The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I got a rejection from Bristol.

And it's CLASSICS.
It's not the highest applicant:tongue:lace ratio around really!

Was a bit weirded about getting in everywhere else and not Bristol, especially since it's a relatively notverygood university compared to some of my others.
Was it your first choice? Bristol doesn't like being put second to Oxbridge and other "elite" unis.
Reply 22
Some courses at some Universities defy belief- at my uni we go from about 3.6 to 24 applications per place, depending on the course, and an overall average of around 8. I worked a bit at clearing, and found if the admissions officer liked you, you were in with BBB at A-Level, despite this, I wasn't allowed to admit an ABB student who missed the AAB offer for a course (and similar with Scottish Grades). If you just get unlucky then there aint much explanation for it, if the admissions folk are dealing with 2000 people for 75 places, then some very strong candidates will get knocked back. Similarly, get a course which isn't all that fashionable right now (Computer Science doesn't seem to be) and much lower grades will get you an offer of some sort.
i really dont think going to a private or state school matters with bristol, or any university...
You're being a bit cocky if you don't mind me saying.
Fran Katzenjammer
You're being a bit cocky if you don't mind me saying.

Erm... in what way? :confused: I just can't see that.
your personal statement may have made you sound pretentious which seems to happen not unfrequently.

or as mentioned you may just not have been as good as other people.
Reply 27
Maybe they were looking for a bit of personality. When I applied 2 years ago I got 5 offers with relatively bad grades (A*A*AABBDDE at GCSE and AAB predicted at A-Level) but a very quirky PS.

Admissions tutors like something a bit different.
regarding the [private school/comprehensive school debate, I'll say only this:

percentage of students privately educated: 7
percentage of privately-educated students at bristol: 54

that's higher than oxford
they're obviously not biased against private schools
Uh, they have like 7.5 apps for a place for Physics (I think :/)
Maybe it was sheer bad luck. Chin up, you got other offers!
Some of us are still waiting on Durham *grumble grumble*
Green Clover
Erm... in what way? :confused: I just can't see that.

The whole "how dare they reject me when I am clearly awesome" attitude.

So he's predicted AAA -- so what? Loads of applicants will be predicted AAA. Lots of applicants will have good PSes and be applying early. They can't give everyone offers.
Reply 31
inksplodge
Ask for feedback. You sound shocked you've been rejected...? Maybe they just didn't like you.

That would be my guess. You can't win them all and every university is looking for a certain kind of applicant that will compliment their institute in the way they want. You probably just didn't push their buttons :s-smilie:.
Reply 32
joelio36
I just received a rejection from Bristol for Maths and Physics, I'm quite annoyed as I beleive I should of been offered a place!

===Good Parts of my application===
*Predicted AAAa (Maths, Physics, Computing, F Maths AS Level) with F Maths self study, shows initiaive and interest
*C at AS economics
*Head of sixth form said mine was the best Personal Statement he had ever seen (considering people from my school get into oxbridge sometimes.)
*Early Applicant

===Bad Parts of my application===
*My PS had everything on it, except no mention of further reading outside the subject which is 'kind of' important'
*Fairly 'bad' (in comparison to other applicants) GSCE results 4A*,2A,4B

But with all things considered I still think I shouldve been offered a place?

Can anyone think of other reasons I was rejected?

There could be loads and loads of reasons:
- C in AS econ (why is this listed as a 'good point')
- Only 3 A-levels
- Only f.maths to AS
- Personal statement v.subjective
- Below par gcses

Ask them for feedback, but bear in mind it's not unjustifable on their part.
There were better candidates to choose from.

Pretty simple really.
Deutsch_Beth
Was it your first choice? Bristol doesn't like being put second to Oxbridge and other "elite" unis.

This is nonsense. The universities you apply to have no idea of what your preferences are. They don't get to find out who you have applied to until after you have accepted your offers, which is too late for it to make a difference to influence their decisions.
Reply 35
J234
There could be loads and loads of reasons:
- C in AS physics (why is this listed as a 'good point')
- Only 3 A-levels
- Only f.maths to AS
- Personal statement v.subjective
- Below par gcses

Ask them for feedback, but bear in mind it's not unjustifable on their part.

It says C in AS Economics
There's is no point asking for peoples speculation on here when you can easily ask them for feedback and get an exact reason?
Reply 37
Student#1
It says C in AS Economics

I meant that :tongue:
Reply 38
I was rejected by Warwick and accepted by LSE... I still don't know why I was rejected from Warwick... but do not care really... but I have asked for feedback :P
joelio36
===Good Parts of my application===
*Predicted AAAa (Maths, Physics, Computing, F Maths AS Level) with F Maths self study, shows initiaive and interest

a) What did you get at AS-Level?
b) Why didn't you do A2 further maths in school? Did you turn down the chance to do that in Yr12 and choose to pick up F Maths yourself in Yr13?
c) Did your personal statement mention module marks from last year? Since I assume all you had when you were applying were C1,C2 and some applied module, they didn't exactly have very much to judge your mathematical ability from.

Latest

Trending

Trending