The Student Room Group

How many sick days are part timers entitled to?

I work 14 hours a week in the hell hole known as Morrisons.

I keep getting warnings for my absence rate, in November it was 9.25% then I had no time off whatsoever for roughly 17 weeks, then a few saturdays ago I really wasn't well so called in sick, the next week I got another written warning and my absence rate hadn't changed.

Now if I was a full time employee, I would have an absence rate of virtually nothing, so I was wandering if part time employess are legally entitled to any amount of time off, now I never get paid for my sick days so I assume we are not entitled to that, but surely there has to be some sort of protection for part timers?

I also called in sick yesterday because I had a 24 hour sickness bug, a storming headache and couldnt stop vomiting throughout the day, but I was working friday so I think my manager will assume I am bulls**ting or just had a hangover and probably just sack me, so I am very annoyed!

Can anyone provide me with any info?
Reply 1
Calculate what you believe to be your actual absence rate, and send it along with a letter of complaint to your manager, cc'ing it to the area manager.

How much do you earn a week? (as you have to work £79.00 a week before deductions before you qualify for Statutory Sick Pay) .

Check out the DWP website for all the legal ins and outs...
Reply 2
Well that isnt the issue really (absence rate thing)

i was just wandering what I am legally entitled to in terms of time off for sickness.
Reply 3
if i recall it was something like 5 days a year when i had a part time job. it was worked out on "days worked per week" in the place i was. those who worked 1 day a week were entitled to less than those working 2,3,4 days etc.

i assume working 14hrs is over 2 or 3 days, so you might be entitled to about 4 or 5 days.
Reply 4
i used to work 12 hours a week at sainsburys and got sick pay. they were ***** though and once youd have anymore than 3 times off sick in a whole year they gave you a warning. ridiculous. they also counted the 3 as periods, not as days so if you had say a week of sick, then a few months later 3 weeks off sick, then a week later one day off, that would be counted the same as 3 days off separately in a year. they are morons.

i was sick 5 days in a whole year, all separately so i got a warning. i was like sorry people do get ill or colds you know!
Reply 5
Hmph. Sounds like me, albeit in regard to school attendance.

Indeed, such policies may seem unethical, but be under no illusions: they can afford to - and will - replace you with someone more ostensibly conscientious; notwithstanding that, given a nominal quotient of complete slackers liable to predominate such occupations, it isn't difficult to sympathise with the position of one's employer.
Reply 6
worried_mess
Well that isnt the issue really (absence rate thing)

i was just wandering what I am legally entitled to in terms of time off for sickness.

i don't think there is an "entitlement" for sickness - it's not like paid leave.

if you have a doctor's certificate that shows you really were ill i imagine they will honour it, within reason. but if you're havign days off all the time it's not in their interest to keep you on as they will have to pay someone else to cover you.

look at your contract, that should include this anyway.
Reply 7
1. Check your contract. Big employers often try to exploit young part-timers because they have little experience and are easily replaceably. If your contract does (and it ought to) state what you're allowed, see if you are taking more than your allowance as you did sign it in agreement. If you have stuck to the terms then talk to them, show them your copy of the contract and put your argument in writing.

2. If your contract has no mention of sick leave then go and ask your supervisors. Be calm and polite but assertive as well. Tell them that you would like them to tell you what the company position is on sick leave and that you would like it in writing.

3. And as Fluffy said, if they're still being awkward, write to your area manager. This is an impartial person and will give the company line.

Latest

Trending

Trending