The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanD
Later on in the day at another till a school child in full unhidden school uniform tried to pass of as over 18 to buy alcohol.

I've bought booze in my school uniform before - admittedly I was 18 and had my ID, and worked at the Tesco I bought it at, but you can still be 18 and have a school uniform...
Original post by FluffyLion
I've bought booze in my school uniform before - admittedly I was 18 and had my ID, and worked at the Tesco I bought it at, but you can still be 18 and have a school uniform...

More likely than not you wouldn't be though :p:
Original post by getinthevan
More likely than not you wouldn't be though :p:

Oh yeah I know :tongue: I just didn't want people thinking that everyone in school uniform is under 18... :redface:

Your school made you wear uniform in sixth form?
Reply 1384
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
I used to work there too - every now and then we'd get someone shoplift, or attempt to :wink: There was one guy came in that we always kept an eye on like a hawk, because although I don't think I ever actually caught him red-handed, he always acted in such an incredibly suspicious manner. (Trying to turn his back on all the counters, spreading his coat out, glancing up at us all the time to see if we were looking at him... which I always was, as soon as I saw him come in the shop.) My manager caught a schoolgirl redhanded trying to walk out with a drink in her coat pocket without having paid for it, made her give it back and then banned her. Once I saw two chavs walk in, pick up two sandwiches and walk out again as calm as you like - I rushed to the door, they were obviously surprised at me being so quick and ran for it, I shouted after them that they were banned, and I never saw them again. Oh, and a couple of times me and another woman ran out of the shop and chased shoplifters down the road, but they managed to lose us round corners.

I have a manager that has no problem tackling people to the ground. Even if they haven't stolen from our shop.
We have this radio system thing and this shop said a description of a person and he went running past the shop. The manager ran out of the shop and just took him out. Funniest thing I've ever seen...
Reply 1385
I work at Topshop which is all around a pretty decent place to work, apart from the gaggles of teenage girls who fail to understand the concept of "one person per changing room" and "please take the clothes OUT again after you've tried it, instead of throwing it on the floor". And the ones that drink and spill crappy frappucinos in the changing rooms/on the shop floor/on the clothes.

Oh, and the ones whose foundation smear on the clothes while trying it and then just hang it back, gross.
Original post by Jace Falco
Your school made you wear uniform in sixth form?

Yeah... Wasn't too bad tbh, was just a black suit with the school tie, but yeah.

Unlucky, I stopped wearing uniform at 16. Plus a June birthday means I'd not be 18 and at school really anyway, unless exams hadn't finished.

On the subject before of different McDonalds having different rules, everytime I get a meal with a free student cheeseburger with friends, sometimes the staff takes the uni card, other times they need to see the NUS extra card with expiry date, or won't allow it. Or even if the staff are standing next to each other, one accepts the uni card without expiry date, and their colleage needs the NUS extra card, with an expiry date.
Reply 1388
Original post by affinity89
That sounds pretty reasonable lol. :smile:
My friends and I paid £5.40 a pint for strawberry beer last night. It is so worth it. :biggrin:

Not that I'm stalking but was it by any chance the white cross?

(they tend to be most expensive in lancs)
Original post by 22KT22
Not that I'm stalking but was it by any chance the white cross?

(they tend to be most expensive in lancs)

I've not been there. :smile:
It was Odder in Manchester. I love the place but it is expensive. :smile:
Reply 1390
Original post by affinity89
I've not been there. :smile:
It was Odder in Manchester. I love the place but it is expensive. :smile:

Ah... just because I know white cross does ales and compared to the likes of yates is more expensive.
Original post by Crazy Paving

On the subject before of different McDonalds having different rules, everytime I get a meal with a free student cheeseburger with friends, sometimes the staff takes the uni card, other times they need to see the NUS extra card with expiry date, or won't allow it. Or even if the staff are standing next to each other, one accepts the uni card without expiry date, and their colleage needs the NUS extra card, with an expiry date.

They take their uni card? WTF?! I haven't done that. I ask for expiry date/and or their academic year, like on some it will have 2010/2011, then I will accept that. I didn't used to ask for it, but I got told off for not checking properly and had to look :P
Original post by bananafuntime

Original post by bananafuntime
They take their uni card? WTF?! I haven't done that. I ask for expiry date/and or their academic year, like on some it will have 2010/2011, then I will accept that. I didn't used to ask for it, but I got told off for not checking properly and had to look :P

Yeah, well we have the same uni card for the time we are there, and there's no dates on it or anything, so my friends who don't have NUS extra were screwed if they got the girl who served me.
I work on Mcdonalds too and when i'm on lobby you always get guys who think it's funny to call you over every two seconds to tell you their food hasn't been bought over, which is really annoying. They seem to find it hilarious though - simple pleasures simple minds?

Also I hate the customers who purposefully make their tables messy as they know they wont be cleaning it up, or the perverts, you get a lot of old men chatting you up.:frown:
Reply 1394
Original post by Crazy Paving
Yeah, well we have the same uni card for the time we are there, and there's no dates on it or anything, so my friends who don't have NUS extra were screwed if they got the girl who served me.

It's probably due to a lack of information. One offer requires you to present an NUS Extra card whilst the other only needs a student ID - see here

Personally I only give the card a quick glance, I've never been told anything regarding the student offer so as long as I see they have a student card then I assume they're good to go.

To be fair we don't really get told much at work. Most of what I know about my job I've had to find out for myself. :rolleyes:
Reply 1395
Original post by Stacks
It's probably due to a lack of information. One offer requires you to present an NUS Extra card whilst the other only needs a student ID - see here

Personally I only give the card a quick glance, I've never been told anything regarding the student offer so as long as I see they have a student card then I assume they're good to go.

To be fair we don't really get told much at work. Most of what I know about my job I've had to find out for myself. :rolleyes:

Most people at my store don't know this, I only realised a month ago when they put a poster up in the crew room.
i work in a call centre, its horrific the amount of idiots who call up, my boilers broken - have you switched it on? oh no sorry bye, or how its my personal fault that youve drilled through a powercable and your house is in the dark now means you cant see your tacky council house furniture at least, people call up bang on about there problem for 10 minutes then say when can i have someone out? well your name and address would be handy first thanks, people who argue when they get the wrong number, people who think i have a magic wand to summon carers or technicans to there every non emergency whim, i once had a woman complain for 20 minutes about how she needed an engineer out that very minute because her sky wasnt working, at 4am on a sunday.
Had a women in this morning banging on about our discretionary returns policy being "illegal" and going on and on about the law. Feck me, I'm up to my eyes in consumer law and this women is trying to bluff her way to a refund. Bite my banger.
Original post by Stacks

Same. when I first started, I had to ask the person next to me or guess when doing stuff.
Original post by alex5455
i work in a call centre, its horrific the amount of idiots who call up, my boilers broken - have you switched it on? oh no sorry bye, or how its my personal fault that youve drilled through a powercable and your house is in the dark now means you cant see your tacky council house furniture at least, people call up bang on about there problem for 10 minutes then say when can i have someone out? well your name and address would be handy first thanks, people who argue when they get the wrong number, people who think i have a magic wand to summon carers or technicans to there every non emergency whim, i once had a woman complain for 20 minutes about how she needed an engineer out that very minute because her sky wasnt working, at 4am on a sunday.

Working in a call centre is the worst!!
The fact a women wanted an engineer at 4am is a bit strange, maybe she was hoping for some male company and it wasn't the sky box that needed seeing to :biggrin:.
I used to work in admin on a saturday for a blinds company, and you would get some right ******** callers. gave me phone phobia working there!

Latest

Trending

Trending