports clubs, there’s loads to keep you entertained between lectures at Swansea! Whether you want to try something new, continue a hobby or have your voice heard, there’s a way for everyone to join in! Why not find out more about our student clubs and societies?

I hope that this post will convince you that no matter who you are, where you come from or what interests you have, you will fit in, make friends, and have amazing new experiences at Swansea University. It must be amazing as I have stayed to do my second degree here!

Hope - Student Ambassador and Second Year Graduate Entry Medicine at Swansea University.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest