The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

How Competitive is Erasmus/Similar Programmes?

Hi

Spending a year of my degree abroad is something I would really like to do. I don't speak any other language so it would need to be one of the English speaking options (although I'm very open to the idea of being taught in English whilst in a non-English-speaking country). Other than that I'm pretty much open to going anywhere - would love Canada/Hong Kong/Singapore, but I am told those are the expensive options!

How competitive are the programmes (for law, if that makes a difference)? Do you need to be one of the shining stars to have a snowball's hope of getting in, or do more average students have a chance? Are there less competitive/popular countries?

Thanks. :smile:
RockyRoad
How competitive are the programmes (for law, if that makes a difference)? Do you need to be one of the shining stars to have a snowball's hope of getting in, or do more average students have a chance? Are there less competitive/popular countries?

If you're looking to go somewhere that teaches in English on Erasmus you're limited to very few countries (pretty much just Scandinavia and the Netherlands). Here's where you can search for a list of every university that the Law department is partnered up with on the Erasmus scheme. (For those that offer English taught courses there in Lund, Oslo, Copenhagen and Leuven). I don't know how many places the Law department has at each university but I know that in my department (across the whole of History/Archaeology/Classics) each university usually only has 1 or 2 places per year. Obviously your chance of getting on all depends on your competition. Try contacting the Erasmus co-ordinator for more information (click on Info for outgoing students for contact details).

It seems easier to get onto the International Exchange programme (there are more places, and they are all taught in English). Although you obviously miss out on the financial aid that the Erasmus Grant, etc. offer you. The International exchange programme also has a much earlier application date.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Hmm... my experiences were the contary of artorscience, so perhaps it depends on what department you're in. I personally found Erasmus a piece of cake to get onto, if you wanted to go you could go and it wasn't awfully competitive, whereas the international exchanges (ie: non erasmus) were more competitive. The international one took more consideration into your exam results from 1st year and said you needed a high B average (65%) to really be sure of being considered for a place, whereas the erasmus people didn't say anything like that. The system works that you apply stating your location preferences, then you write a PS type thing too. Then they rank everyone according to grades from first year plus a bit extra if you had a good PS/will be a good ambassador for the university, then they just go down the list allocating everyone their choices in order of preference until there are no spaces left.

If you can, I would personally stick to erasmus. The exchange experience will be amazing whereever you go, and if money is at all a concern to you, then erasmus is where its at. If you pay tution fees the EU will pay them for that year, and you get a non repayable non assessed grant of around 280 euros a month from the EU on top of your normal student loan. If you do not study in the EU you have to fund everything yourself.

Certainly stick to your guns and apply for it in 2nd year, I was doubting myself even though this was something that I'd wanted to do for years. But I went in the end, and got back home 2 weeks ago - I've had the best year of my life.
oxymoronic
you get a non repayable non assessed grant of around 280 euros a month from the EU on top of your normal student loan.

Pah. It's not going to be that much next academic year.

I think you'll find that the exchange to Finland is one of the big exceptions that proves the rule - there appear to be very few places to study in other places, while I know of more people who got to go where they wanted than didn't, it doesn't mean you're quite the shoe in that one would like to think one might be.
Reply 4
Despite the fact that not too many people (at least in terms of graduating degree - though this can change up until the end of second year with Law) choose to study Joint Hons (i.e. including a language), an exchange year is especially popular for Law. Around 20% of third years on the LLB study abroad - http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/erasmus/

As for grades, I'm not sure how Law compares to other disciplines, as the average grade in the first two years is usually Low B or a C from what the Law school tells me (from feedback on my exams and percentages attaining different grades etc). Perhaps someone on here studies Law and did an exchange or plans to and they may be of help. Otherwise check the Law School website, prospectus or the Ed Uni details on exchanges. Good luck.
nearlyheadlessian
Pah. It's not going to be that much next academic year.

Really? I'd of thought it'd be more cos its based on stuff from the financial year, and obviously the pound - euro hit a big low this year.

You're gonna have just as much fun in Sweden as I did with regards to the cost of living in relation to how little money you have from the EU and student loans! I'd have loved to have gone somewhere cheap!
Reply 6
Thanks very much everyone. :smile:

So, so excited about going to Edinburgh yet also dying to leave for a year! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Hi, I would say Oxymoronic is completely correct.

In my experience law was different from other faculties at edinburgh university with regards to exchanges. Grades matter for the non erasmus ones but for erasmus it's easy to get on with whatever grades. In fact, they had 3 spaces at the place I went but 4 of us wanted to go so they just asked for another place and hey presto! There are several very good universities that teach in english - check here http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/erasmus/participatinginstitutions.aspx for law specific info. I have to say in my opinion law students seem more insular and afraid to study abroad than the arts students, and thats why it's easy to get a place: no demand! which is a shame, because it is the best best year ever.

I got more than 280 euros a month but it was a few years ago, the pound was very strong and it was amazing financially.
Reply 8
globalista
Hi, I would say Oxymoronic is completely correct.

In my experience law was different from other faculties at edinburgh university with regards to exchanges. Grades matter for the non erasmus ones but for erasmus it's easy to get on with whatever grades. In fact, they had 3 spaces at the place I went but 4 of us wanted to go so they just asked for another place and hey presto! There are several very good universities that teach in english - check here http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/erasmus/participatinginstitutions.aspx for law specific info. I have to say in my opinion law students seem more insular and afraid to study abroad than the arts students, and thats why it's easy to get a place: no demand! which is a shame, because it is the best best year ever.

I got more than 280 euros a month but it was a few years ago, the pound was very strong and it was amazing financially.

Beilliant - thanks very much for your advice! Are you allowed to apply for both Erasmus and the international exchange, or do you have to pick one?
Reply 9
When I did it we just put 2 or 3 places in order of preference - you can put an international one as top choice and an erasmus as backup. They will help you as much as possible to get to go somewhere - it's something they want to encourage.

Latest

Trending

Trending