The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Prokaryotic_crap
once i had my knuckles on my right hand burnt by my mother back when i was in Yemen for stealing (cant remember what)

Your parents really do seem quite barbaric and uncivilised.
Paxdax

nah lol, but seriously, that though me, i never stole ever again
Reply 62
Prokaryotic_crap
i've never heard of white parents hitting their kids. other ethnicities such as blacks, asians - the parents kick the crap out of their kids if they wanted to. black comics such as David Chappelle, Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy have mentioned this in their routine. Why is this though? For example, if a child wanted to change religion, which is a big matter, white parents might not agree but at the end say "well, if it makes you happy", while other parents such as blacks, the child has to put up a pretty big fight. if white parents wanna hit their child, the child says something like "im gonna call the social sevices" or "im gonna run away", so the parents get scared and stop, while if the child says that to black or other ethnic parents, they reply "call them!" or "theres the door, gtfo!".

edit: when i was little, my mother used to hit me with the a big wooden spoon and also hangers, while my dad used the belt. however, when i said this to my white friend, he was like "WHAT! OMFG my parents wont dare to lay a finger on me".

This satisfies my curiosity. Thank you.

(My father used to hit me with hangars; chalk it down to a military upbringing.)
Reply 63
Paxdax

I wonder if he'll do the same to his kids.
Haha, my mum's white and my dad's mixed race and I had the crap beaten out of me as a kid. I went to school with a hand-shaped bruise on my thigh once. My mum has a rare form of encephalitis for which she takes prednisolone - her temper is quite spectacular, I believe it's referred to as 'roid rage :biggrin:
Reply 65
booraad

I bet you 100 pounds he will. Poor them.
booraad

no, i will discipline them, but i wont take it over the top like my parents did, InshaAllah
Jennybean
Haha, my mum's white and my dad's mixed race and I had the crap beaten out of me as a kid. I went to school with a hand-shaped bruise on my thigh once. My mum has a rare form of encephalitis for which she takes prednisolone - her temper is quite spectacular, I believe it's referred to as 'roid rage :biggrin:

i can relate lol
Reply 68
Prokaryotic_crap
nah lol, but seriously, that though me, i never stole ever again

What your parents do to you (judging from what you've written) is nothing but simple barbary and completely uncivilised. If it had been anyone else on the receiving end but you and your sister, it'd have been called torture and/or grave assault.
Reply 69
they dont hit their kids... cuz it's illegal in britain.
Reply 70
I'm white.

I had a naughty stair - my parents never hit me. It seemed to have done the trick.
Reply 71
DancinBallerina
Tbh - it just various from parents to parents . . .but the majority of Caucasian children are not disciplined enough IMO. Im not suggesting that parents should start whipping their children and etc, but when a child does wrong or behaves wrong and the parent(s) know this, they should discipline.

Another good example of this is swearing at parents - you think I could tell my mum and dad **** off and get away with it? . . .NOWAY! that is just soooo rude, but I have heard my Caucasian friends say it and their parents do bugger all! :s-smilie:

The ex head of the Met even picked up on the amount of AfroCarribeans involved in, say, muggings (80%), so either afroCaribbean parents don't discipline their children enough, or they do and it's not working.
Sad, but when i was in college, me and my african friend used to spend hours in the common room giggling about stories of our parents hitting us.
Reply 73
yeah my mom hit me once and i flew up the stairs lol
Reply 74
I wouldnt say that it is a cultural thing, I would say it is more having love for your child!!! Hmm, you love your child very much but you beat it when it has done wrong???

You wouldnt even do that to a dog, never mind a human being.
I'm white and my mum would have laughed if I threatened her with Social services. In fact, she'd have called them for me...
She slapped me/slaps me all the time.
"DON'T BE RUDE TO ME" *Slap*

"DON'T ANSWER BACK" *Slap*

"DID YOU BREAK THIS?" *Slap*

I grew up just fine, and I'll probs raise my kids the same way...
Reply 76
My mum hit me when I was little because I threw a toy digger at her. It wasn't a proper 'hit' more a bit of a slap. I've never been hit by my parents but I wouldn't **** with either of them, mainly out of love and respect, not fear.
greeny632
I wouldnt say that it is a cultural thing, I would say it is more having love for your child!!! Hmm, you love your child very much but you beat it when it has done wrong???

You wouldnt even do that to a dog, never mind a human being.

It's discipline though.
Reply 78
Oladz
Very true, i know someone who this has happened to. Ethnic parents also threaten to have their kids sent back to their native country - and i actually know someone who this happened to :biggrin:

Looooooooooooool, OMG I know people that's happened to..

OP, you are right...when I was younger(and some times even now:frown: ), I used to get hit with all sorts ...

Somebody gonna get hurt reaaaaal bad ...:biggrin:
I got a good slippering when I was a nipper.

Not all white parents are the same, just as not all middle class parents are the same and not all asian parents are the same.

It all depends on culture, class, personality, and the way these things react and change one's values.

Latest

Trending

Trending