The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

BBC/BCC grade courses at University of Leeds?

I've got Geography BSc ABB down as my firm choice. I've booked my accomodation and absolutely love the university, I'm so set on going there, but I really don't think I'm gonna get the grades. I was wondering if, when I go through clearing, I could ring up the uni and see if they can get me on any courses? Problem is I haven't seen any courses with grade requirements around the BBC/BCC mark (apart from some languages). At the moment I don't really mind what I study, well I do(!), but I'm interested in really anything science-y, geographyish, environmentalish, etc, and have been looking into nursing and healthcare a bit.

Anyone know how flexible Leeds are with grades? Anyone know of any lower grade courses I might be able to apply for?
Reply 1
CheeseMonkey? This isn't the same CheeseMonkey as the one on the Leeds forums, is it?

My insurance is BBB, Linguistics and Phonetics. You need to seriously consider your decisions though, are you just wanting to find this out for the sake of "going to Leeds", rather than because you really love your subject and Leeds happens to be the uni for you? If you don't do well, perhaps a gap year where you resit some modules could be a better idea?

Also, just because you don't get the grades, doesn't mean that you won't get in. The popularity of the course could mean you may get in with lower grades. Plus I've known many people who have rang up the head of subject and asked (pleaded, probably!) to be let in, despite their grades, and have.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
TheCheeseMonkey
I've got Geography BSc ABB down as my firm choice. I've booked my accomodation and absolutely love the university, I'm so set on going there, but I really don't think I'm gonna get the grades. I was wondering if, when I go through clearing, I could ring up the uni and see if they can get me on any courses? Problem is I haven't seen any courses with grade requirements around the BBC/BCC mark (apart from some languages). At the moment I don't really mind what I study, well I do(!), but I'm interested in really anything science-y, geographyish, environmentalish, etc, and have been looking into nursing and healthcare a bit.

Anyone know how flexible Leeds are with grades? Anyone know of any lower grade courses I might be able to apply for?

They might let you onto the course with lower grades, but geography is a very popular course so there are no guarantees. Do you not have an insurance choice?

Dont just choose a course for the sake of going to Leeds, otherwise picking any subject will highly likely result in you dropping out or absoluting hating the 3 year course. First choose a course you want to do, then a university.

But some courses with lower offers you may find interesting:

BSc Earth Systems Science (BBB)
BA Environment and Business (BBB)
BA Environment and Transport Planning (BBB)
BSc Environmental Conservation (BBB)
BSc Enviornmental Geology (BBB)
BA Environmental Management (BBB)
BSc Environmental Science (BBB)
BA Environmental Sustainability (BBB)
BA Geography with Transport Planning (BBB)
BSc Geography/Geology (BBB)
This is what I like about Leeds. It has very reasonable entry grade requirements yet it's still a well-regarded / respectable university. No wonder it's so popular!!

Latest