The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whitepearlbaby
To be quite honest with you, if you expect gentlemanlike behaviour and to be treated like a "girl", you should also give up your education and work and be a stay-at-home mum like a good girl.

I'm all for equality, but not the two-faced kind that says "girls should be paid equally but men should still hold the doors open and pay for dinner" if you know what I mean.

I don't agree. I work in a male dominated environment who have big egos. I won't argue with anything they say because, quite frankly, I'm scared that they could kick me out- there're a lot of dodgy goings on at my workplace. So in return for doing as I'm told (no matter how ridiculous it may be), I ask that they treat me with respect, rather than just as "one of the lads".

Original post by FluffyLion
Totally agree. You should hold doors open for everyone (within reason - don't wait 5 minutes for the next person coming through the door!)

True, but they don't for everyone. Some of them just don't have manners, which I don't appreciate.
I think there should be a 'lovely customers' thread too... I work as a receptionist but had a really busy evening so had to help on the bar as well, and some German guys came in and were really lovely and even gave me a tip :smile:

And the other day I kept some bags safe for two girls while they waited for their train, even though we're not really supposed to, and when they came to collect them they brought me a bar of chocolate and some grape juice :smile:
Original post by derp
No. Women should treat men merely as other people who are just like them - not use any sort of "power" over them. And men should do the same.

Original post by Mess.
You are a disgrace to equality and the feminist cause that women died for.

To be quite honest with you, if you expect gentlemanlike behaviour and to be treated like a "girl", you should also give up your education and work and be a stay-at-home mum like a good girl.

I'm all for equality, but not the two-faced kind that says "girls should be paid equally but men should still hold the doors open and pay for dinner" if you know what I mean.

Actually? I just thought about your responses, and I realised that it was conceited of me to say that women have "power over men". I realised that I only feel bad because I don't like having to do as I'm told, without any arguments, by many of the people at work. The surprising thing is that the majority of those mistreated at work are female...

Hmmm... it's given me food for thought. But eitherway, I'd like to apologise to any of the men I may have offended by comment.
Original post by malaikah
Actually? I just thought about your responses, and I realised that it was conceited of me to say that women have "power over men". I realised that I only feel bad because I don't like having to do as I'm told, without any arguments, by many of the people at work. The surprising thing is that the majority of those mistreated at work are female...

Hmmm... it's given me food for thought. But eitherway, I'd like to apologise to any of the men I may have offended by comment.

I guess it's different at your work place than "normal".
I guess it's different at your work place than "normal".

Fast food industry work is definitely not "normal", it's very tough....
But hey, it pays the bills!
Original post by Emma:-)
I had a customer a few months back but i have never wrote about him on here.
Its more weird than annoying. But a bloke ordered 2 big mac meals. I got his drinks and big macs and put them on a tray. I said that i was just going to get his fries. Then i went and did his fries (i was in view- so he could see what i was doing). Then i went to the till with his fries and he wasnt there. He had gone and took his tray of food/drinks with him. I looked round the store but couldnt see him. you always get fries with meals- plus i told him i was doing his fries- but he had gone. He was never seen again- he didnt come back for his fries or anything.
I mentioned what had happened to the manager who was there- just in case he did come back though. But he never was seen again. Strange.

That comment sounds like a legend that will be told for generations.

I don't know why....I can just picture an old man with a large beard sitting in a rocking chair, smoking a pipe and telling his curious grand children the story of the Big Mac Man.

".....and that, my little ones, was when he vanished. He was never heard from again"
Reply 2006

Chivalry.

Bitches love chivalry.
Original post by burial
Chivalry.

Bitches love chivalry.

w/e you didn't even do it right
Original post by o Rebecca o
That comment sounds like a legend that will be told for generations.

I don't know why....I can just picture an old man with a large beard sitting in a rocking chair, smoking a pipe and telling his curious grand children the story of the Big Mac Man.

".....and that, my little ones, was when he vanished. He was never heard from again"

Looking back at it now, it does make me picture that sort of thing too, lol. I never realised when i actually wrote it.
There have been a couple of times lately when i have had customers that have been a bit annoying.
One of them was a couple of sundays ago. At the time we where really quiet and there where hardly any customers. Basically this family came in. Most of the family where fine. They ordered their food, then sat down and ate what they had ordered. The girl though (who must have been about 6) insisted on trying to cause havoc- and the rest of the family let her and didnt even bat an eye lid. For a start, when the family first came in, the girl came straight up to the counter and asked for her face to be painted. The lad that was on front counter explained that we only do face painting on a saturday afternoon. And the girl who did face painting wasnt in that day (even if she was, she wouldnt have got the stuff out just for one person). Then the girl said that she had had her face painted the day before and the girl hadnt finished it, and she wanted it done again. The girl wouldnt have started doing someones face then not finished it, especially as they are paying £1 to have it done. The lad explained again that we only did it on saturdays and the girl who does it isnt in that day, so if she wanted it done then she would have to come in on a saturday.
Then later on when they are eating their food- the girl comes over. She had one of the monopoly stickers in her hands. It was a "play online" sticker. She was moaning that "it says play online". So we explained that you have to go on the internet to enter the code and see if you have won. Then she was moaning "we havent got a computer here", so we said that she would have to do it when she got home. So she walked off. Then she came back not long later and was like "my fries are cold". I spoke to the lad on front counter, as he had served them, plus he is a crew trainer (so is higher up than me). He looked on his till for the order to find they had ordered the food 15 minutes before- so of course they would be cold. So after speaking to the manager who was there, the lad had to explain to her that they where cold as she had ordered them over 15 minutes ago. So we couldnt replace them. I was so glad when we got rid of her.
Oh god, some people are retarded. And I wouldn't mind if they weren't so rude.

A woman comes up to the till with lighting fluid. me:"hello love" - her:"yeah" - "would you like a bag" - "yes" *angry grumble* "that'll be 1.49 please" - "no" - "sorry?" - "it's a pound" - "okay, would you point me out to where you got it from?" we walk over to the gardening isle, where there's an empty spot. she points at the price ticket, and it says "slug killer" on it. "oh, sorry, i'm afraid someone must have randomly placed it in the gardening section, i can assure you we don't sell lighting fluid in this section" - "i don't want it then" *angry stare* aaaaaaand she leaves.

I mean fair enough you might be having a bad day, but manners don't cost anything. It really irritates me when people don't say yes please to a bag, just "yes", I don't know if that's overreacting?
Oh god, some people are retarded. And I wouldn't mind if they weren't so rude.

A woman comes up to the till with lighting fluid. me:"hello love" - her:"yeah" - "would you like a bag" - "yes" *angry grumble* "that'll be 1.49 please" - "no" - "sorry?" - "it's a pound" - "okay, would you point me out to where you got it from?" we walk over to the gardening isle, where there's an empty spot. she points at the price ticket, and it says "slug killer" on it. "oh, sorry, i'm afraid someone must have randomly placed it in the gardening section, i can assure you we don't sell lighting fluid in this section" - "i don't want it then" *angry stare* aaaaaaand she leaves.

I mean fair enough you might be having a bad day, but manners don't cost anything. It really irritates me when people don't say yes please to a bag, just "yes", I don't know if that's overreacting?

I have so many customers that don't even react when I speak to them. I'll say hello, would you like any bags etc, and they'll just walk over, and not even say hi. I had a woman today smile and point at the school's vouchers we're doing, without saying a word. So ****ing patronising!
I have so many customers that don't even react when I speak to them. I'll say hello, would you like any bags etc, and they'll just walk over, and not even say hi. I had a woman today smile and point at the school's vouchers we're doing, without saying a word. So ****ing patronising!

Yeah, I mean I have customers coming in that really are deaf, but surely not that many? Plus the 16-year-olds with loads of make-up and fake tan that talk to their friends on the phone (or in person) and just throw their shopping on the counter... I don't even bother with those girls anymore, I just stick everything in a bag and wait until they give me their money. I mean, they don't even look at you for a second!
Yeah, I mean I have customers coming in that really are deaf, but surely not that many? Plus the 16-year-olds with loads of make-up and fake tan that talk to their friends on the phone (or in person) and just throw their shopping on the counter... I don't even bother with those girls anymore, I just stick everything in a bag and wait until they give me their money. I mean, they don't even look at you for a second!

Don't get me started on people that put their money down and not into my hand! If I see someone's paying cash, I always put my hand out, but so many people just put it down onto the counter. I find it really difficult to pick up, cause I have really short nails. My response is normally to do the same back to them with their change. I had one woman put down her cash in pieces onto the counter, I put my hand down in the way so that she would put it into my hand, and she just moved where she was putting the money onto!
Reply 2014

The thing I never get with deaf customers is that they don't carry a pen and paper on them.
Trying to find a pen at work is pretty difficult, especially when it's busy and tbh if I was death I'd probably always carry at least a pen on me in case I desperately needed to tell somebody something.

Don't get me started on people that put their money down and not into my hand! If I see someone's paying cash, I always put my hand out, but so many people just put it down onto the counter. I find it really difficult to pick up, cause I have really short nails. My response is normally to do the same back to them with their change. I had one woman put down her cash in pieces onto the counter, I put my hand down in the way so that she would put it into my hand, and she just moved where she was putting the money onto!

AGREED!
I always hold my hand out for the cash...I reckon some people must think "Who knows where his hands have been! I'll just put it on the counter instead" .. well I'm touching your food love... :tongue:

A couple of days ago a lady went to pay, took a twenty from her purse, placed it on the counter straight below her and was rummaging through her purse as if she was looking for change.
I assumed she was looking for something smaller since her total was only a few quid.
She looks up at me and says "well there you are then!"

Some people :mad:
Original post by Stacks
The thing I never get with deaf customers is that they don't carry a pen and paper on them.
Trying to find a pen at work is pretty difficult, especially when it's busy and tbh if I was death I'd probably always carry at least a pen on me in case I desperately needed to tell somebody something.

You'd think it'd make sense, but people often don't want to admit weakness like that. Similarly, I wear glasses, have done since I was 4, am at the cusp of medium to severe myopia - can't stand it when people say things like 'Oh I've forgotten my glasses, can you just tell me when to put my number in?' 'Good for you, being able to forget your glasses. I wouldn't be able to get here without mine'.

Original post by Stacks

AGREED!
I always hold my hand out for the cash...I reckon some people must think "Who knows where his hands have been! I'll just put it on the counter instead" .. well I'm touching your food love... :tongue:

Some people :mad:

This reminded me of something I thought about today - people not wanting to put clothes on the conveyor belt but are more than willing to put them on the bagging area afterwards. By any stretch of logic, both have had the same amount of dirt on them... If anything, the bagging area has more dirt, because it's the same all the time, whereas the conveyor belt moves...
I had to pick up my younger sister from work today, she works in a coffee shop. Her biggest pet peeve would be customers who don't speak English getting angry at her for not understanding their language.
I still get annoyed by these people who have 12 hours to shop, yet come in to buy stuff 2 minutes before the store closes. Even if it's not me unlucky enough to get caught up with them. I don't mean just quickly put it through the till and away they go, I mean they are browsing and looking for ideas, and want help that you'd be more willing to give if it was earlier in the day.
Reply 2018
Original post by Stacks

Just got an image of the grim reaper with a notepad :teehee:
Reply 2019
Original post by ily_em
Just got an image of the grim reaper with a notepad :teehee:
Curse you for noticing how bad I am at spelling!

Latest

Trending

Trending