How much do you like GCSE Science?

Love it!30%
Like it13%
It's OK28%
Don't like it7%
Hate it!22%
Total votes: 46
Hi Folks,
This is a question for everyone in Years 10 and 11. I would love to know your experience of science at GCSE. Specifically, what do you like/dislike about your course? All input is greatly welcome and appreciated! :yep:
Many thanks!
Vixen

Scroll to see replies

I don't particularly like my course - but I love science (well, Biology and Chemistry) in general. I find that it's very restricting, and that you don't really get to understand why a process happens, you're just told that it does, and that's that. I really hope A Level will be better in that respect!
It's alright.
Reply 3
Biology = Quite boring and repetitive but thats mainly due to the teacher who is a joke.

Physics = Very interesting, good teacher and interesting topics such as Space and Mechanics.

Chemistry = Again interesting, great teacher always up for some crack and the stuff is quite good!

Doing Physics and Chemistry for A Level.
<3 biology!
I don't particularly like my course - but I love science (well, Biology and Chemistry) in general. I find that it's very restricting, and that you don't really get to understand why a process happens, you're just told that it does, and that's that. I really hope A Level will be better in that respect!

I couldn't agree more. OI understand and do well in the sciences but the course really annoys me. Luckily I have amazing teachers who make the lessons as good as possible, but we never have time to ask as many questions as we'd like to :frown:
The best subjects ever (in terms of interesting"ness")
The fact that you can simply gloss over a textbook and get an A* is just bliss
Reply 6
<3 biology!

This.

And I do like Chem and Bio, it's just Physics that makes me :yawn:
Reply 7
i do seperate sciences at GCSE
Biology=dont actually like the subject much but got good grades and fab teacher
Physics= Same as bio only with awful teacher
CHemistry: actualy am intreted but get worst grade ut of three (though still a B) and got ok teacher
Reply 8
I've finished now (three A*s); I was the first year to do the new AQA course. I didn't like it. In all three subjects, but especially physics, it didn't feel enough like science. Yes, make subjects relevant, but don't take out all the value. In the official textbook there was actually an activity consisting of writing a poem, or a letter to your MP. Call me old-fashioned, but that's not science!

Everything was wildly politicised, at the expense of rigour and knowledge. Sure, be aware of the debate around renewable energy, but if you're studying a science the focus should be on the theories and facts, not on the opinions.

In addition, there were issues with the way exams tended to be marked - far too many questions had many possible answers, only one of which was rewarded by the mark scheme.

Does that help?
Reply 9
Science is SO much better at A-level than at GCSE.. Just hoping it's even better at uni. :love:
I hated GCSE Science; it was a total waste of ******* time. Spoon-fed, unthinking, unengaging, bureaucratically-administered, dumbed-down tripe.
Reply 11
<3 biology!

This.

And I really don't like the 'How science works' stuff. We learn less about the actual scientific stuff and more about how it's applied.

Still, I love Chem and Biology...hate physics :yucky:
Reply 12
mfc20
Biology = Quite boring and repetitive but thats mainly due to the teacher who is a joke.

Physics = Very interesting, good teacher and interesting topics such as Space and Mechanics.

Chemistry = Again interesting, great teacher always up for some crack and the stuff is quite good!

Doing Physics and Chemistry for A Level.

:ditto:
I hated it when i did it, all we did was copy from the textbook onto paper, or tipped salt into water and waited for the water to evaporate. Was only any good when people set things on fire on purpose to break the boredom
Reply 14
An unengaging rushed syllabus is what I am currently doing due to my schools great decision to gloss over all three sciences rather than focus on just one or two.

Overall I really enjoy chemistry and find it interesting despite the monotony of book work and lack of anything engaging, didn't enjoy biology and was nonplussed with physics
Reply 15
I absolutely adore Chemistry and Biology but Physics gets a bit tedious.
Reply 16
too easy i want a challenge the multiple choice is just like what was that meant to me think about? But my teachers are completely rubbish neither of them have done physics beyond GCSE and i fell like i know more than them :P
Reply 17
Punch
:ditto:

Good to know :wink:
Reply 18
Draconis
Science is SO much better at A-level than at GCSE.. Just hoping it's even better at uni. :love:

Good insight! In what ways is it better at A Level because im doing Physics and Chemistry next year and are looking forward to them!?
Reply 19
^ Yes, I'd like to know to!

Latest