The Student Room Logo

Top 15 universities

Is UK university education getting even more competitive? Just when you thought that getting into a Russell Group or Red Brick university was the zenith of UK university education along comes the idea proposed by professional services, management consultancies, and investment banking organisations that that they the target the top 12-15 universities.

Top 15 universities are: Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Manchester, Warwick, St Andrews, Bath, Leeds, Birmingham, and Glasgow.

Read this - https://medium.com/@laurayoungson/is-experience-of-life-more-important-than-a-degree-in-a-successful-career-667b32256db9
(edited 4 days ago)
Original post by Kinga88
Is UK university education getting even competitive? Just when you thought that getting into a Russell Group or Red Brick university was the zenith of UK university education along comes the idea proposed by professional services, management consultancies, and investment banking that that they the target the top 12-15 universities.

Top 15 universities are: Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Manchester, Warwick, St Andrews, Bath, Leeds, Birmingham, and Glasgow.

Some of us have never thought that.
It highly depends on the subject. For some subjects, you are better off going to none of these unis.
I'm sure the marketing teams at RG unis will be pleased about the 'zenith' line.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
I'm sure the marketing teams at RG unis will be pleased about the 'zenith' line.

I will suggest it in my gaff later.
Original post by Kinga88
Is UK university education getting even more competitive? Just when you thought that getting into a Russell Group or Red Brick university was the zenith of UK university education along comes the idea proposed by professional services, management consultancies, and investment banking organisations that that they the target the top 12-15 universities.

Replace Leeds & Glasgow with KCL & Nottingham.
(edited 1 week ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Kinga88

What is the criteria.

You do know the Russel Group universities were formed when "some" Vice Chancellors happened to meet up in a bar in Russel Square one jolly Saturday afternoon? Having dabbled with higher education in Manchester I really don't rate Manchester University at all. When you go to open days, the only thing they seem to be able to say about themselves is 1824 to say nothing of quality of teaching, pastoral and extras.
Every few months one of these threads comes round and I feel my braincells dying as I read it.

Are these the top 10-15 universities for nursing? Are they the top 10-15 universities for games programming? Top 10-15 for Korean?

Obviously not.
Reply 8
Original post by Kinga88

The key difference is that top 15 are always learning and are less likely to be complacent. The lower ranked the university then the worse the work ethic of students is perceived to be. That is why some universities just dont rate.

Quick Reply