The Student Room Group

Are people with 2.2s good PHD students?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WannabeAPhD
For PhD it was more about whether the proposal is interesting to the supervisor and whether they can see themselves working well with you. I got a 2:2 and it hasn't done me any harm at all in life. Perfect academic students are often lacking in people skills... some posts on here might be proof of that point.
I'm struggling a lot. I'm very worried
No , at all
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm struggling a lot. I'm very worried
About someone with a 2.2 degree doing better than you?
Original post by black tea
About someone with a 2.2 degree doing better than you?

No. But I know that a Senior Lecturer was treating a PhD student with no respect because he knew the student had a 2.2

They don't get respect and department doesn't want to take them
No. But I know that a Senior Lecturer was treating a PhD student with no respect because he knew the student had a 2.2
if it doesn't apply to you, why are you worried about it?
if it doesn't apply to you, why are you worried about it?
Because they are not considered worthy
Because they are not considered worthy
Considered not worthy of what and by whom? Someone who doesn't feel confident enough to post their opinions under their real user name?
Considered not worthy of what and by whom? A coward who doesn't feel confident enough to post their opinions under their real user name?

🔥🔥🔥
Original post by ageshallnot
🔥🔥🔥
I fear this person is actually struggling ladies and maybe a bit of compassion might not go amiss.Links with another thread currently running.Thanks.
I'm sure there's a higher volume of undergrads with 1st's struggling to find work than those with 2:2's looking at, or completing PhD's. Not sure why you would be so worried about one group over the other.

Academics have all kinds of weird attitudes that wouldn't fly in the workplace. You learn to deal with it.
Maybe they didn't have great lecturers or they had to do a group project and the rest of the group let them down or they had mental health problems during their degree or who knows what else. There are a million other reasons why someone might get a 2:2 than that they are 'pathetic' students,

I think you need to concentrate on yourself and your own self esteem. If you're struggling a lot and worried then why not concentrate on that rather than what is going on for other people?
it depends which yoony gave you the 2:2.

an Oxford 2:2 would be comparable to a starred first from somewhere like Luton ? :beard:
As an aside, I have a 2:2 and it's never something that has worried me or I've felt self-conscious about. Indeed, it was a great achievement for me.

If someone branded me pathetic it's a lot more revealing about their self esteem than anything. I'd have a good laugh about it though.
Reply 33
That lecturer is a snobbish nobhead. Dead easy. I've met plenty of them.
Original post by gjd800
That lecturer is a snobbish nobhead. Dead easy. I've met plenty of them.

Well Idk but in my department students with 2.2 were frowned upon
Original post by Admit-One
As an aside, I have a 2:2 and it's never something that has worried me or I've felt self-conscious about. Indeed, it was a great achievement for me.
If someone branded me pathetic it's a lot more revealing about their self esteem than anything. I'd have a good laugh about it though.

2.2 in what subject?
Original post by Jakson123
Maybe they didn't have great lecturers or they had to do a group project and the rest of the group let them down or they had mental health problems during their degree or who knows what else. There are a million other reasons why someone might get a 2:2 than that they are 'pathetic' students,
I think you need to concentrate on yourself and your own self esteem. If you're struggling a lot and worried then why not concentrate on that rather than what is going on for other people?

OK as you say
Original post by Anonymous
2.2 in what subject?

Niche computing related. Not run any more.

No one I've ever met has cared about my classification. We're not 12.
Reply 38
Well Idk but in my department students with 2.2 were frowned upon
I do know. I am an academic and see *****y attitudes every day.
Original post by Admit-One

this is too-too funny

:woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending