The Student Room Group
We had a problem with our breakfast screens the other day, and we were all waiting on food. Someone took a big order and was waiting for something but assembled the rest of it. They were waiting a while...

There was a porridge in the bag, and the customer went 'take that porridge out of the bag before I throw it over you' -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had a customer two days ago who tried to buy a bottle of wine without ID. She looked under 25, but over 18. When she pointed this out, I said I needed ID even though she looked over 18, and she unbelievably showed me police ID (which of course we don't accept), despite it being against the law. I continued to refuse sale. She then tried to blackmail me by saying I'd have ruined Father's Day. The rest of her shopping that I processed, there was just an awkward silence...
Original post by navarre
Had a customer two days ago who tried to buy a bottle of wine without ID. She looked under 25, but over 18. When she pointed this out, I said I needed ID even though she looked over 18, and she unbelievably showed me police ID (which of course we don't accept), despite it being against the law. I continued to refuse sale. She then tried to blackmail me by saying I'd have ruined Father's Day. The rest of her shopping that I processed, there was just an awkward silence...

Lol, a police officer trying to get somebody to do something illegal.

Could have been a sting :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So thankful I stopped working at my previous employer where managers had no balls and now have a no-nonsense manager who doesn't take flak from customers. Where I worked previously (department store) the staff were expected to politely tell the customers that we would be closing soon, a tannoy would go off every 5 minutes until closing etc. and if a customer was fannying about the staff had to wait til they were finished despite not getting paid, but where I work now the manager approaches them and goes "we're closing in a couple of minutes so you'll have to hurry or I'll lock you in". Obviously she's kidding but if a customer stays after closing she isn't polite about it and follows them out of the shop so they have no choice but to hurry up and leave.

Had a customer the other day nearly walk into the shutters as they were closing thinking we were still open and going off in a huff when she realised we were closed - do people have no peripheral vision anymore?
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Had a customer the other day nearly walk into the shutters as they were closing thinking we were still open and going off in a huff when she realised we were closed - do people have no peripheral vision anymore?

Judging by the amount of customers who walk straight through the chairs, opened bin doors, cleaning in progress signs and other things we can find to block off the closed section of the restaurant in the evenings, no. Technically we're only supposed to use one cleaning in progress sign each side to block it off, pretty sure whoever came up with that rule has never actually dealt with customers.
Original post by L0L!
I'm a huge stickler. I don't see how it's annoying wanting the full and best experience for your pay.

Yes, people are entitled to have the full and best experience for the money you pay. But there is a difference between that and being difficult, obnoxious or kicking off at things that are either company rules or clearly out of our control.
Original post by StacFace
Judging by the amount of customers who walk straight through the chairs, opened bin doors, cleaning in progress signs and other things we can find to block off the closed section of the restaurant in the evenings, no. Technically we're only supposed to use one cleaning in progress sign each side to block it off, pretty sure whoever came up with that rule has never actually dealt with customers.

I agree.
I usually put quite a few wet floor signs up- collecting all the wet floor signs i can find in the store on my way. I sometimes get the occasional odd look but i think its needed.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
So thankful I stopped working at my previous employer where managers had no balls and now have a no-nonsense manager who doesn't take flak from customers. Where I worked previously (department store) the staff were expected to politely tell the customers that we would be closing soon, a tannoy would go off every 5 minutes until closing etc. and if a customer was fannying about the staff had to wait til they were finished despite not getting paid, but where I work now the manager approaches them and goes "we're closing in a couple of minutes so you'll have to hurry or I'll lock you in". Obviously she's kidding but if a customer stays after closing she isn't polite about it and follows them out of the shop so they have no choice but to hurry up and leave.

We're in a similar position but I just tell them myself, also we set the doors to exit only 2-3 mins before closing as a train gets in and otherwise they come pouring in. Sometimes people complain, saying you don't close for a few minutes yet, and I say unfortunately that's when we close not last admissions. They just take the piss, we used to have people ambling around 10-15 mins after we closed, not anymore, we're either employed till quarter past or half past though anyway, but we have stuff to do after the customers have left, so it still makes us run late.
Original post by theronkinator
We're in a similar position but I just tell them myself, also we set the doors to exit only 2-3 mins before closing as a train gets in and otherwise they come pouring in. Sometimes people complain, saying you don't close for a few minutes yet, and I say unfortunately that's when we close not last admissions. They just take the piss, we used to have people ambling around 10-15 mins after we closed, not anymore, we're either employed till quarter past or half past though anyway, but we have stuff to do after the customers have left, so it still makes us run late.

Customers seem incapable of realising that we actually have jobs to do before opening and after closing.
Like ive had customers in a morning turn up before we open. Most are fine and go away, admitting they hadnt realised we dont open until 7. But some are like "what are you doing here then?" And we have to explain that we are turning everything on/setting everything up/getting stock out etc. Or they beg to be served anyway- and we have to explain that the machines take time to get up to temperature, the floats in the tills havent been made up yet etc etc. Some get ever more desperate, like "can i just have a coffee?" Erm...NO!!! The machine isnt up to temperature yet so the milk will still be mega cold!!! Plus how do you expect us to take your money with the till we have just told you we havent got a float for!!!
There have been problems on the close as well. People have tried to go round and they get told we are closed. Theres the usual question about "what are you doing here?" to which staff give the usual answer about turning everything off and cleaning. Some are like "can you serve me anyway?" and the staff have to explain that everything has been turned off and is being cleaned and the tills are being counted. Some are like "have you got any food left?" the staff have to explain that we havent, especially since late at night we only cook to order, plus the tills have been taken off.
I swear customers think everything is instant and we walk in 2 minutes before opening and leave 2 minutes after closing.
Original post by AlphaTango
I don't mean so much creepy old men but there used to be quite a few students/young guys who would always overly-flirt with the girls I worked with at a well known restaurant and as a guy it used to bug me but the girls liked the attention, wondering what the TSRians thought haha.

Yeah I've gone back to work today and took an order on drive-thru - over a headset, so the customer can't see me, they can only hear me - and when I asked "is that everything?", he said "oh and put your number on the bottom of the receipt as well", which is clearly just him having a joke to make his mates laugh and make me feel uncomfortable, because what do you say to that? So those guys are the most annoying.
This isn't exactly annoying, just more... confusing, than anything. I had a woman come in today, to return a 79p pen. She had thought it cost £2.59, and did not want it at the cheaper price she had paid the day before. She accused me of having lowered the price just for her, that 'as soon as I walked into this shop the price magically plummeted for me' (for some reason this offended her), saying that I had 'cheated her' (eh?) and that she didn't want some cheap-ass clearance pen. SHE HAD SPECIFICALLY ASKED FOR THAT PEN! She even brought in one so we could find it for her. I mean, it's not my fault she didn't read the price label. Most people would've been happy to find out something was cheaper than expected, and often buy extra to stock up, but hey. Can anyone explain how this offended/upset her? She seemed really quite posh, in that elegant grandmother sort of way, so maybe that had a part.
This isn't annoying customers but I remember one time there was a takeaway who does a lunchtime deal and to stop serving more people with that deal J saw him walk away so he wouldn't take any orders and come back 5 minutes later to take them and get extra money.

But then you get annoying customers who ask for the deal even if they are late even though it says for example 12-4

10k post :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, I asked some customers where they were from in Ireland due to there accent, they said Scotland and refused to be served by me the remainder of the time :rolleyes: Still confused to this day about them!
Reply 9953
Original post by Blackacre
I haven't been following this thread, but if someone could QFA me when you reach 10,000 posts* so I can lock it, that'd be helpful. Thanks! :smile:

*10,000 posts on annoying customers! Who'd have thought it?!

QFA :awesome:
Original post by Aula
QFA :awesome:

Thanks for remembering! :five:

I'll just close this thread since I'm on my phone and I can't easily create another, but do feel free to start a Part 2. :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending