The Student Room Group

For anybody working in a supermarket: missing work?

I missed work for the first time at Tesco and I'm relatively new there. What do I have to show them when I get back: doctor's note etc? Cause I'm not really *that* ill. :redface: I rung them up and told them I'll be in tomorrow and they said I have to have a return to work interview? What does that mean?
Reply 1
mxox
I missed work for the first time at Tesco and I'm relatively new there. What do I have to show them when I get back: doctor's note etc? Cause I'm not really *that* ill. :redface: I rung them up and told them I'll be in tomorrow and they said I have to have a return to work interview? What does that mean?

I am not sure as I never been away. Did you inform them before you were away, you didn't just not ring in after you were better? I believe that they're be wanting to know why you took time off work without a doctors note but if you are new I suspect they will be understanding as you not familar with the rules, I wouldn't worry about it. However they will notice if you make a habit of it and will do something about it.

What department you work on?
Reply 2
a return to work just means u have to say why u were ill and thats it, its not a big deal AT all!! its just a formal thing they have to do. u only give a doctors note if u are away for more than a week. its fine, dont worry about it, i have them all the time..oops!
Reply 3
at my place you have to call the day you are sick (in the morning) so they got time to find a replacement. if you don't call they can call you and wonder where you are. did you let them know in some way or didn't you just show up? it depends on the supermarket but if it only happens once and you do an excellent job otherwise it shouldn't be a problem.
Dont worry if its not a common thing they wont rele care. Just apologise and brownnose the supoervisors. If you missed one day i dont think that a doctors note is needed, but then you cant take my word, i work at saf.....morrissons.

Return to work interview? Just formaity, just tell em you were ill, stayed in all day, mother stayed to look after ya (pathetic but it works) and you took a ocuple of paracetamol. Sorted
If you were off 4 less than a week, then no note is needed. Indeed the BMA advises that Drs charge for notes for absense less than this time.
The government states that you can 'self-certifey' for this period, so they ahve to acceept this.

Any probs, as your union rep ( I assume you are unionised)
Reply 6
Thanks guys for all the responses! My supervisors are quite laid back and hopefully it'll go as you say and there won't be a problem :smile: I guess I just feel guilty cause I'm not really sick :redface:
Reply 7
As your a girl just say you had problems with da pill you were on say it made u sick and gave you stomach cramps. I've used it b4 and as its kinda a personal isue they dnt go into gr8 detail!!
Reply 8
i work at sainsburys and ur not allowed 2 b ill for more than 4 times in a year haha
sainsburys are a totalitarian capitalist company.
Reply 10
in english?
Reply 11
Whenever I've ever taken any time off 'sick' when I wasn't really, I just claimed period pains at my RTW interview. Everyone takes days off sick, it's no big deal.
Reply 12
Lol I've just realised that I haven't taken a single day off sick in two years :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending