University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Accomodation: Getting to campus

Poll

How long to get to campus?

Hi
I'm a possible 2010 entrant

I was wondering what accomodation is like after 1st year - cause i hear you have to get private accomodation 2nd year and above

Also how far away people live away from campus when they are in private accomodation ... so basically, how you get to campus for lectures and how long it takes

and also whicha are the popular student areas

thank you - i'm trying to sort out my preference of the different unis i will be applying to.

I havent asked about halls cause i went on a Headstart course in june/july. WE stayed at Ramsay Hall, the london bit, i was in room 419 :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lil' Flo
Hi

I was wondering what accomodation is like after 1st year - cause i hear you have to get private accomodation 2nd year and above

Also how far away people live away from campus when they are in private accomodation ... so basically, how you get to campus for lectures and how long it takes

thank you - i'm trying to sort out my preference of the different unis i will be applying to.

I havent asked about halls cause i went on a Headstart course in june/july. WE stayed at Ramsay Hall, the london bit, i was in room 419 :smile:

The sort of area and the type of accommodation you go into after your first year is pretty much dependant on your budget. Most people I know, including myself share a house/flat with 3/4 other friends. A lot of UCL students live in the Camden, Islington and Holloway areas. You need not live far away from UCL in your final years, for example I lived about the same distance from UCL in my 2nd year as I did in my first year. My flat in 2nd year was by the British Library/St Pancras and my house in the 3rd year is in Camden Town. I have a fairly modest budget.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
I live just north of Camden. It takes about 20 mins on the bus or if I'm in a massive hurry 10 mins on the tube. Although it is more studenty Camden is also more touristy and therefore more expensive (apart from in Sainsbury's, I'm fairly sure they have uniform prices) than Islington.
Reply 3
Lil' Flo
Hi

Any body else?
..please?!
Reply 4
ok, from what I know of first year students, those living in Ramsey Hall, Schafer Hall, Astor College Hall took 3 or 4 minutes maximum to get to campus. Then you have houses on Gower Street itself, which are flats holding 10 or so students each I think. And since UCL is on Gower Street, you wake up and you're literally there. But halls are more fun.

Then you have Camden, which has Ifor Evans Hall and Max Rayne Hall. You can walk it, probably take 30 mins, or bus it, 10-15 mins. Accom is cheaper here, but it takes longer to get to campus. I don't use campus for UCL, because it's not really a campus uni. The uni is right in the middle of London with so many shops and restaurants. I would suggest you apply to Ramsey/Schafer or Astor if you want a fun first year.
Reply 5
bobbington
ok, from what I know of first year students, those living in Ramsey Hall, Schafer Hall, Astor College Hall took 3 or 4 minutes maximum to get to campus. Then you have houses on Gower Street itself, which are flats holding 10 or so students each I think. And since UCL is on Gower Street, you wake up and you're literally there. But halls are more fun.

Then you have Camden, which has Ifor Evans Hall and Max Rayne Hall. You can walk it, probably take 30 mins, or bus it, 10-15 mins. Accom is cheaper here, but it takes longer to get to campus. I don't use campus for UCL, because it's not really a campus uni. The uni is right in the middle of London with so many shops and restaurants. I would suggest you apply to Ramsey/Schafer or Astor if you want a fun first year.

oh yeah provided i get an offer
i'm going try and pull out all the stops to ensure i get astor college
they've got fridges in each room!!!:yes:
...amongst other reasons
Reply 6
If you're staying in the newest hall, Goldsmid House (very nice self catering, all rooms ensuite, built 2008), this is in Victoria and you should allow at least 30 minutes to get to your lecture by walking and tube combined. Victoria to Warren Street or Euston on the tube takes no more than 10 minutes, but you then need to walk.
Lil' Flo
Hi

I'm gonna be a 2nd year in september, my flat is 10 mins walk from UCL, sharing with 3 other people, it's quite small but cheap for the location! Most people I know are going to be living 30 mins away bus/tube journey really in camden or islington!
Reply 8
Just got a flat between Camden Town & Mornington Crescent on the High Street. It's about 15 mins walk to UCL and costs us £330 per week between 3. For the first year I would definitely go for one of the close ones, i.e. Ramsey, Astor, Schafer, Campbell House etc..
Reply 9
Bump
Reply 10
Lil' Flo
Bump

I'm going into my second year. I'm going to be living in private halls in Tufnell park, which is about 20 mins bus to gower street
Reply 11
is it worth living in Zone 3 if your accomodation is cheap
or maybe zone 4

OR people would rather pay higher rent and live in zone 2/1
Reply 12
live as close as possible if you're going to live in accomodation because the tube/bus fares will cost a bit anyway if you live in zone 4 and it takes a bit of time. Just live near UCl.
Reply 13
Lived in Crouch End (north of Finsbury Park), took me 45 mins to get to uni, moving to Hampstead now, takes 30mins on a direct 24hr bus to UCL (15mins on the tube).
Living within zone 2 is usually ok, it's a bit slower but cheaper if you can take a bus, also, make sure there's a night bus that goes reasonably close to your flat - speaking from experience, a 20 min walk in the middle of the night in some places in London isn't really what you want after a night out.
I'm going into my second year this september, living in private halls on Great Portland Street (so approx 15 mins walk from my department)
=)
Reply 15
Will be living up in Wood Green area next year. It's zone three and about 20-25 minutes on the tube into Euston. It's in N8 so not to bad, although the street next door is N22 which sounds horrific.
Reply 16
I'll be living nearer UCL than whilst I was in halls :smile: But, not by too much. Still in WC1 though, the postcode named after a toilet.

I think it depends on personal taste, budget and luck on where you live after the first year. Generally, the nearer the centre the more expensive it is for less space (often, lounges have been converted into a bedroom so you get no communal space other than the kitchen). Further out, you get more for your money. But then you have to factor in travelling times and the cost of TfL. Some people don't mind living a bit further out and having to travel. Personally, I like to walk everywhere, so I don't mind having a little less space, but a more central location.
Reply 17
Mumintroll
I'll be living nearer UCL than whilst I was in halls :smile: But, not by too much. Still in WC1 though, the postcode named after a toilet.

If that's not too intrusive- how big is the flat and what's the rent? We didn't manage to find anything for 4 ppl that was closer to UCL than Camden. Even if the flats were advertised for 3-4 ppl, they were really tiny (we'd need to share a room and that was out of the question) and really expensive too.
Reply 18
pure_joy
If that's not too intrusive- how big is the flat and what's the rent? We didn't manage to find anything for 4 ppl that was closer to UCL than Camden. Even if the flats were advertised for 3-4 ppl, they were really tiny (we'd need to share a room and that was out of the question) and really expensive too.

Nah, it's no problem. 120 GBP per person per week (there are 3 of us). So, it's not cheap... but not dreadful for the location. We also managed to negotiate a 10 month contract instead of 12. It's in pretty good shape which helps and the landlord's going to redecorate it during August and put in new desks, lamps etc too, which is a bonus. I don't know how big it is as estate agents here never seem to quote the square meterage in adverts, which I find weird. But, it's three bedrooms (one of which was the living room in the past), two of which are really big and one of which is smaller, but still a good size with comfortable room for everything. One of the larger bedrooms has an en suite shower room. There is a reasonable sized bathroom. The kitchen is not huge, but it has room for a small breakfast bar and it looked quite recently renovated. Still, it wouldn't really fit a dinner party in it.

We found that it was reasonably hard to find even places for 3 people in the very, very centre. So, I'd guess 4 is even more of a challenge. I think 3 is probably the best number if you want to live in Kings Cross/Bloomsbury... i.e. very close. Probably have to go a little further out to find any volume of 4-people sized places. Good luck searching!
Reply 19
120 is really not bad for the location, lucky find! And a 10 month contract is always a bonus, especially if it's your last year.
Finding a flat for 4 around Bloomsbury was impossible last year, we lived quite far out and I really fancy something closer to uni now.

Latest

Trending

Trending