The Student Room Group

Can job centre help me get my old job back?

Let's say I declined the offer on the day I was meant to start and the employer is probably upset with me because they had a lot of losses, like organising inductions, signing paperwork and getting a worker to come and collect me from the bus stop. I decided last minute not to take this job because they told me last minute about the change in location which is too far for me.
Reply 1
What makes you think the job is still available? Was the change in location advertised?
So if it’s too far for you why do you want the job back? And no, it’s unlikely you would be considered for the job again because declining last minute is very, very bad form (tbf, so is the employer changing location last minute). Besides, the job has probably already been given to someone else by now.
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
What makes you think the job is still available? Was the change in location advertised?

The job is still advertised (but weirdly with a different amount of money). The location is not advertised though, they trick people advertising one location but make you go to the second site as the first site is not built yet
Reply 4
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
So if it’s too far for you why do you want the job back? And no, it’s unlikely you would be considered for the job again because declining last minute is very, very bad form (tbf, so is the employer changing location last minute). Besides, the job has probably already been given to someone else by now.

The second location is too far for me, the original location is not built yet and they advertise the original one and trick people into thinking it's there but they make you go to the second site in the city.
Reply 5

I don't really want the job back, there were more pros than cons but one of the cons is the location and that's the main thing. I also hate that it's male dominated and I will be one of 3 girls there in the second site. It was just a question because now the job centre is going to ask why I am not in work as they know that I am meant to be working
Original post by Anony345533
I don't really want the job back, there were more pros than cons but one of the cons is the location and that's the main thing. I also hate that it's male dominated and I will be one of 3 girls there in the second site. It was just a question because now the job centre is going to ask why I am not in work as they know that I am meant to be working

I think it's pretty reasonable to explain to the job centre that you were duped into working at a location that wasn't the one advertised. Location is a pretty big consideration for most people when looking for jobs so I would say that's a legitimate reason for declining.
I think you'd raised this a couple of weeks ago. As before, it's up to the employer, but they're not likely to be interested in having you. Especially if the training provider recently said "you've said no and decided not to give it a go so they don't want to know you", (from the other thread).

The job centre will be concerned as this sounds like a regular occurrence:

- Would anything happen if I constantly applied for jobs and declined at the last minute
- I usually reject after a day due to severe exhaustion, do you think it's right that I accept the apprenticeship then?

Declining a job because the information about the location was incorrect should not be down to you, but if it is a reasonable commute then that is your decision. If you cannot complete a single days work without exhaustion then you need to get signed off because this will just keep happening otherwise.

Also, how far is the second location from the original one advertised?
Reply 9
Also, how far is the second location from the original one advertised?

28 minutes, and I used the postcode of the sports direct shop because as far as I know the original site is not built yet.

I was just wondering though if job centre are desperate to get people into work would they contact your previous employer and get you your old job back?
Reply 10
Original post by Admit-One
I think you'd raised this a couple of weeks ago. As before, it's up to the employer, but they're not likely to be interested in having you. Especially if the training provider recently said "you've said no and decided not to give it a go so they don't want to know you", (from the other thread).

The job centre will be concerned as this sounds like a regular occurrence:

- Would anything happen if I constantly applied for jobs and declined at the last minute
- I usually reject after a day due to severe exhaustion, do you think it's right that I accept the apprenticeship then?

Declining a job because the information about the location was incorrect should not be down to you, but if it is a reasonable commute then that is your decision. If you cannot complete a single days work without exhaustion then you need to get signed off because this will just keep happening otherwise.

This is the first time the job centre knows I had a job and declined, and I don't usually get offered jobs (well it tends to be apprenticeships) but twice I was offered this year and the job centre had no clue, the first time was the dangerous location for the reason for me declining and I wasn't even aware of the location until I applied as indeed doesn't specify.

This time I thought I was going to go to my job as I thought I was going to the original site and then they switched it to the second site and think to tell me full details 3 days before but gradually telling me over a period of time, I thought about going even to the second site but decided on the day I was meant to go like half an hour before I was supposed to meet my manager that I wasn't going to go as it is too far and I would have been half an hour late so I would have gone there at 8:30, not 8:00 which is when I was supposed to start, which also gives a bad impression, and my job centre appointment clashes with the first day of my apprenticeship so I had to tell them I got a job and now that I didn't take it up I could get into trouble.
This is the first time the job centre knows I had a job and declined, and I don't usually get offered jobs (well it tends to be apprenticeships) but twice I was offered this year and the job centre had no clue, the first time was the dangerous location for the reason for me declining and I wasn't even aware of the location until I applied as indeed doesn't specify.

This time I thought I was going to go to my job as I thought I was going to the original site and then they switched it to the second site and think to tell me full details 3 days before but gradually telling me over a period of time, I thought about going even to the second site but decided on the day I was meant to go like half an hour before I was supposed to meet my manager that I wasn't going to go as it is too far and I would have been half an hour late so I would have gone there at 8:30, not 8:00 which is when I was supposed to start, which also gives a bad impression, and my job centre appointment clashes with the first day of my apprenticeship so I had to tell them I got a job and now that I didn't take it up I could get into trouble.

Why not just tell them you've got an apprenticeship lined up?
Reply 12

Because I don't have an apprenticeship lined up. I declined both jobs that I was offered this year. I don't have anything lined up
(edited 12 months ago)
28 minutes, and I used the postcode of the sports direct shop because as far as I know the original site is not built yet.

I was just wondering though if job centre are desperate to get people into work would they contact your previous employer and get you your old job back?

Doubt it. I dont think they are that desperate to get people into work
And would the employer let you back?
Reply 14

Well I meant when I did have this apprenticeship I told the job centre I had an apprenticeship lined up
Reply 15

Job centre knew I had an apprenticeship but they are not aware that I declined it yet. I was thinking about what I should tell them. It would be better if I told them the truth but I already messaged them saying "they let me go because they couldn't accommodate to my disability" which is technically true.

The training provider saying "you've said no so they don't want to know you" that was one person from the training provider who doesn't live in London and she's quite harsh whilst everyone else is lenient
If I am honest I think you are anxious about work, (distance, gender diversity, safety etc.), and are tying yourself in knots trying not to appear like you are declining things for no reason. All roles are going to require some aspect of compromise, and I think you need support with either your physical or MH so that you are in a place where you can accept a place then continue with it.
Reply 17
If I am honest I think you are anxious about work, (distance, gender diversity, safety etc.), and are tying yourself in knots trying not to appear like you are declining things for no reason. All roles are going to require some aspect of compromise, and I think you need support with either your physical or MH so that you are in a place where you can accept a place then continue with it.

It's not about that, I have travelling issues and many jobs have an equal amount of men and women, this second job that I had was male dominated. I can't read maps to save my life.

I don't know if you know this but I have an eating disorder and I am not recovering but I am still expected to work, I have limited capability for work and I can't even take care of myself so how am I meant to go to work? I also have a genetic disorder which means I am small and weak and has an impact on my weight too and that could be why I suffer from exhaustion after a day's work.
(edited 12 months ago)

Doubt it. And job centre can't force an employer to take you back, so job centre may be able to contact them but it's entirely up to the employer whether they're willing to reconsider you.
Reply 19

I would rather a remote role so I don't need to worry about anything but there are very few remote apprenticeships. I am getting no where with job applications but with apprenticeship applications I am making progress.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending