The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Making Halls Your Home.

1. Bring your favourite homely pieces with you.

Whether it’s your favourite blanket or pictures of your family and friends, having some home comforts around you can make the transition from being at home to living independently at university much easier. I personally brought things like pictures of my family, my favourite bedding, and some battery powered fairy lights to make my room feel comfortable and homely. You will be in halls for a year, so it is worth putting a little effort in to make your room a lovely environment.

2. Get some greenery.

A bit of greenery will go a long way to brightening up your room. For example, buying succulents or fake plants (if you are useless at plant keeping like me) can add a fresh feeling to your room and give you that little pop of colour and brightness.

3. Establish a routine.

Try and establish a routine when you first get to university. When you are up you can make the bed, do your skincare, and lay out your pyjamas for the evening. Little routines like that can help you to feel at home. It’s great how much of a difference having a routine can make.

4. Make Kitchen Rules.

To avoid messy nightmarish student kitchens, make sure that you and your flatmates split up the cupboard/fridge space so that you have a place for your own stuff in the kitchen. Make sure you keep on top of cleaning and dishes too!

Having a home environment that makes you feel safe, and that you are comfortable and happy in is really important. Make steps early to get this in place. Stick to the rules of the accommodation, yes, but put your own stamp on the place. It will really help you to settle in.

Hope Henry Swansea Student Ambassador and Second Year Graduate Entry Medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest