The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hermy
THIS!!

My mom is a GP... this is what makes it so embarrassing. I shouldn't have such mental problems, it's quite ironic... :frown:

And No! I would NEVER speak to her about ANY of this. We are not very close at all.
Reply 21
I am called Andrew, and I have never encountered that type of problem in my 15 years as a child.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Reply 22
I don't think there's much we can do for you other than state the obvious...
Reply 23
Anonymous
My mom is a GP... this is what makes it so embarrassing. I shouldn't have such mental problems, it's quite ironic... :frown:

And No! I would NEVER speak to her about ANY of this. We are not very close at all.

Go and see someone else...you don't have to speak to your mum just because shes a doctor.
Apart from seeking help, could you try channeling your cravings for love into something else? Do you have hobbies and past-times to keep you active and distracted, or are you often alone and left contemplating over things? I think that making sure that your life is as fulfilling as possible will help you to keep your mind calm, but also make you feel like you are worth something in your own right, and not need to cling to others to validate yourself. Be aware that there are always other people, a vast, huge, ocean of people in the world, and that you can take your life as it comes without worrying about how long it will last.
Reply 25
hermy
Go and see someone else...you don't have to speak to your mum just because shes a doctor.

And what can they do for me? Other than slap a label on me for the rest of my life that will ruin my employment chances.

These obsessive episodes don't happen all the time; maybe a few times a year, and the really serious ones maybe once every two years or so. But when they do occur, they are severe and extremely painful. And now I am experiencing a new kind of episode - a romantic obsessive phase where I it is actually a romantic obsession...

I have recently scared my friend because my friend told me they saw the person I am seeing on the high street, and I instantly asked loads of questions like ''with who?'' ''what time'' and then I returned to my room and I felt anger burning up inside me, boiling beneath me. I felt like crying, but couldn't bring myself to, I just desperately want to know everything they are doing, what they are wearing, what they look like - I just want to be there every moment of their life so I know what they are doing. :frown:
Reply 26
Anonymous
And what can they do for me? Other than slap a label on me for the rest of my life that will ruin my employment chances.

No, they're there to help you. Even if it takes you a while to find the right doctor for you you'll find one and they'll help you work through your problem.

It shouldn't have an effect on your employment, doctors are bound by patient confidentiality, they can't share what you tell them with anyone. Theres more to you than this, your illness doesn't define you so theres no need for it to affect your employment prospects.
Reply 27
I should also add - the thought of the person I am seeing ever being with anyone else, ever having a happy life with somebody else is too hard for me to comprehend. It's upsetting and heartbreaking. Whilst I know my time with this person HAS to end soon, as I said I am leaving the country for a year and this person will not wait around for me, I can't get over knowing they will go on and find someone else.

I think the saddest thing I fear is that they will find somebody else and forget all about me after a while. I will never forget this person, my first romantic interest that was reciprocal, but I know this person probably sees me as just another person in his life they have had. I am going to be forgotten, this is going to end, and I find that so heartbreaking and overwhelming to take in.
Reply 28
DisgruntledMoth
Apart from seeking help, could you try channeling your cravings for love into something else? Do you have hobbies and past-times to keep you active and distracted, or are you often alone and left contemplating over things? I think that making sure that your life is as fulfilling as possible will help you to keep your mind calm, but also make you feel like you are worth something in your own right, and not need to cling to others to validate yourself. Be aware that there are always other people, a vast, huge, ocean of people in the world, and that you can take your life as it comes without worrying about how long it will last.

Well at the moment, I'm generally a bit bored in life. It's not like at school, where I was always the A Grade student and focused on my work a lot.

I thought about trying to keep my mind more active by keeping up my reading and planning for the future. But I can't think of a future without this person.
Anonymous
Well at the moment, I'm generally a bit bored in life. It's not like at school, where I was always the A Grade student and focused on my work a lot.

I thought about trying to keep my mind more active by keeping up my reading and planning for the future. But I can't think of a future without this person.

Well, mainly, try to conciously calm down. What you're feeling is only an exaggerrated version of the normal emotions people in relationships go through, and I would imagine that this is caused by higher levels of the chemicals in your body and brain which make you experience these emotions.

Love is only a biochemical reaction, and the way you feel (the strong urge to pair for what you see as life) includes this. If you're aware of that, it should be easier to control.
Reply 30
DisgruntledMoth
Well, mainly, try to conciously calm down. What you're feeling is only an exaggerrated version of the normal emotions people in relationships go through, and I would imagine that this is caused by higher levels of the chemicals in your body and brain which make you experience these emotions.

Love is only a biochemical reaction, and the way you feel (the strong urge to pair for what you see as life) includes this. If you're aware of that, it should be easier to control.

That sound about right. I just don't know what has caused this. Everything about my feelings has been over the top.

From the moment we met, I instantly felt an attraction and urge to be with this person. I also, even after our first ever date, started to think about unreasonable and unrealistic things e.g. settling down with this person forever and loving this person forever. This is not a normal way to think and act after first meeting someone...
Reply 31
Anonymous
How can you empathise with me?

I feel similarly (at least to the sentiments expressed in the first post, however I don't wish to have someone forever; these sort of obsessive thoughts merely consume my present, and it's not so much desiring an emotional bond as wishing to understand another person in a complete and intimate way.) Just saying that getting obsessed with people isn't that rare. Plenty of my friends do it. And although it's depressing and consuming and tears at you, it doesn't make you a freak.
Reply 32
I dunno how old this post is but it's sounds like Borderline Personality Disorder. You should see a doctor about it, because it's a terrible thing to suffer so much pain. Goodluck :smile:
Reply 33
I'm sorry to drag up such an old thread but I think I'm going through something similar to you. I've been obsessed with people on/off since I was a child (mainly famous people) and I feel exactly the same way as the OP, I'm really scared there's something wrong with me. I don't stalk or anything but my every waking thought is consumed by the person I'm obsessed with and it's maddening. I'm too embarassed to tell anyone about it, not even a health professional but I'm finding it harder to keep inside. OP if you happen to read this can you please PM me?
I don't have OCD, and I'm really hoping I don't have a personality disorder. On the outside I'm completely normal.
I too am in this club. I have control over it though, i.e I really really want to find out more about some people through stalking but I never go through with it. Doesn't stop me obsessing over it and I too get the same thing where I don't focus on studying because I can't stop thinking about the person.
Reply 35
Anonymous
I too am in this club. I have control over it though, i.e I really really want to find out more about some people through stalking but I never go through with it. Doesn't stop me obsessing over it and I too get the same thing where I don't focus on studying because I can't stop thinking about the person.

Please PM me in confidence. It would really help me to have someone to talk to about this.
A poster on here spoke about losing a parent and obsessiveness...what's the link? i don't get it?

I used to be crazily obsessive over guys i liked...sometimes i thought it was love..i'd daydream about what we'd be like as a couple...or imagine that the guy actually likes me too. (luckily facebook wasn't around back then...that wouldn't have helped lol)

this phase stopped completely when i was 17/18, when i had absolutely no time for boys whatsoever and i didn't 'like' any guy fo years...i thought they were a pain...but then recently i think i actually like this guyat uni...it takes up my brain time..which is annoying when i'm trying to study, & i'm starting to feel slightly stalkerish what with facebook and the fact that we go to the same uni..arrrgghh i don't like wasting my time daydreaming about crazy things like i used to but it seems to be coming back. It's hard to snap out of too & i'm in my 20s so it feels quite childish :\.

Hmm...i agree with that other person who said find a hobby, restrict yourself from thinking about the person..everytime you do force yourself to think of something else...(although not sure if that will actually get the people out of your mind..cos it's hard to snap out of..i know!!)
ive had that with this person for nearly 4 years now, no where near as badly as it used to be like 2 years ago where i swear i almost fainted when this person sat on a computer next to me(i had to leave immediately), i thihnk its more common than we think, but you got it really bad, get proffessional help i doubt anyone on this forum could help
Anonymous
A poster on here spoke about losing a parent and obsessiveness...what's the link? i don't get it?

I used to be crazily obsessive over guys i liked...sometimes i thought it was love..i'd daydream about what we'd be like as a couple...or imagine that the guy actually likes me too. (luckily facebook wasn't around back then...that wouldn't have helped lol)

this phase stopped completely when i was 17/18, when i had absolutely no time for boys whatsoever and i didn't 'like' any guy fo years...i thought they were a pain...but then recently i think i actually like this guyat uni...it takes up my brain time..which is annoying when i'm trying to study, & i'm starting to feel slightly stalkerish what with facebook and the fact that we go to the same uni..arrrgghh i don't like wasting my time daydreaming about crazy things like i used to but it seems to be coming back. It's hard to snap out of too & i'm in my 20s so it feels quite childish :\.

Hmm...i agree with that other person who said find a hobby, restrict yourself from thinking about the person..everytime you do force yourself to think of something else...(although not sure if that will actually get the people out of your mind..cos it's hard to snap out of..i know!!)

hmmm...that's interesting. I wouldn't have linked them either but like I said earlier I get obsessive over people, my dad died when I was 10. Maybe a link?
These "obsessions" - Are they just romantic crushes or more than that, e.g. a wish to live vicariously through other people? Could it be brought on by feelings of personal inadequacy such as not being content with the person you are and wishing to be more like that somebody else who represents "better things" - the happier person with loads of hobbies and interests that you wish you could be or the life/childhood you wish you could have had?

Latest

Trending

Trending