The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh yeah I agree - it's not for everyone!...and I wouldn't have been able to afford Camp America without working full time for nearly a year really!

If I had had the money to start off with, travelling would of been great for a year BUT then I wouldn't have been thinking that how much time I had spent stacking shelves in a supermarket to get the amazing experience that I got. I worked damn hard to get as much money as I could to allow me to go to America, gaining memories that will last my lifetime....and that gives me enjoyment :smile:
Though I have enough money now to go on a gap year project (over £2,000 now) I just couldn't sped it all on going abroad eve though I'd like nothing better. Living in London is gonna be hard even with the money I'll have saved...

Still I got a full-time job as a legal assistant and the experiece/connections i'm getting is pretty great, even if the pay is lousy (minimum wage.)
Reply 22
dobbs
There's always one isn't there :rolleyes:

Where do you work?

In my experience, which true is only specific to my personal experience, when you get a job in a gap year, it doesn't tend to be the best job in the world. And even if you "enjoy" a job, it usually doesn't come anywhere near to the kind of enjoyment you get from doing a "Gap Year" kind of thing - being paid less for doing something like teaching kids or providing healthcare in a developing country gives you a massive amount of enjoyment. I was paid very poor wages for doing Camp America but I've never felt better about doing ANYTHING else!!

Again....it's not the same for everyone....I tend to believe the saying "It's not what you know, it's who you know" - if I knew the right people then I could've had an amazing job during my Gap Year. Unfortunately, I know no-one! lol :frown:

i'm with Sooz here - i've got a year in industry job too. i'm working in a lab and doign the same job as some graduates, so it's not just photocopying by any means. i've met some great people, gained really good experience, and had money to travel a bit as well (been to venice and dublin and going inter railing in the summer)

i don't think you can say it's not as enjoyable as going away because it's completely different, which means they'er both great in their own ways :smile:

Latest