The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I've got a similar issue with not having the language GCSE/ Standard Grade. I however had my education disrupted due to illness which meant i missed out on too much of the language to do it at standard grade (missed first and second year of doing the language). Would this be classed as extentuating circumstances, and how would I let them know about this?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Euan...
Would this be classed as extenuating circumstances, and how would I let them know about this?

The best thing to do would be to ring someone at admissions up, they'll be able to answer both your questions.
Reply 62
I've just read the BBB discussion, and I was wondering if anyone knows how the IB fits in to this? I've applied with a prediction of 34, which is what they class as equivalent to BBB, so I guess I'm in a pretty bad position?
Reply 63
afua12
I've just read the BBB discussion, and I was wondering if anyone knows how the IB fits in to this? I've applied with a prediction of 34, which is what they class as equivalent to BBB, so I guess I'm in a pretty bad position?

Like most universities, they acknowledge the difficulty of the IB program and so usually consider IB as a higher standard than A-levels. I applied with the same predicted as you, and I got an offer for Economics and Politics in February. :smile: So don't worry, admissions are holistic and they'll consider you, your personal statement will probably be the deciding factor. :yep:
Reply 64
that's a relief!
but hmm my personal statement isn't great. It's half German, half Chinese because that's what I've applied for everywhere else, but it isn't an official combination at Edinburgh, so I just applied for German with the intention of taking Chinese as my second subject...
oh well, I guess I'll find out soon enough (or not, slooow Edinburgh...)
oxymoronic
(Which were all certified. I think it is a complete joke that people can hide their AS grades on UCAS).

sorry to be pernickety - but it's not a case of 'hiding' your grades. My school didn't ever cash in anybody's AS grades so I actually wasn't allowed to put mine on my UCAS - I would have liked to, but to put them on would have technically been declaring grades I didn't actually have.
caffee
When I went to the open day last year I spoke to the admissions tutor. I was (at the time) applying for English Literature. When I told her this she asked me what my A levels were... when I replied she said... "Don't bother". I had gone to the open day because of the BBB offer advertised in their prospectus. they gave me a sheet of paper which said (i am doing this from memory) that applicants are put in numerical order based on grades, if you are successful through this you get your personal statement looked at, if you don;t get through this it is immediate rejection. Then good personal statements get places and then from the places left (if there is any) scottish students get priority then the north and eventually the south get last choice. To get a place in English Lit you basically needed all A* and A's at GCSE and all A's in all A levels.

To be fair, I had a very similar experience with an admissions lady. Was still deciding between Religious studies/history at the time. When I asked about the entry requirements for history, she effectively told me I didn't stand much chance and that I'd be better off applying for joint honours.
She said that all the successful applicants for history the previous year had 9A*+ at GCSE. (or presumably, the equvilant). I had six, and five A's.

Hmmmm.
I got ABBBB for my Highers, I havent ever taken a language and I got an Unconditional (for International Relations). On their website they mention the importance attributed to personal statements so I think that was the problem you had.

Latest

Trending

Trending