The Student Room Group

Transferring to a US Uni

Hey guys.

I am very much in the dark about this, but i'd love to spend a year or transfer altogether to a uni in the US. The problem is though is that i'm already a fresher at university, and I'm meant to go to Japan for my third year,though i'd love to spend either my second or third year studying in the US.

I don't suppose anyone could give me a clue on wth to start? :smile:
Reply 1
Go on the admissions websites of a few unis that interest you; most take transfer applicants and have detailed instructions though at the top schools it is VERY competitive (sometimes far more than for undergrad) and some of the really good ones (I think Princeton is one of them) don't take transfers, but a lot do take you to start in the second/third year of a four-year degree :biggrin:
Reply 2
I don't believe SOAS offers any exchange programmes outside of the Law UofLondon/Columbia one, so as Agneisse said, you're going to need to do transfer applications to US colleges. That means that you effectively sever all ties with SOAS, though, and instead get your degree from whatever US college you transfer to. It also means that you won't be able to do the Japan transfer, and you'll have to think very hard about funding, because you'd be considered to be studying full-time at a US degree-granting institution which means no student loan or maintenance grant to cover the much higher US fees, leaving you to rely on scholarships.
Reply 3
numb3rb0y
I don't believe SOAS offers any exchange programmes outside of the Law UofLondon/Columbia one, so as Agneisse said, you're going to need to do transfer applications to US colleges. That means that you effectively sever all ties with SOAS, though, and instead get your degree from whatever US college you transfer to. It also means that you won't be able to do the Japan transfer, and you'll have to think very hard about funding, because you'd be considered to be studying full-time at a US degree-granting institution which means no student loan or maintenance grant to cover the much higher US fees, leaving you to rely on scholarships.

Completely agree with this: if you plan to transfer completely do your research! =) You will probably have to take basic studies, so plan for that and ALWAYS check the tuition fees and cost of living. It's a lot of money. Sincerely, I would only go as an exchange student, but that's my opinion.

About the exchange, you should probably go talk to your OIP and see what agreements you have with US unis. Hikari, out of curiosity, why do you wanna come to US?

And I envy you so much, going to Japan! I wouldn't give that up =P. Do you know to which city you would go?

Latest

Trending

Trending