The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Travel agency - you get families with kids, posh people who go on fancy exotic holidays, and people who are used to having their own way with everything because they have money... this rich couple threatened to file a complaint because I told them that cruises to Alaska don't run in the winter months...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SortYourLife
Eurgh know the feeling! Although really a manager checks them exactly how I would and you can put through 49.99 on the till and it doesn't need a card

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what I do! Ain't nobody got time fo dat!
Original post by ohhello92x
Luckily where I work we've been told to say no for changing notes..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its the same at the mcdonalds i work at as well.
We have been told not to change notes at all. Basically because once before, a lad who used to work with me got scammed be people asking to change notes. They kept changing notes and in the end, his till was down by over £100. It happened to another lad a few months later, but his till wasnt down by nearly as much.
So ever since the first incident, we just got told not to change any at all, whatsoever. At least then no one can get scammed or anything.
Original post by happysmile
Travel agency - you get families with kids, posh people who go on fancy exotic holidays, and people who are used to having their own way with everything because they have money... this rich couple threatened to file a complaint because I told them that cruises to Alaska don't run in the winter months...

My sister works in a travel agents as well.
She gets some time-wasters in, who go around getting quotes for holidays, but have no intention of actually booking anything.
Reply 9724
I work in a well known high-street health and beauty store.

I once had an elderly lady ask me about cough syrup whilst pointing at a box of condoms. I kindly explained her mistake after she asked if it would help soothe her throat. Not really annoying, she was actually lovely.
(edited 10 years ago)
I hate people that come into the bar and say 'one vodka please' and expect me to just know that its a double with coke.

And there's a special place in hell for people who order one drink at a time in one transaction, particularly when its the same bloody drink four times!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have one annoyance which ive never actually mentioned on here.
Basically, people come round drive thru, knowing full well that the window in their car doesnt work. This means that they have to open their door and get out- both when ordering at the speakerbox and at the window. This causes a kerfuffle, as well holding everything up. Seriously, if your window doesnt work- then DONT COME ROUND DRIVE THRU!!! Come inside instead.
The only time i can sort of let people off is when its frosty/snowy and their window is frozen shut. But even then, you would think that people would check that their window opens before coming round.
Original post by Emma:-)
I have one annoyance which ive never actually mentioned on here.
Basically, people come round drive thru, knowing full well that the window in their car doesnt work. This means that they have to open their door and get out- both when ordering at the speakerbox and at the window. This causes a kerfuffle, as well holding everything up. Seriously, if your window doesnt work- then DONT COME ROUND DRIVE THRU!!! Come inside instead.
The only time i can sort of let people off is when its frosty/snowy and their window is frozen shut. But even then, you would think that people would check that their window opens before coming round.

Totally agree with this. Quite often it makes it really hard to hear what they're ordering as well. I struggle with hearing people properly over the headset as it is and when there's a door in the way it really doesn't help.

Had one customer today who really annoyed me. We were really busy over breakfast today, and had practically no staff in - there was nobody scheduled to start at six, when the overnighters were meant to go home at five, then on top of that at least 4 people didn't show up for their shifts. We got really busy and were waiting on a lot of food so I sat this family down and said I'd bring it over. Got his food to him in just under ten minutes, which I know isn't great but that was as quick as I could do it. He then kicked up a real fuss, saying it was really poor service and that the front counter staff had been stood around chatting. Needless to say, we weren't. Any conversation involved negotiating who needed what food for their orders.
Original post by Stripes23
Totally agree with this. Quite often it makes it really hard to hear what they're ordering as well. I struggle with hearing people properly over the headset as it is and when there's a door in the way it really doesn't help.

Had one customer today who really annoyed me. We were really busy over breakfast today, and had practically no staff in - there was nobody scheduled to start at six, when the overnighters were meant to go home at five, then on top of that at least 4 people didn't show up for their shifts. We got really busy and were waiting on a lot of food so I sat this family down and said I'd bring it over. Got his food to him in just under ten minutes, which I know isn't great but that was as quick as I could do it. He then kicked up a real fuss, saying it was really poor service and that the front counter staff had been stood around chatting. Needless to say, we weren't. Any conversation involved negotiating who needed what food for their orders.

I can totally sympathise with this.
Ive had times before when we have been really busy, there arent many staff in etc. Then people moan about the queue, the lack of staff etc. We try our best, and thats as much as we can do. Ive had people say in the past "the queues really long ive been waiting ages" or "there isnt many staff, cant you get more staff in" and other similar things. Its like "yes, i know you have been waiting in the queue, its is busy- what do you expect. But we are going as fast as we can". With regards to the 'get more staff in' comment i feel like saying "oh yes sir, sure, ill just pull some more staff out of my arse shall i?" Its not my fault that people have phoned in sick/not turned up for shifts/the manager hasnt scheduled enough people in the first place/no one will come in and do an extra shift or when the manager has phoned round.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Antifazian
I hate people that come into the bar and say 'one vodka please' and expect me to just know that its a double with coke.

And there's a special place in hell for people who order one drink at a time in one transaction, particularly when its the same bloody drink four times!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

Also when people claim to be owed a free drink. Or order a drink, watch me pour it, then decide they actually want a different drink. Or people who complain they're not being served when they have to wait more than 45 seconds at a packed bar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
When I worked at Subway, there was two occasions where I was handed a £50 note to pay for a £3 sub. I sort of looked at the customer in disbelief before asking could they pay on card instead. Both times they did pay on card instead, so why couldn't they just do that in the first place?!

After quite a few people started doing it, we stopped accepting them completely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by NickyJWatkinson
People do it at McDonald's too! Like, for a hamburger (89p). How do you even have a £50? We can't accept them unless we get a manager to come and check it - you need to swipe a manager card on the till to put it through, which is a massive pain when there are no managers around! It holds everything up. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In all fairness, I don't understand why a lot of businesses are funny with £50 notes.

I get that they're uncommon, but they're still legal tender. With regard to the higher instance of forgeries, don't most places have machines you can put them under (that shine UV light, or whatever) to check that they're legit?

The only time I ever handled £50 notes, I got them at currency exchange after returning from holiday, and had 4 of the things which I couldn't get rid of, and ended up having to pay them into my bank.
Original post by askew116
In all fairness, I don't understand why a lot of businesses are funny with £50 notes.

I get that they're uncommon, but they're still legal tender. With regard to the higher instance of forgeries, don't most places have machines you can put them under (that shine UV light, or whatever) to check that they're legit?

The only time I ever handled £50 notes, I got them at currency exchange after returning from holiday, and had 4 of the things which I couldn't get rid of, and ended up having to pay them into my bank.

We take them in Game as it's high prices goods people are buying. But we didn't have a machine just a pen that always got lost so we had to do the old rub the note on receipt paper trick.
Reply 9732
I work at a pharmacy, and this guy walked in once and just goes "Yeaaah I want two bottles of codeine linctus (It's an addictive cough mixture that is rarely given as a first resort, and is only for short term use) one with sugar and one without and a bottle of Phenegan for children (Travel sickness medication that causes drowsiness)"

So I go why so many codeines? How long have you had your cough and have you tried anything else? He replies yeaah man I tried every one of those mixture you guys sell. I go how long have you had your cough for.. to which he replies "a day an a half".

So I ask him, "So you're saying you've tried 8 different cough mixtures in the space of 36 hours?"

And that ticked him off and I got the whole "Give me your name, and your position and your head office's number and you'll be contacted by my solicitors"

Then this then that..

Then he goes to the pharmacist if I ever catch you man on road...

:bban:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SHOO
I work at a pharmacy, and this guy walked in once and just goes "Yeaaah I want two bottles of codeine linctus (It's an addictive cough mixture that is rarely given as a first resort, and is only for short term use) one with sugar and one without and a bottle of Phenegan for children (Travel sickness medication that causes drowsiness)"

So I go why so many codeines? How long have you had your cough and have you tried anything else? He replies yeaah man I tried every one of those mixture you guys sell. I go how long have you had your cough for.. to which he replies "a day an a half".

So I ask him, "So you're saying you've tried 8 different cough mixtures in the space of 36 hours?"

And that ticked him off and I got the whole "Give me your name, and your position and your head office's number and you'll be contacted by my solicitors"

Then this then that..

Then he goes to the pharmacist if I ever catch you man on road...

:bban:

Oh lord. I know they're really strict with Phenegan because people were giving their children in (my mother included which explains a lot). But I managed to get it for flying and it nearly KOd me before I was on the plane!
I never quite understood the tourists that come over to the UK without exchanging any money for GBP. We had this once with Americans who wanted to pay in dollars...:confused:
Reply 9735
Original post by lyrical_lie
Oh lord. I know they're really strict with Phenegan because people were giving their children in (my mother included which explains a lot). But I managed to get it for flying and it nearly KOd me before I was on the plane!

Haha I can imagine. Another thing that is abused is Dulcolax which is a sedative medication used to treat constipation in adults. You get young girls coming in and buying a box of 100 tablets. Once is ok, you just assume they have really bad constipation, but when they come in a week later and buy another your just like :eek:

Turns out they use it to maintain their weight. Because the medication stimulates bowel movements, these girls can practically eat whatever they like and then before it can be absorbed in the body it is pushed out..

Clever but what they don't realise is that your bowels become dependent on it and can not function properly without it.. which can be really really distressing :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Most customers are idiots.

That is all.
So customer comes in orders a latte, I go over to our machine and I'm just about to push the 'latte' button when...

'That's not the latte button'
Me: excuse me?
Customer: I used to work with that machine you aren't pressing the right button, it's that one (points at Americano button)
Me: erm... I've worked here 2 years this is definitely the right button.
Customer: no it is not! I want that one press that button.
Me: if I press this button you will get an Americano.
Customer: no I won't it's the latte button I KNOW.

Ok ******** enjoy your Americano.
Reply 9738
I work in recruitment, one candidate called me and threatened he'd make me lose my job if he didn't get the job he applied for :wtf:
Me: "Do you need any help with your packing?"
Customer: "No, but I need help with paying. Ahahahahaha!"

Oh **** off. I hear that 'joke' every time I go into work.

Latest

Trending

Trending