The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably depends on how good you SAT's are
Reply 2
have you tried looking at their websites for online prospectus' or ordering a prospectus.
The grades you need also vary depending what course you are applying for. :smile:
Reply 3
xxkaylsxx
have you tried looking at their websites for online prospectus' or ordering a prospectus.
The grades you need also vary depending what course you are applying for. :smile:

yeah i have but it doesnt speciffically state the grades you need just says A level and i want to do law.
Reply 4
studyboy1992
UCLA

Pepperdine

USC

thanks for answering guys all are located in California, Los Angles, USA

UCLA is the most competitive out of those three. Not a proper elite university by the way. You don't need anything besides

-Either American citizenship or very very rich parents
-A bunch of acceptable/good GCSEs
-Some A-levels, I guess CCB would be OK.
-Good SAT I and good SAT IIs (******* easy) if they ask you for them.
-They like you to be top of your class and they look at the reputation of your school (nonsense really, A-levels are the same for everyone)
-LOADS of extracurricular activities.
-Excellent references (this is a must)
-A more than average personal statement or personal essay or whatever they call it in America these days.
Reply 5
TeDaX
UCLA is the most competitive out of those three. Not a proper elite university by the way. You don't need anything besides

-Either American citizenship or very very rich parents
-A bunch of acceptable/good GCSEs
-Some A-levels, I guess CCB would be OK.
-Good SAT I and good SAT IIs (******* easy) if they ask you for them.
-They like you to be top of your class and they look at the reputation of your school (nonsense really, A-levels are the same for everyone)
-LOADS of extracurricular activities.
-Excellent references (this is a must)
-A more than average personal statement or personal essay or whatever they call it in America these days.

My GCSE's where A,A,B,B,C,C,C,C,
and a level predicted grades are A,A,C,C

is that ok
are you sure it CCB? that sounds a bit low for law?
I thought law was only a postgraduate course in the US? Or am I thinking of something else? :P
Reply 7
inksplodge
I thought law was only a postgraduate course in the US? Or am I thinking of something else? :P

Are you sure i thought you could do it undergrauduate as well?
to get into what?????? never heard of them
Reply 9
inksplodge

Nope, you're right.

OP, do your research! Some universities in the US have started to do undergraduate law but not the ones you mention.
Reply 10
studyboy1992
Are you sure i thought you could do it undergrauduate as well?

In the US, undergraduate degrees aren't like in the UK. You don't apply for a specific subject, instead you pursue a liberal arts programme, taking a wide spread of courses and you state a major later on. You'll have to fulfil lots of requirements to pass (maths, languages, sciences etc) as well as the credits needed to fulfil the major and possibly minor of your choice.

Law is a postgraduate course in the USA.
Reply 11
*River
In the US, undergraduate degrees aren't like in the UK. You don't apply for a specific subject, instead you pursue a liberal arts programme, taking a wide spread of courses and you state a major later on. You'll have to fulfil lots of requirements to pass (maths, languages, sciences etc) as well as the credits needed to fulfil the major and possibly minor of your choice.

Law is a postgraduate course in the USA.

oh ok but what kind of a level grades would i need to get into UCLA? all it says on the website is A levels with superior grades?
Reply 12
studyboy1992
oh ok but what kind of a level grades would i need to get into UCLA? all it says on the website is A levels with superior grades?

I'd imagine As to be honest, but you need to email to ask.

Are you aware of the huge costs of studying in the USA?
Reply 13
*River
I'd imagine As to be honest, but you need to email to ask.

Are you aware of the huge costs of studying in the USA?

Yes, i know they are over 20,000 but im prepared to work and take loans for it and so summer jobs etec.
Reply 14
studyboy1992
Yes, i know they are over 20,000 but im prepared to work and take loans for it and so summer jobs etec.

You won't be eligible for any SLC support, and I can't imagine any British bank lending you loans that large when you can't offer anything to secure them against. You won't be eligible for US loans.
Reply 15
*River
You won't be eligible for any SLC support, and I can't imagine any British bank lending you loans that large when you can't offer anything to secure them against. You won't be eligible for US loans.

why i do have family over in america, and i have funds in the bank?
why wont i be eligible for SLC support?
Reply 16
studyboy1992

SLC only supports you for degrees in the UK.

I don't know what the situation is regarding having family in the states - I imagine if it helps at all they could counter-sign loans.
studyboy1992
My GCSE's where A,A,B,B,C,C,C,C,
and a level predicted grades are A,A,C,C

is that ok
are you sure it CCB? that sounds a bit low for law?

For those unis you don't need very much. Some unis don't even ask you for A-levels, and even if they ask for them they're supposed to give you what they call advanced standing.

Now again, make sure you're an American citizen, especially if you're gonna go for law (which is postgrad only btw). Otherwise you'll have huge problems with fees, visas and no one wants to hire a foreign lawyer.
studyboy1992

SLC is only for UK students. Obviously if you're gonna study in the US you're not eligible. Even if you make a bank believe you are going to pay up when you graduate, you'll find yourself with $200,000 or more worth of debt. And that's only the undergraduate course!

Never mind you have family over there, you must be an American citizen or a permanent resident to apply for financial aid in the US. The latter you might get it through family, but the process is a long one, apply now.
jumping on the bandwagon here, i have a mild interest in studying in the US/grenada for medicine, i cant make my mind up between bmbch or md :s-smilie:

i was looking at places like harvard med, john hopkins, yale.. that kinda jazz. Whats the lowdown on getting scholarships to places like this? :s-smilie:
(ofc im predicted 4A at AS, and got 11A* GCSE, doing some voluntary work in borneo this summer, plus others.)

Advice? please :s-smilie:

Worried and undecided...

Latest

Trending

Trending