The Student Room Group

Why are strange particles always created in pairs?

So the AQA A-level physics spec says
"Understand why strange particles are created in pairs"

But my book doesnt really do a good job explaining this and all I could find was
"The conservation of strangeness means that strange particles can only be created in pairs"

Could anyone help understand why exactly this means that they can only be created in pairs? And what 'created in pairs' actually means?

Thanks
Original post by GarlicBread01

But my book doesnt really do a good job explaining this and all I could find was
"The conservation of strangeness means that strange particles can only be created in pairs"

Could anyone help understand why exactly this means that they can only be created in pairs? And what 'created in pairs' actually means?

Thanks

Does this article help?

Thanks
Find the answer and a Nobel Prize awaits you.

It's rather like asking why does the universe exist or why do atoms exist?

All we know is that it's a consequence of our observed universe which requires laws of conservation and symmetry to maintain the status quo. That includes equal and opposite particles.

Without symmetry the laws of physics as we know them and hence the the universe in which we live cannot hold true.

Text books fudge this issue because it's the only answer (however unsatisfactory) we have.
It's not just specifically strange particles which are created in pairs, but rather the genesis of an elementary particle is accompanied by its correspondent antiparticle in order that all quantum numbers are conserved (i.e. energy and momentum is conserved, and also the charge, lepton number, strangeness etc. sum to zero).

Is this question part of a question discussing strange particles in particular? I'm not sure why it would bother specifying otherwise...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gregorius
Does this article help?

Okay, I'm not sure if everything is required knowledge for my exams, but from what I understood is that in reactions, S=0 on side so the other must also add up to 0. But the only way to do that is to have 'pairs' of strange particles of the other i.e one that has S=+1 and another S=-1. You cannot produce only 1 strange particle or 3 strange particles as that combination wouldn't add up to 0?

Thanks for the help!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5

Thanks

Strangeness before must be equal to strangeness after. So, if a particle of strangeness +1 appeared out of nowhere, a particle of strangeness -1 must appear as well, to make the strangeness before equal to the strangeness after: Before = 0, after = +1 + (-1) = 0
IMO you're required to *Know that* strange particles are created in pairs, not *Understand why*
Reply 7
Original post by Joinedup
IMO you're required to *Know that* strange particles are created in pairs, not *Understand why*

Thanks

Big, red and bold
Original post by Kyx
Big, red and bold

Where, prey tell, in the actual AQA spec does it say

thanks.
Reply 9
Where, prey tell, in the actual AQA spec does it say

thanks.

It doesn't, I was quoting the OP.
Original post by Kyx
It doesn't, I was quoting the OP.

So actually he's required to *know that* strange particles are created in pairs then rather than *understand why* then?
Reply 11
So actually he's required to *know that* strange particles are created in pairs then rather than *understand why* then?

Yes. I read the spec.

It says that you should be able to use 'conservation of strangeness'. If you know that, that's all you need.
Original post by Kyx
Strangeness before must be equal to strangeness after. So, if a particle of strangeness +1 appeared out of nowhere, a particle of strangeness -1 must appear as well, to make the strangeness before equal to the strangeness after: Before = 0, after = +1 + (-1) = 0

Yep, that makes sense now. Thanks!
Reply 13
Yep, that makes sense now. Thanks!

YW

Quick Reply

Latest