Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2023 Entry

Watch
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Welcome to the A100 Medicine 2023 entry thread.

Other useful threads
Medical Schools Index 2023 entry (for specific med school entry discussions): (not made yet)
GEM 2023 entry discussion: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6655172
UCAT 2023 entry discussion: (not made yet)
BMAT 2023 entry discussion: (not made yet)
GAMSAT 2023 entry discussion: (not made yet)

Previous A100 threads
A100 2022: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6545350
A100 2021: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6101390
A100 2020: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5476254
A100 2019: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4874330

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
unknowgal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi im in year 11 now and am hopefully going to do medicine in university. I was just wondering loads of things like what alevels do you need, the grades, the best unis. Or even any advice to do with it or how to prepare for example work experience😁
npic9
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I’m a law student however my partner is a med student and so I think this is how it goes.

You’re going to have to take Chemistry and Biology for A level. I think you can choose for your third subject ( it’s better if it’s physics, maths, further maths or psychology )

Most universities will require you to achieve AAA and you’re going to need to do a test called the UCAT or BMAT. The extra test is to show that you can stand out since medicine is so competitive.

You’re also going to need a lot of work experience such as volunteering. A lot of hospitals do accept volunteers so maybe get in touch when you feel comfortable to do so ( considering it’s the pandemic ).

There are also other routes such as doing a biomedicine degree for 3 years then doing a medicine post graduate degree for an extra 4-5 years. However it’s way more competitive than undergraduate and I think you may need to self fund.

You can also study medicine in other countries, that typically have very low a level grade entry requirements ( such as Bulgaria ) and teach in English. After your degree is finished then you just have to do a conversion test.
unknowgal
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thank you so much this was so so helpful. Yes for alevels i would like to take biology, chemistry and then either health and social care or psychology. My mum is a mental health nurse and there are loads of volunteering work in her department. Hopefully by the time im doing my alevels covid will be over and i would love to go on a volunteer trip to somewhere like Uganda or Nepal. What type of things does the UCAT test contain do you know?
username5567480
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by unknowgal)
Hi im in year 11 now and am hopefully going to do medicine in university. I was just wondering loads of things like what alevels do you need, the grades, the best unis. Or even any advice to do with it or how to prepare for example work experience😁
Thank you so much this was so so helpful. Yes for alevels i would like to take biology, chemistry and then either health and social care or psychology. My mum is a mental health nurse and there are loads of volunteering work in her department. Hopefully by the time im doing my alevels covid will be over and i would love to go on a volunteer trip to somewhere like Uganda or Nepal. What type of things does the UCAT test contain do you know?
:hi:
Read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine - It contains all the information you need to know about applying to Medicine, the admission tests, entry requirements etc

And in terms of work experience, there’s virtual work experience you can do. Here are the links:

https://bsmsoutreach.thinkific.com/courses/VWE

https://www.rcgp.org.uk/training-exa...bserve-gp.aspx

And there’s no “best” unis for medicine. All medical degrees are accredited by the GMC so all medical schools in the UK are good. So pick your med school according to your stats, location, teaching styles, student satisfaction etc.

Hope this helps and good luck!
npic9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Your welcome! Sorry I don’t know much about what’s on the UCAT, I think there are videos about it on YouTube
unknowgal
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thank you so much for all the links and information its so helpful😁
username5567480
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
No problem
username5567480
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Also when you want to reply to someone on here or any other thread, you can click “quote” which is under the post you want to reply to, so that the user can get the notification that you have replied to them or the user can see you’re talking to them :yep:
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by DSKE)
Also when you want to reply to someone on here or any other thread, you can click “quote” which is under the post you want to reply to, so that the user can get the notification that you have replied to them or the user can see you’re talking to them :yep:
Or if you’re on a phone, hold down the message you want to reply with by touching the screen for like 2 seconds then the ‘quote’ button should come up.
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 4 months ago
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by npic9)
I think you can choose for your third subject ( it’s better if it’s physics, maths, further maths or psychology )
Not sure this is the case. Only 1 or 2 specific colleges at Cambridge prefer a 3rd A level in a STEM subject. All other universities for Medicine within the UK would happily accept a 3rd A level in Maths, German, English Lit, Sociology, Philosophy etc.
npic9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Not sure this is the case. Only 1 or 2 specific colleges at Cambridge prefer a 3rd A level in a STEM subject. All other universities for Medicine within the UK would happily accept a 3rd A level in Maths, German, English Lit, Sociology, Philosophy etc.
I did mention that you can choose for your third subject, I got told that doing a third stem subject may be more helpful
username5567480
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by npic9)
I did mention that you can choose for your third subject, I got told that doing a third stem subject may be more helpful
Doing a third science subject (including maths) is helpful if you know you can get an A/A* in that subject and you enjoy it, but if you don’t enjoy it and you think you can’t get an A/A* in that subject, it’s better if you choose a subject you enjoy most and you think you can get the necessary grade in. It’s better to have AAA where the third subject is not science rather than AAD where the third subject is a science
Last edited by username5567480; 4 months ago
tbg1213
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, Im a year 12 student wanting to do medicine. I’ve moved back to the uk last august and unfortunately since I wouldn’t have lived in the uk three years prior to the start of my academic year of university, I would be considered an international student. Since I can not afford that, i've been forced to take a gap year so I would be considered a home student when I apply. I was wondering about the timeline for applying to universities after a gap year. From my understanding, I would apply around October after year 13, however wouldn’t that mean i've actually only got a few months after college to build my application instead of a year off? Thats not really a whole year to build my application as everyone says it is? Im just really confused... hope someone can help
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by tbg1213)
Hi, Im a year 12 student wanting to do medicine. I’ve moved back to the uk last august and unfortunately since I wouldn’t have lived in the uk three years prior to the start of my academic year of university, I would be considered an international student. Since I can not afford that, i've been forced to take a gap year so I would be considered a home student when I apply. I was wondering about the timeline for applying to universities after a gap year. From my understanding, I would apply around October after year 13, however wouldn’t that mean i've actually only got a few months after college to build my application instead of a year off? Thats not really a whole year to build my application as everyone says it is? Im just really confused... hope someone can help
If you are staying here purely for educational purposes then the three years wouldn't count and you'd still be an international student.

You apply in October the year before you want to start, and you do the UCAT the year before you want to start. So if you wanted to start med school in 2022, you apply in October 2021 and do the UCAT in Summer 2021; if you wanted to start in 2023, you apply in 2022.

You can do the work experience etc. any time you want - even now if you can manage. Some med schools may have a time limit for WEx but it wouldn't be a year or two, more like 3 or more years.

Remember that for non gap year students, they'd have to prepare their UCAT, BMAT, work experience, interviews etc. all while studying their A-Levels. It's actually easier for gap year students to have the few months.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
tbg1213
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
If you are staying here purely for educational purposes then the three years wouldn't count and you'd still be an international student.

You apply in October the year before you want to start, and you do the UCAT the year before you want to start. So if you wanted to start med school in 2022, you apply in October 2021 and do the UCAT in Summer 2021; if you wanted to start in 2023, you apply in 2022.

You can do the work experience etc. any time you want - even now if you can manage. Some med schools may have a time limit for WEx but it wouldn't be a year or two, more like 3 or more years.

Remember that for non gap year students, they'd have to prepare their UCAT, BMAT, work experience, interviews etc. all while studying their A-Levels. It's actually easier for gap year students to have the few months.
Ive moved back to live here as a resident, so i would definitely be considered a home student if i attend university on September 2022. So i guess i wouldn’t really have a whole year to prepare my application? I actually havent done any gcses since ive just moved back, but i am studying for the maths and english gcses right now, just to have that extra qualification. Would i really need gcses when i apply as a gap year student tho?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Ive moved back to live here as a resident, so i would definitely be considered a home student if i attend university on September 2022. So i guess i wouldn’t really have a whole year to prepare my application? I actually havent done any gcses since ive just moved back, but i am studying for the maths and english gcses right now, just to have that extra qualification. Would i really need gcses when i apply as a gap year student tho?
Gap year student status wouldn't give you an advantage, so yes you'd still need to meet all the requirements otherwise you'll be automatically rejected.

Plus, the earliest you can plan for med school now is 2022 anyway since you missed the deadline for 2021 entry by > 4 months (even if you applied as an international student).

You'll need to (1) stay in this thread for discussion with other 2022 applicants (2) start preparing for UCAT in a couple of months' time (3) start research into med schools after you have your UCAT score (4) get your personal statement and be ready to apply by October 2021.
tbg1213
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Gap year student status wouldn't give you an advantage, so yes you'd still need to meet all the requirements otherwise you'll be automatically rejected.

Plus, the earliest you can plan for med school now is 2022 anyway since you missed the deadline for 2021 entry by > 4 months (even if you applied as an international student).

You'll need to (1) stay in this thread for discussion with other 2022 applicants (2) start preparing for UCAT in a couple of months' time (3) start research into med schools after you have your UCAT score (4) get your personal statement and be ready to apply by October 2021.
Sorry, i've made a typo. i meant to say September 2023, so that means id apply in October 2022. When i emailed manchester university about not having the right number of gcses to apply with, they told me i could apply with my a level exams instead?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Sorry, i've made a typo. i meant to say September 2023, so that means id apply in October 2022. When i emailed manchester university about not having the right number of gcses to apply with, they told me i could apply with my a level exams instead?
Strange, minimum entry requirements are just that = minimum.

You can't compensate one aspect of your application by another.

But what do you mean by the right "number" of GCSEs though? Plenty of med schools literally only ask for Grade 6 in English Language, Maths or Sciences and that's it. Maybe it's the case here.

GANFYD the super-expert will be able to correct me if I'm wrong (especially with Manchester A106).
username5567480
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Strange, minimum entry requirements are just that = minimum.

You can't compensate one aspect of your application by another.

But what do you mean by the right "number" of GCSEs though? Plenty of med schools literally only ask for Grade 6 in English Language, Maths or Sciences and that's it. Maybe it's the case here.

GANFYD the super-expert will be able to correct me if I'm wrong (especially with Manchester A106).
I’m not GANFYD sorry but this is what it says on their website:

If you have already achieved your A-level grades (and these meet the above requirements) but do not have the required GCSE grades you may still be considered.
To be considered you must have a minimum of grade B (6) in GCSE English Language and Mathematics. Dual Award Science must be offered at minimum BB (66) or the sciences at minimum grade B (6) at GCSE or AS-level.
This is not an automatic right and you should contact the admissions team prior to application to determine your eligibility to apply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (76)
29.69%
No (180)
70.31%

Watched Threads