The Student Room Group

feel like im not doing enough for my grades

It's the second week of Year 11 for me, and I have started doing about two hours of revision per day but I plan to increase it as mocks approach soon

I cobbled together a timetable in PD and am 'testing it out' this week

right now i'm switching between revision techniques to see what is effective for me but i somehow feel what im doing isnt enough

what i did tonight was i watched through freescienelessons physics and took notes when i needed them then after he was done talking i tried looking up exam questions related to it and had a go but i couldnt do all of them

i know i should do flashcards and memorise everything completely but i do not have the energy to do that when i know im likely going to forget before mocks

i could do the revision guides too or go through the collins connect library

please help what am i doing wrong
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by kylantwom
It's the second week of Year 11 for me, and I have started doing about two hours of revision per day but I plan to increase it as mocks approach soon

right now i'm switching between revision techniques to see what is effective for me but i somehow feel what im doing isnt enough

what i did tonight was i watched through freescienelessons physics and took notes when i needed them then after he was done talking i tried looking up exam questions related to it and had a go but i couldnt do all of them

i know i should do flashcards and memorise everything completely but i do not have the energy to do that when i know im likely going to forget before mocks

I think you're putting too much pressure on yourself. It seems to me you're doing what you're meant to be doing regarding revision, you just need to relax and try not to stress yourself out regarding exams. I know exams are really pressurized, but in reality you're in control and you will get out of an exam what you want to achieve I think. If you're worried speak to your teachers to find revision techniques that are right for you-if you speak to them they will help you, that's what they're there for. Also if it helps, use YouTube and forums to help with revision and with physics.
Original post by kylantwom

You aren't doing anything wrong. Perhaps you are stressing yourself out and giving yourself high expectations to do well.

Yesterday, you had a look at physics and had a go at both actively understanding the content and actively testing yourself with the content. That's good progress!

For now, perhaps try to get as much practice done as possible before mocks start, which you have time for! And keep your notes for when you're stuck or don't really understand something within the topic, so you can refer back to it, you don't need to memorise everything so don't worry. The best thing you can do for science especially is revise practicals and know your equations as those most often pop up in exams, you can also try to get practice done and identify the sub-topics/specific things you are weak in.

It's ok to switch between revision techniques, because every time you do so you are finding out what works best for you and it's important to do that to find out the best way you learn. My main tip would be to use practice/past papers like from pmt, mme revise and of course the website from your exam board (like AQA for example). You can also have a look at any particular topics or questions you see popping up in nearly every practice/past paper and if you want you can prioritise those topics/questions if you are short on time.

Finally, please don't burn yourself out or put too much pressure on yourself, because every time you study or do revision, you are getting that much better within your subjects and be proud of all the hardwork you've put in so far! It takes a lot of dedication and effort to take the time to revise or study whichever subjects you need to instead of deciding to not do anything. The grades you get from mocks or any other exam in your life only really test one type of intelligence, which means that your grades don't define you at all and it's ok to take some rest for a couple of days (as you might be tired and you don't want to burn yourself out).

I hope that helps and good luck, you can do this!
Reply 3
How much are you planning to increase your revision hours to?
Reply 4
Original post by Flk10
How much are you planning to increase your revision hours to?

I'm not sure yet, but maybe 4 1/2~ hours a day in in the October half term? Divided into sessions in the morning and sessions later in the evening.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest