The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh, GRRRRR

Right, today I got a rejection from Edinburgh, and the reason they gave is that I do not have high enough grades at AS, and I am not predicted good enough grades at A-Level. However, I got 4 A at AS, and am predicted 3A's at A-level. The course only asks for 3 damn B grades. I am totally fuming, this is the one excuse they could have given me that is objective; I have objective evidence that they are wrong, as I DO have the best grades possible. If they had said something subjective, such as 'you are not the person we are looking for', then I couldn't argue with it and would accept it. But frankly, as things stand, this is ********

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
perhaps there's been a mix up, ring them up and explain you're a little confused by the reason as you have the grades, so was wondering if you could have further feedback.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I bet they've made a mistake -- my friend got rejected from Leeds, called up and asked why, and turns out they'd read her grades wrong!
edit - and then they gave her an offer.
Ring them and see.
Peace Bunny
Right, today I got a rejection from Edinburgh, and the reason they gave is that I do not have high enough grades at AS, and I am not predicted good enough grades at A-Level. However, I got 4 A at AS, and am predicted 3A's at A-level. The course only asks for 3 damn B grades. I am totally fuming, this is the one excuse they could have given me that is objective; I have objective evidence that they are wrong, as I DO have the best grades possible. If they had said something subjective, such as 'you are not the person we are looking for', then I couldn't argue with it and would accept it. But frankly, as things stand, this is ********

They may have made a mistake. I think you should phone up the admissions office NOW and get further feedback. If you got a rejection with those grades then then I am completely fecked for Law.
Reply 4
Thing is I emailed them just moments ago, maybe I should wait for a reply?
Reply 5
you could wait it'd be best to wait but i'm sure they won't get annoyed if you ring, considering how upsetting it is!
Peace Bunny
Thing is I emailed them just moments ago, maybe I should wait for a reply?

E-mailed them. I would doubt that you would get a reply as the number of e-mails coming into them at this time asking questions etc will be huge. I would just call them as you are more likely to get am answer.
Reply 7
Peace Bunny
The course only asks for 3 damn B grades

They don't "ask" for three B grades in that the majority of the students given offers will have a prediction of BBB. The typical offer is BBB. Not quite the same thing.

Sorry for the rejection. It could just be that they weren't able to give specific feedback so gave some generic reply. Perhaps they have you mixed up with someone else.

It's worth contacting them (by phone) and checking it out but it's unlikely that they've made a mistake. Sorry.
Reply 8
jeez thats harsh lol
It might be that there was high demand for the course and in that case they prefer students from the area and then the rest of Scotland. They also prefer students those parents haven't entered further education and maybe your personal statement wasn't as good as others?
But you should definately check they didn't make any mistakes first!:smile:
Reply 10
I can't get through on the phone right now, which sucks. I wouldn't mind if they said they had too many good applicants, or my personal statement wasn't good enough, but the fact is people will get offers with the grades I have, so my grades cannot be the deciding factor. I will follow it up, but I expect it will remain a rejection. Very pants :frown:
Peace Bunny
Very pants :frown:

You're applying to do one of the most popular undergraduate courses at Edinburgh. You must surely have been aware before applying that this was case. Rejection's never nice, but get over it.
Reply 12
I don't think you understand. I am not annoyed with my rejection, so long as I am given a reason that makes sense. Saying I do not meet the entry requirements is FALSE, as I do. I am annoyed as it feels as if I have not been given a reasonable answer
Hmm, almost exactly the same thing happened to me last year (albeit for a different subject)...I put it down to the fact that I wasn't Scottish :rolleyes:
Reply 14
Hmm, well I will chase it up, just so I know why. I like to know why with things like this, as it can help in the future. We shall see, thanks for your help though guys, sorry for 'not getting over it' quick enough, but it only happened today. I'll be fine I'm sure, Uni of Bath here I come, haha
Reply 15
The required grades as seen in the prospectus are really the bare minimum - people with grades far exceeding them often get rejected. That said, phone up the registry folks at the Uni - they might have made a mistake.
Reply 16
I tried phoning and they said they cannot do anything over the phone. Also, it said in my letter that I did not meet the 'minimum requirements' in terms of grades. Maybe they just mean lots of people had better grades? But it kind of suggests my grades wouldn't have been good enough regardless, which is the thing I want to clear up with them. Oh well
Peace Bunny
I tried phoning and they said they cannot do anything over the phone. Also, it said in my letter that I did not meet the 'minimum requirements' in terms of grades. Maybe they just mean lots of people had better grades? But it kind of suggests my grades wouldn't have been good enough regardless, which is the thing I want to clear up with them. Oh well

Did they say how it could be cleared up? Do you have to e-mail them or write a letter?
Reply 18
E-mail is fine. She just said 'Email us with anything about your rejection, we cannot handle it here due to the high volume of calls' which is fair enough
Reply 19
Er, maybe your personal statement is ****?

Latest

Trending

Trending