The Student Room Group

The best universities for film and tv production?

at the moment all i have chosen is

Middlesex and New Bucks

but i've heard bad things about them both

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
UCLan?
Reply 2
had a look through that looked through loads of unis actually im too picky thats my problem, il have another look
Reply 3
Let me know if you want any info about UCLan.
Reply 4
well i would if you dont mind, what is it like?
Reply 5
Personally, I love the course. It's flexible, with high-quality education and facilities, and is just generally excellent.
I'm going to sound very biased if I carry on because I love the course/uni so much, so any specific questions that I can sound less biased about? :tongue:;
Isn't Bournemouth meant to be good for this type of stuff?
Reply 7
TuckingFypo™
Isn't Bournemouth meant to be good for this type of stuff?

:yep:
Reply 8
cpj1987
Personally, I love the course. It's flexible, with high-quality education and facilities, and is just generally excellent.
I'm going to sound very biased if I carry on because I love the course/uni so much, so any specific questions that I can sound less biased about? :tongue:;

what is the campus like? and is the course enjoyable?
I hear Hertfordshire also has a very reputable film and tv production course, a few of my friends have applied for it and are more likely to either firm/insurance it.
Reply 10
Erin_Mairead
what is the campus like? and is the course enjoyable?

The campus is good. It's a bit of a mish-mash; some nice buildings, some less nice, some modern and some old, but it's got everything you could want, and is only five minutes walk from the centre. The Media Factory is the newest building, and looks like a giant Lego toy. :p:
The overall atmosphere of the uni is a friendly, fun one.
As for the course, it's very enjoyable. It has everything you could want or need, it's adaptable, and the tutors are all people who have worked, or still do work, in the industry. You're treated as an equal; a member of the production team WITH them, rather than being subject to a students/tutor relationship, and you can also take elective modules elsewhere (for example, a language, media theory...) to widen your knowledge base. :smile:
Reply 11
I'm applying for film production at Leeds Met, Gloucestershire, Bucks, York St John and Arts insitute of Bournemouth (but didn't get into that!) Leeds Met is the one I think I wanna go to followed by Gloucestershire which looks good too. I don't really know if these are good to be honest, but just to give you ideas!
Reply 12
bournemouth is probably one of the best uni's for media studies......
Reply 13
HTB11
I'm applying for film production at Leeds Met, Gloucestershire, Bucks, York St John and Arts insitute of Bournemouth (but didn't get into that!) Leeds Met is the one I think I wanna go to followed by Gloucestershire which looks good too. I don't really know if these are good to be honest, but just to give you ideas!

thanks im still looking into it lol :smile:
Reply 14
I am in my second year of Television Production at Chester, and although it's not really well known, it's a very good course.

It's not got much of a name to it, but Padagte Campus (as what the Warrington Campus used to be known as) is quite big in the media industry, some of my friends that are already working in the industry have commented that people knew of padgate and respected it. Only problem is that because Chester bought the campus a couple of years ago, it's lost that automatic credence.

All I can say is out of my friends in 3rd year, one is already working for ITV (was researcher, now has been promoted), one has a reference from Caroline Quentin and has helped film a whole series of Blue Murder, a few are doing corporate work and others work as audience hosts etc...

Plus, with the BBC moving up to Manchester, they have just made official links with the University of Chester.

---

That said, Uclan has very good facilities that blow ours away, but I know their lectruers don't have the same experience ours do (all 3 tv lecturers have worked in the industry, one did the Pilot for This Morning- and just made a play going around the north about Bill Shankly, one still works for Granada part time but is lecturing since she's just had a baby, and the other does corporate work all over the north west.)

In the end though, your uni will only be what you make of it. Visit all the places first (before applying) and then pick the ones that make you want to stay. I know people that loved a course but couldn't stand the make up of the place, and other people that loved the place but hated the course.

Which kind of atmosphere you looking for- smaller, more personal. Or huge and busy?
Reply 15
jacobson3

That said, Uclan has very good facilities that blow ours away, but I know their lectruers don't have the same experience ours do (all 3 tv lecturers have worked in the industry, one did the Pilot for This Morning- and just made a play going around the north about Bill Shankly, one still works for Granada part time but is lecturing since she's just had a baby, and the other does corporate work all over the north west.)

Incorrect. All UCLan lecturers are very experienced in the industry; either lecturing after retirement from manty years in the industry, or working alongside their current jobs in their relevant fields. :smile:
I'm planning on doing TV Production at Gloucestershire because it just blew me away at my interview. Pittville Studios is a small campus (one of I think 4 for the university) that focuses on art/media/communications (I think) and just looks really nice. Great location (you can see "Mt. Gloucester", as the students I met called it, from some of the accomodation on campus or from the refectory) and the technology is great there. Ruth Kelham is in charge of the course and used to work on the Leeds Course for TVP, but moved to Gloucester. She has lots of industry experience, which has given her a lot of contacts in the industry, and she has sorted out lots of placements for work experience. She moved the work experience time from the end of the second year to the end of the third year, because lots of students get offered jobs but can't take them at the end of the second year due to not having finished their degree. I'm not sure about the other person who teaches.

Although ... I assume by now you've sent your application off?
Reply 17
LastLordofTime
I'm planning on doing TV Production at Gloucestershire because it just blew me away at my interview. Pittville Studios is a small campus (one of I think 4 for the university) that focuses on art/media/communications (I think) and just looks really nice. Great location (you can see "Mt. Gloucester", as the students I met called it, from some of the accomodation on campus or from the refectory) and the technology is great there. Ruth Kelham is in charge of the course and used to work on the Leeds Course for TVP, but moved to Gloucester. She has lots of industry experience, which has given her a lot of contacts in the industry, and she has sorted out lots of placements for work experience. She moved the work experience time from the end of the second year to the end of the third year, because lots of students get offered jobs but can't take them at the end of the second year due to not having finished their degree. I'm not sure about the other person who teaches.

Although ... I assume by now you've sent your application off?

Thanks for the advice i'l look into it, no im not applying til later this year im just get well organized now

the ones i have chosen so far are

Middlesex, Edge Hill, Bournemouth and New Bucks does anyone know anything about these?

Thanks
Reply 18
Erin_Mairead
Thanks for the advice i'l look into it, no im not applying til later this year im just get well organized now

the ones i have chosen so far are

Middlesex, Edge Hill, Bournemouth and New Bucks does anyone know anything about these?

Thanks

Bournemouth is an excellent university for the course. I applied there, and was very impressed aside from the fact that the university seems to have a very formal education style which didn't appeal to me. The courses are renowned, the facilities excellent, and the competition tough.
Yeah, a lot of people recommend Bournemouth for the course. When I applied my Head of 6th Form (who is also my English teacher) said that she was surprised I wasn't applying there. Apparantly some people transferred from Bournemouth to Gloucestershire.

Gloucestershire has the benefit of being a Skillset Media Academy ... which you'll have to do some digging in to yourself to find out about. The same with Middlesex.

The 5 I applied to for TV Production are Gloucestershire, Leeds, Leeds Trinity and Middlesex with Film and TV Production at York St. John. Leeds is probably the most well known/respected out of those, and also does the placement in the third year rather than the second (something that you should make sure to check, as it could have an give a quicker employment rate since the company you go with will put you on a project, and you'll end up leaving before it's finished most likely, so instead of hiring someone else who hasn't done it before they can just keep you on in a paid position because you're experienced at that job and they've seen how you work.)

You've got plenty of time anyway. Make sure to go to any Open Days you can. I would have discounted Gloucestershire immediately if I hadn't gone for an interview there, because it just didn't seem like the place for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending