The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by FluffyLion
Where do you work? That's pretty cool! I love getting people spending loads at work. I had some people almost spend a grand, and then they needed some more stuff so my supervisors went and took them to the customer service desk. I think my "record" is £600 of booze to a colleague who was preparing for a wedding in a few months time. Ten bottles of JD, ten bottles of champagne etc... :cool:

OOPS sorry i forgot to mention. Mcdonalds. This is why it is really strange :biggrin: Our usual order is £5 sometime we get people spending around 20! My record is about £35.
Does anyone really expect, I mean, honestly, that coming in to do your food shop on Christmas Eve won’t result in some form of disappointment? Why don’t we have any turkeys? Because, Madame, today is Christmas Eve. If you had wished to purchase a turkey, Madame, then it would have perhaps been advisable to do so before today...

Waitrose customer service = king. so, sirs, madames etc etc. Which i dont mind, i like being good at my job. I have to say though, irritating customers aside (really, is it too much trouble to push your trolley 20 yards into a bay? really?), nothing comes close to the level of annoyance i feel for the full time staff who manage to breeze through doing Sh*t all work, which part timers get the bad rap for. I beg to differ, seeing as how i can work 10 cages of stock on my own of an evening...
Original post by Gallabay
Does anyone really expect, I mean, honestly, that coming in to do your food shop on Christmas Eve won’t result in some form of disappointment? Why don’t we have any turkeys? Because, Madame, today is Christmas Eve. If you had wished to purchase a turkey, Madame, then it would have perhaps been advisable to do so before today...

Waitrose customer service = king. so, sirs, madames etc etc. Which i dont mind, i like being good at my job. I have to say though, irritating customers aside (really, is it too much trouble to push your trolley 20 yards into a bay? really?), nothing comes close to the level of annoyance i feel for the full time staff who manage to breeze through doing Sh*t all work, which part timers get the bad rap for. I beg to differ, seeing as how i can work 10 cages of stock on my own of an evening...

Me and my brother both used to work as waiters on a first class diner train, and we had to call the customers "sir" and "madam" then, and then we both moved to Tesco (a year apart), and he called a customer "madam", and she reported him, because "madams" are prostitutes. So now we don't say either! :smile:

Me and my brother both used to work as waiters on a first class diner train, and we had to call the customers "sir" and "madam" then, and then we both moved to Tesco (a year apart), and he called a customer "madam", and she reported him, because "madams" are prostitutes. So now we don't say either! :smile:

Was she American? My stepmother is of this attitude... I never know what to call female customers as the eqivelent of 'Sir'.
Reply 984
I was talking about annoying customers on my break today, discussing the usual annoyances and one of my friends was telling me about how some guy had to wait 3 mins for his big tasty to cook and said "I thought this was supposed to be FAST food". I laughed.

I then went downstairs and my first customer asked for a plain cheeseburger I told him it would be 2 minutes to which he snorted to his wife "I thought this was supposed to be FAST food". I almost burst out laughing and had to turn around so he didn't see my massive grin.
Also it would be faster if you didn't want us to make you something not on the menu!!

That's what makes McDonalds
Record transaction: £1100
on two items....at Halfords....and it wasn't a stereo or satnav

Back to the main topic, had this one guy who was standing with a can of blue paint in one hand and a can of green in the other, the conversation went like this...

Me: Could I help you at all sir?

Man: yeaah I was wondering if you could, my car is a greeney, blue sort of colour; which one of these would it be?

Me: well that depends, do you know the paint code?

Man: No, but it's a greeney blue and looks like one of these.

Me: Ok then, do you know the name of the paint?

Man: I don't, but it's a bluey green.

Me: No problem, do you have the car with you? I could go out and match up a sample of the paints we have in store and if we don't have it in stock, I'll mix some up for you.

Man: I don't have the car with me....so which paint is it that I need?

Me: Well without the name, paint code or an actual car to reference it to, I'm afraid I don't know

Man: it's a greeney blue, how can you not understand this?!

Me: Because sir, I do not know what colour your car is.

Man: Well you're useless, I thought you guys were supposed to know everything!

*customer storms off*

ugggh
I work in a bike shop, and last Summer we had a rather funny event:

Was mid-day, was absolutely searing heat and everyone at the shop just wanted to finish so we could go riding. We weren't in the best of moods, but being 'good-salesmen' we kept our game-faces on till about ten minuets before finishing-time.

So, ten to four, some guy comes in. Naturally, we were a bit ':frown:' but I went over to see if he had any help. I asked him and he turned around and said to me, "Excuse me, I know more then you do about bikes, I don't need help..." - So, me on the back-foot nodded, said "fair-enough" and walked back to the counter. We'd have been happier with him in at this point if he'd been a nice bloke. But seen as he was a complete *******, we were naturally pissed-to-**** off by this point.

He walked around the shop floor probably the neck end of twenty times? Looking at exactly the same things on his way around. By this point, it was twenty-past-four, and we've stayed open later to help customers who are buying a bike or buying kit, but seen as this guy seemed set on just looking, we sent Matty out to tell him that he needed to leave as we were closing up.
He walks over, asks him nicely to leave and he shouts back at him, "Look, I'm a customer, and I'm browsing your items! I'm well within my right to do so (which, of course he is), so just back off and leave me alone!" - He does have the right to look around, but he doesn't have the right to be a jackass.

Eventually, the Manager walks over, and being a no-****-straight-to-the-point guy, (and being about a foot taller and broader then the gentlemen in the shop), says, "That's it, either buy something, or leave!" - So the guy picks up a rear-hub, walks over to the desk, and is about to buy it when (by shop-rules) I have to ask what bike he's buying it for. He said a road-bike, so I said, "This isn't the right hub for that, this wont even work on a road-bike".

This absolutely sends him over the edge. He picks up the box, smashes it down on our glass-counter (we have a display of upper-range items in there), cracks the glass, throws the box at Ryan, tips over a stand and screams at us all saying, "This is the worst shop I've ever been in! You're rude, you're demanding, you're plain and simple the worst salesmen ever!" - Which we thought was a bit rude, seen as we'd asked him kindly if we could help and he ripped down two floor-salesmen. At this point, the Manager grabs him, drags him too the door, throws him outside and locks it. The guy phones the Police, they arrive and after two minuets of hearing what we have to say and how he was abusive to us, the Police arrest him.

No charges on our side, he got nothing as we didn't press charges on what could've been classed as assault, and we got out at five. :wink: People like that, we get a lot of. They don't go as all out as he did, but MY GOD some people are ****ers of the highest goddamn caliber. :rolleyes:

/rant. :redface:
Original post by DH-Biker
I work in a bike shop, and last Summer we had a rather funny event:

Was mid-day, was absolutely searing heat and everyone at the shop just wanted to finish so we could go riding. We weren't in the best of moods, but being 'good-salesmen' we kept our game-faces on till about ten minuets before finishing-time.

So, ten to four, some guy comes in. Naturally, we were a bit ':frown:' but I went over to see if he had any help. I asked him and he turned around and said to me, "Excuse me, I know more then you do about bikes, I don't need help..." - So, me on the back-foot nodded, said "fair-enough" and walked back to the counter. We'd have been happier with him in at this point if he'd been a nice bloke. But seen as he was a complete *******, we were naturally pissed-to-**** off by this point.

He walked around the shop floor probably the neck end of twenty times? Looking at exactly the same things on his way around. By this point, it was twenty-past-four, and we've stayed open later to help customers who are buying a bike or buying kit, but seen as this guy seemed set on just looking, we sent Matty out to tell him that he needed to leave as we were closing up.
He walks over, asks him nicely to leave and he shouts back at him, "Look, I'm a customer, and I'm browsing your items! I'm well within my right to do so (which, of course he is), so just back off and leave me alone!" - He does have the right to look around, but he doesn't have the right to be a jackass.

Eventually, the Manager walks over, and being a no-****-straight-to-the-point guy, (and being about a foot taller and broader then the gentlemen in the shop), says, "That's it, either buy something, or leave!" - So the guy picks up a rear-hub, walks over to the desk, and is about to buy it when (by shop-rules) I have to ask what bike he's buying it for. He said a road-bike, so I said, "This isn't the right hub for that, this wont even work on a road-bike".

This absolutely sends him over the edge. He picks up the box, smashes it down on our glass-counter (we have a display of upper-range items in there), cracks the glass, throws the box at Ryan, tips over a stand and screams at us all saying, "This is the worst shop I've ever been in! You're rude, you're demanding, you're plain and simple the worst salesmen ever!" - Which we thought was a bit rude, seen as we'd asked him kindly if we could help and he ripped down two floor-salesmen. At this point, the Manager grabs him, drags him too the door, throws him outside and locks it. The guy phones the Police, they arrive and after two minuets of hearing what we have to say and how he was abusive to us, the Police arrest him.

No charges on our side, he got nothing as we didn't press charges on what could've been classed as assault, and we got out at five. :wink: People like that, we get a lot of. They don't go as all out as he did, but MY GOD some people are ****ers of the highest goddamn caliber. :rolleyes:

/rant. :redface:

Unrelated to the majority of the content of your post, but I've been wishing it was summer so I could get back on my bike, and you just amplified the feeling by about 40x. Thanks mate. :P

Original post by Teao the Cat
Was she American? My stepmother is of this attitude... I never know what to call female customers as the eqivelent of 'Sir'.

To be honest I don't know, you'd have to ask my brother, but he doesn't go on TSR :colondollar:
Original post by fwed1
I was talking about annoying customers on my break today, discussing the usual annoyances and one of my friends was telling me about how some guy had to wait 3 mins for his big tasty to cook and said "I thought this was supposed to be FAST food". I laughed.

I then went downstairs and my first customer asked for a plain cheeseburger I told him it would be 2 minutes to which he snorted to his wife "I thought this was supposed to be FAST food". I almost burst out laughing and had to turn around so he didn't see my massive grin.
Also it would be faster if you didn't want us to make you something not on the menu!!

That's what makes McDonalds

I used to work in a chip shop and our burgers were always made fresh as not many people ordered them. When someone would order one I would tell them it'd be about 5 minutes and was it okay to wait before ordered them in the back.
The amount of people who were like 'where's my burger? why aren't you doing the rest of my order?' etc etc.

Arghhh.
Original post by clo-clo1
I used to work in a chip shop and our burgers were always made fresh as not many people ordered them. When someone would order one I would tell them it'd be about 5 minutes and was it okay to wait before ordered them in the back.
The amount of people who were like 'where's my burger? why aren't you doing the rest of my order?' etc etc.

Arghhh.

I know the feeling, I've worked in a chip shop for the last 5 years on and off. Another one that annoys me is when people phone to place an order at a busy time (usually Friday night) and when I ask them if 20 -30 mins is alright they say 'well they're on their way now.' I swear people think we have 3 pairs of arms!
Reply 990
Original post by kirsty142
I know the feeling, I've worked in a chip shop for the last 5 years on and off. Another one that annoys me is when people phone to place an order at a busy time (usually Friday night) and when I ask them if 20 -30 mins is alright they say 'well they're on their way now.' I swear people think we have 3 pairs of arms!

You just reminded me of my frustration working a friday and saturday night at a chip shop :tongue:

People would phone in with an order for pizzas and I'd tell them how long it'd be. They'd turn up ten minutes later to collect it just as I'm putting into into the oven :mad:
Reply 991
Irrationally the thing I hated the most was when people would be getting tons of shopping and then go
'I only came in for bread and milk hehe' because it happened three of four times a day.

Plus a woman bought a big thing of meat which had a split packet, I got blood all over my hands and apologised to her for the packet splitting and she replied 'I knew it was split but it was the last one'... she couldn't have told me that before blood got all over the conveyor belt and my hands?
Plus I wasn't allowed to go wash my hands because it was apparently too busy :/ mm health and safety.
alongside delivering pizzas, i also teach Jewish 8 year old, i do thin in central london, so lots of them are spoilt Americans. now do you think that your customer who is complain about chips taking a min is worse then 15 8 year olds....

Spoiler

Original post by snowyowl
Hi-float's a gel we use when we inflate latex balloon to make them last longer. They last for days instead of hours :biggrin:

Our balloons last for the best part of a week and I've never put gel on them :s-smilie:
I served this weird oddjob bloke this morning.
This bloke came to the till. He was a right strange looking bloke. I was the only one on front counter doing window 3 and tills (it was just before the other girl started work at 8) and i was just finishing off the order on drive thru. So i said to him that i was just finishing another order and would be with him in a second. So he then proceeds to try and order a coffee (and mumbled something about it being stirred). Bearing in mind that i was at the fry station doing hash browns for this other order at that point and was no way in a position to take his order. So i went over and put his coffee through the till anyway and put the coffee under the machine, then handed this other order out at the window while i was waiting for his coffee. Anyway, when i was serving him, he asked if we do free refills. I said that we didnt (which we dont). The then said that we did. I have no idea where he got this from, we never have done- neither does any other mcdonalds. I said that we didnt do free refills. He then said "all mcdonalds do free refills". I didnt say anything then (i didnt want to argue- he seemed like some right weirdo who could kick up a fuss), but i was thinking "errr no we dont".
He finally sat down then. And was joined by some others who were all wearing pj's. I was fully expecting him to come and try and get a free refill for his coffee though. I was surprised (and relieved) when he didnt.
Reply 995
Original post by Emma:-)

Original post by Emma:-)
I served this weird oddjob bloke this morning.
This bloke came to the till. He was a right strange looking bloke. I was the only one on front counter doing window 3 and tills (it was just before the other girl started work at 8) and i was just finishing off the order on drive thru. So i said to him that i was just finishing another order and would be with him in a second. So he then proceeds to try and order a coffee (and mumbled something about it being stirred). Bearing in mind that i was at the fry station doing hash browns for this other order at that point and was no way in a position to take his order. So i went over and put his coffee through the till anyway and put the coffee under the machine, then handed this other order out at the window while i was waiting for his coffee. Anyway, when i was serving him, he asked if we do free refills. I said that we didnt (which we dont). The then said that we did. I have no idea where he got this from, we never have done- neither does any other mcdonalds. I said that we didnt do free refills. He then said "all mcdonalds do free refills". I didnt say anything then (i didnt want to argue- he seemed like some right weirdo who could kick up a fuss), but i was thinking "errr no we dont".
He finally sat down then. And was joined by some others who were all wearing pj's. I was fully expecting him to come and try and get a free refill for his coffee though. I was surprised (and relieved) when he didnt.

McDonalds used to do free refills
Reply 996
Had a few people today arguing with me what time mcdonalds finish breakfast. I would tell them that we finish at 10:30 and they would argue saying it is definitely 11. "I looked online" "Are you sure" "I know you stop at 11" "Other stores do it until 11" it was getting on my nerves! Especially as someone was telling me this at half past 11 so he would have been too late anyway!
Original post by Gallabay

I know exactly how you feel about this! Us Saturday staff would get told off for chatting behind the tills when there were no customers, and we'd be told to go pull forward or something. The weekday staff have to do nothing like that, they just stand around. It's bloody annoying, because we get paid the same amount per hour as weekday staff, but we do so much more work. And they don't have to put out delivery as well, which is the bit I hate the most - destroys your back, legs and nails :P
Reply 998
Original post by SoapyDish
I know exactly how you feel about this! Us Saturday staff would get told off for chatting behind the tills when there were no customers, and we'd be told to go pull forward or something. The weekday staff have to do nothing like that, they just stand around. It's bloody annoying, because we get paid the same amount per hour as weekday staff, but we do so much more work. And they don't have to put out delivery as well, which is the bit I hate the most - destroys your back, legs and nails :P

It's an entirely different situation where I work. It's the full time staff that do all the work, running a department, putting out the delivery, tidying the store, and covering the tills because we're always so short staffed. The part time staff can usually be found in a group chatting at the fitting rooms, or hiding in the stockroom, or leaving 10 minutes before their shift finishes.
The full timers have so much more responsibility, and we get nothing extra for it.
not an annoying customer but definitely a weird one was a lady who bought a trolley full of ice and a knife. Nothing else. I'm not sure if it was my imagination, but I think she also had like some bruising on her hand (but I can't remember properly). I kept expecting to see her on the news or something!

Maybe I've been watching too many crime/detective dramas but she did freak me out a little!

Latest

Trending

Trending