The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Post a Question about RHUL and We will answer...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
lol no. 2 is a good question...

ive got a fat 32 inch flat screen and a ps3 that i wanna bring lol...

mgiht even consider bringing the wii :P
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Q: If we watch television programmes on our laptops the do we need a TV license?
Reply 82
LJBzzz
its right at the opposite end of the campus...

I think its about £150

I had a look around it during the visit day and it has most of the equipment that you would expect a gym to have.

Thanks! I'm only there for one term on exchange so I might have a think about it.
siddy_1990
Hey, I've got a couple of questions...any answers will be appreciated. :smile:

1. I've applied for Economics (BSc) and been offered a place with the condition to get ABB. I was wondering if they would accept AAC or ABC?

2. This might sound stupid but I was wondering if there was enough space in the "Butler, Tuke and Williamson" halls to fit a 26" Flat screen? and a PS3 :p:

3. Do they organise coaches into Central London for club student nights often?...or at all?

i will first quickly answer the question of tv lisence. if watching tv on a laptop, if it is live, you need a lisence. however if it is portable you dont- ie if the laptop is running off battery and using a portable arial. i would advise not gettin a lisence and unplugging the tv equipment from your laptop when you go out. oh and dont let the tv people in anyway.

to the other questions-
1) if you dont make the grades they can technically not let you in, they will only do this if the course is very full. AAC does not fullfil the ABB condition, but RHUL are very good and will often let you in if they can. basically depends how well everyone else does.

2) you cant attach things to walls, but could sit it on your desk if you wanted, there are photos of the rooms on accomidation threads. defo room for a ps3

3) a society called NADS (nightlife and drinking scoiety) sometimes run coaches to various places, usually depends if they feel there is a need for a trip. there isno regular transport back from london- either get a train at 5am ish or pay for a taxi!
Reply 84
AusFran
Thanks! I'm only there for one term on exchange so I might have a think about it.

well im sure they will do you an offer for a term :smile:
If you're bringing something expensive like a wii or huge tv or whatever, get insured. In halls it's relatively cheap with endsleigh and it's so worth it, when your mates come back from the union and decide ps2 is an awesome idea and things get smashed, trust me you'll appreciate it :tongue:

As for tv licenses, like jennyng2000 said, just don't let anyone into your room or flat. They aren't allowed to forcibly check your room, and security won't let people into your room without letting you know.
Thecowswantitback
Hi, erm I've applied to do History at Holloway and the entry grades are AAB, but I really don't think I'm gonna get that cos I missed out on a load of school through being ill and I was wondering if Holloway ever make exceptions if people fall just short of their conditional grades?
If not I can't go to Uni which would be beyond awful..!

Will all depend on numbers and how many meet their conditional offer. Best thing to do is wait until results day and if you do miss the AAB, ring RHUL straight away.
Reply 87
jennyng2000
i will first quickly answer the question of tv lisence. if watching tv on a laptop, if it is live, you need a lisence. however if it is portable you dont- ie if the laptop is running off battery and using a portable arial. i would advise not gettin a lisence and unplugging the tv equipment from your laptop when you go out. oh and dont let the tv people in anyway.

to the other questions-
1) if you dont make the grades they can technically not let you in, they will only do this if the course is very full. AAC does not fullfil the ABB condition, but RHUL are very good and will often let you in if they can. basically depends how well everyone else does.

2) you cant attach things to walls, but could sit it on your desk if you wanted, there are photos of the rooms on accomidation threads. defo room for a ps3

3) a society called NADS (nightlife and drinking scoiety) sometimes run coaches to various places, usually depends if they feel there is a need for a trip. there isno regular transport back from london- either get a train at 5am ish or pay for a taxi!

Thanks. That was very useful :smile: I think I'll match my offer now anyway. Think I did really well in my last 3 exams...hoping for AAB now! lol. How things can change suddenly lol.

Anywhooo...thanks once again. I look forward to RHUL :woo:
Reply 88
Does anyone know if Vegemite is sold in most supermarkets or should I bring some with me? lol Oh and what about Milo? Thanks!
AusFran
Does anyone know if Vegemite is sold in most supermarkets or should I bring some with me? lol Oh and what about Milo? Thanks!

I swear you can get Vegemite in the big supermarkets (just searched Sainsburys' website - big supermarket chain) and they sell it and there's one in Staines, or just get food delivered so yes to that one.

I've seen Milo around definitely too somewhere.

The Brits will get you on Marmite don't worry - the UK version of vegemite :biggrin:
Reply 90
apotoftea
I swear you can get Vegemite in the big supermarkets (just searched Sainsburys' website - big supermarket chain) and they sell it and there's one in Staines, or just get food delivered so yes to that one.

I've seen Milo around definitely too somewhere.

The Brits will get you on Marmite don't worry - the UK version of vegemite :biggrin:

Oh awesome, thanks so much! Does Marmite taste like Promite? I've tried that and didn't like it. Vegemite is the best!:smile:
AusFran
Oh awesome, thanks so much! Does Marmite taste like Promite? I've tried that and didn't like it. Vegemite is the best!:smile:

Have no idea what promite is unfortunately :frown: Marmite is awesome :biggrin:
Reply 92
apotoftea
Have no idea what promite is unfortunately :frown: Marmite is awesome :biggrin:

Oh ok, oh well. I'm sure I'll give Marmite a go, but I doubt I'll ever turn my back on my Vegemite lol:smile:
Ok so i have a question that hopefully someone can help me with :smile:

I've just taken my AS exams and I'm now looking for Uni's to apply to in September. I'm really interested in Media Arts at Royal Holloway. However i was wondering what Royal Holloway are like with offers, because sadly i lost a family member before i started my AS exams so i was put into special consideration by my exam board. However i did loose my motivation to revise or care about the exams. So based on how my exams went i don't think my grades will be spectacular!

So I'm a bit worried that i won't get an offer from Royal Holloway because my AS marks might be low :frown:

Should i be worrying? :/
Reply 94
your AS marks are not an issue, as long as you are predicted higher grades. They will also take your situation into account.
LJBzzz
your AS marks are not an issue, as long as you are predicted higher grades. They will also take your situation into account.

Right ok.

Reply 96
last year I got ABC, after getting a U in my final economics module. That is what they predicted me, but then i spoke to my teacher and he said the result was an anomoly, and so predicted me an A.

I got an offer from RHUL for ABB, and i should get that. Alot of my friends have been predicted high, and not made the grades. If you are going to ask for your predicted grades to be raised, make sure they are realistic, and you will gain from it :smile:

If not you will end up dissapointed though!!!
Reply 97
Hey, quick question again.

When should I expect the accomodation offers to be made? I applied right on the first day and I'm still waiting for contracts. Any idea when they are usually offered? has anybody already got any?

(Thanks in advance for any replies on this).
siddy_1990
Hey, quick question again.

When should I expect the accomodation offers to be made? I applied right on the first day and I'm still waiting for contracts. Any idea when they are usually offered? has anybody already got any?

(Thanks in advance for any replies on this).

It usually takes a few weeks after the deadline so just be patient - you'll get an email when they've made you an official offer. Unfortunately applying on the first day doesn't mean you'll get your first choice and depending on what the status of your offer is, you may not be on the top of the list.
Reply 99
This is propably answered elsewhere, but I need to relieve some anxiety. I am about to accept my unconditional offer from RHUL for history this sept. How ****** am I regarding accomodation, with the deadline being more than two weeks ago?

Do I stand a chance since I'm coming from overseas? I worry, 'cause I have this nagging feeling the commute from Denmark's going to be a bitch.
Any help or reassurance would be appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending