The Student Room Group

Non religious people, why do you get married?

Just wondering.
When I religious, I wanted to get married because I felt that at the ceremony, god blessed our marriage and that after it, I was then free to consummate it.
But I don't really see the appeal of it after becoming atheist.
Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I just see it as a symbolic 'stamp' of my romantic and undying love and commitment to a person whom I wish to spend the rest of my life with...
Reply 2
To make my parents proud grand parents

Tax Benefits

Get to fart on her

Can walk around the house in her heels and dress and pretend to be a lady

That's it really

Can teach the kids to call her witch lady

Can make sexual innuendo in front of the kids to piss her off

Can make her breakfast in bed when she's ill

Can poke her butt with my dick while spooning

Can tell her she looks hot when she actually looks fat

Can flirt with her sister

Can bang the secretary

Can get caught cheating and have her cut my clothes with a knife

Can have a messy divorce where I call her at three in the morning telling her I love her

Can get over her after two years of depression, having lots of meaningless sex and getting fat

Can meet up five years later talking about how happy we both are, but secretly we just wanna bang, we bang

Die

I'd be a great husband
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Marriage is not historically religious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think jeejay's pretty much got this covered.
Reply 5
For atheist women the answer is simple. They will be able to abscond with half their husbands estate.

As for men well in todays 'equal' society one must do whatever pleases the women.
Reply 6
for the security, I'm assuming. If you're married, people are far more likely to go to marriage counselling and work hard to work out problems, whereas if you're only in a relationship, it's easier to walk away.

Marriage is also, basically, betting half your stuff that you'll love someone forever. I don't like those odds. :tongue:
Reply 7
So you can cheat
Reply 8
Original post by Ornlu
I just see it as a symbolic 'stamp' of my romantic and undying love and commitment to a person whom I wish to spend the rest of my life with...

pretty much this
Original post by RtGOAT
For atheist women the answer is simple. They will be able to abscond with half their husbands estate.

As for men well in todays 'equal' society one must do whatever pleases the women.

How many lemons did you suck before writing this very bitter response?
Original post by Hart1995
Marriage is not historically religious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes it is, or rather its bound to the idea of chastity which is pretty much religion in the west. In the vast majority of cultures pre marital sex is frowned upon for a future wife, and thats marriage. if there is nothing wrong with pre marital sex and relationships, whats the point, (in many cultures relationships between a modern bf and gf would be considered marriage, so again whats the point mock christian ceremony)

in answer to OP, they have no reason, they are just sticking to society's norms.

even more pertinently, why the hell would gays want to get married? just because the fact they cant implies their relationships are inferior, only reason (which of course they are)
Original post by RtGOAT

Not in my case, honey. I'm gettin' me a pre-nup. Don't want no scrubs.
Reply 12
It's a secure way to cement your relationship. It's very concrete and cements your relationship, really.
Reply 13
Technically 'official' commitment.
I never thought it was a crime to get married :beard:
Original post by jeejay
I'd be a great husband

amen to that lol
Reply 16
It's a gesture of your ultimate sincerity towards each other. There are tax benefits and so on, but really, people get married because they love each other and it's a statement of that fact. It says that you can't imagine your life with anyone else.
Not really sure what marriage has to do with religion given that marriage certainly predates the major religions.

I want to get married to show my intended life-long commitment to my partner. Plus a honeymoon.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Not in my case, honey. I'm gettin' me a pre-nup. Don't want no scrubs.

If you ain't no punk, holla 'we want pre-nup!'
We want pre-nup, yeah!
Reply 19
Can't get her or my kids a residence permit otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending