The Student Room Group

Worried about my GCSE's which are in 2023 and 2024

Hi, So I'm in year 9 current and my school starts GCSE earlier than other schools as they start in yr 10 and do options in yr 9 but I did options in yr 8, So I am really worried because even though I call myself a year 9 right now, I only have 2 months left of yr 9 and then I'll be a yr 10

I have predicted grades of all A's (grade 7) in my GCSE but I am aiming to get A* OR A**'S (grade 9 and 8) in y GCSEs

I have chosen these options for my GCSE:

Health and Social
French
RE
Business

If ANYONE has got high grades in these subjects plus help mee, pls can you give me some tip on how you got a high grade in these subjects, Even if you didn't do exactly all of these subjects and only did one pls can you give me some tips on how to get high grades on it.

Also if anyone did triple/double science and got grade of 9/8 plss I need help pls give some tips

If anyone got high grades in English lit and language pls do share what you got and some tips on how to get those grades

Lastly, if anyone got into a really good uni / sixth form pls do tell me which one and how and what grades you got and if you got into a good uni pls do tell me what a-levels you did and the grades you got in them

If anyone got into medicine for uni,plus tell what uni you studied at and what you got on your a-levels

Thanks, I AM EXTREMELY WORRIED ABOUT MY GCSE'S and would LOVE some tips

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cupquake
Hi, So I'm in year 9 current and my school starts GCSE earlier than other schools as they start in yr 10 and do options in yr 9 but I did options in yr 8, So I am really worried because even though I call myself a year 9 right now, I only have 2 months left of yr 9 and then I'll be a yr 10

I have predicted grades of all A's (grade 7) in my GCSE but I am aiming to get A* OR A**'S (grade 9 and 8) in y GCSEs

Health and Social
French
RE
Business

If ANYONE has got high grades in these subjects plus help mee, pls can you give me some tip on how you got a high grade in these subjects, Even if you didn't do exactly all of these subjects and only did one pls can you give me some tips on how to get high grades on it.

Also if anyone did triple/double science and got grade of 9/8 plss I need help pls give some tips

If anyone got high grades in English lit and language pls do share what you got and some tips on how to get those grades

Lastly, if anyone got into a really good uni / sixth form pls do tell me which one and how and what grades you got and if you got into a good uni pls do tell me what a-levels you did and the grades you got in them

If anyone got into medicine for uni,plus tell what uni you studied at and what you got on your a-levels

So do you take some GCSEs in Year 10 and others in Year 11?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
So do you take some GCSEs in Year 10 and others in Year 11?

yess,so Health and social is in yr 10 and the others are yr 11
That is very unusual ... most school do them in Year 11 as universties tend to prefer that.

Don't panic would be my advice - keep up to date with your work, ask your teachers when you get stuck and lots of people on here will help.

Mr Bruff is good for English and there are loads of good websites - even BBC Bitesize is good these days.
yess,so Health and social is in yr 10 and the others are yr 11

Health and Social
French
RE
Business

Ibr calm down. I started my gcses in yr 9 like u as well. I messed around yr 9 and yr 10 mostly and now im in yr 11 all of my gcse grades are hopefully gonna be 8s and 9s and german a 7 (germans the only subject im terrible at i beg i get a 7). If u have a rubbish subject like that focus on that trust me
Reply 5
That is very unusual ... most school do them in Year 11 as universties tend to prefer that.

Don't panic would be my advice - keep up to date with your work, ask your teachers when you get stuck and lots of people on here will help.

Mr Bruff is good for English and there are loads of good websites - even BBC Bitesize is good these days.

omg yess i LOVE mr bruff ,thanks for the advice, i was just worried cus i have no time to study at all
omg yess i LOVE mr bruff ,thanks for the advice, i was just worried cus i have no time to study at all

Why don't you have time to study?
Reply 7
Original post by zefter1234
Ibr calm down. I started my gcses in yr 9 like u as well. I messed around yr 9 and yr 10 mostly and now im in yr 11 all of my gcse grades are hopefully gonna be 8s and 9s and german a 7 (germans the only subject im terrible at i beg i get a 7). If u have a rubbish subject like that focus on that trust me

Thank you so much,i was just super worried
Reply 8
Why don't you have time to study?

My sch ends at 3:20 but i aslo do dofe (i don't know if you know what that is) dofe takes up 2 more hrs at sch and i get home at 5:30 sometimes 6 and then at 7-10 i have math tuition and after 10 i'm too tired to study

on the wknd i study for 6 hrs from 10-4 and then thtas the only time i have to studyy
3 hours a night of Maths tuition - cut that down that's far too much. One hour a week is more than enough.

Do you really need D of E? Some volunteering one day a week would be just as good.

You do need to re-evaluate your 'extra' stuff - you'll get more homework and need to keep on top of your work.

My sch ends at 3:20 but i aslo do dofe (i don't know if you know what that is) dofe takes up 2 more hrs at sch and i get home at 5:30 sometimes 6 and then at 7-10 i have math tuition and after 10 i'm too tired to study

on the wknd i study for 6 hrs from 10-4 and then thtas the only time i have to studyy
Reply 10
3 hours a night of Maths tuition - cut that down that's far too much. One hour a week is more than enough.

Do you really need D of E? Some volunteering one day a week would be just as good.

You do need to re-evaluate your 'extra' stuff - you'll get more homework and need to keep on top of your work.

sorry i meant 7-8 math tuition not 10,and d of E requires volunteering buut also it needs first aid/camping training too plus my d of e is finishing next month so it's not a hassle
Reply 11

Health and Social
French
RE
Business

pls can people reply to this
i take RE - buy a revision guide to study from and just memorise quotes, quotes in ur exam seem insignificant but trust be you can get loads more marks by referencing to quotes. the revision guide i have is called "Christianity and Islam Peter Smith" but this is for aqa.
i do triple science - i revise using freesciencelessons on youtube and when ive fully grasped the concepts of topics i just practise loaddssss of past papers and exam style questions.
english lit - revise QUOTES and TECHNIQUES, those are the most important things to do imo - also watch youtube videos of mr salles and mr everything english to try and improve the way you write your paragraphs. try to understand what AO1, AO2 and AO3 is so you can add it to your writing. revise using past papers
Reply 13
Original post by jennaa21
i take re - buy a revision guide to study from and just memorise quotes, quotes in ur exam seem insignificant but trust be you can get loads more marks by referencing to quotes. The revision guide i have is called "christianity and islam peter smith" but this is for aqa.
I do triple science - i revise using freesciencelessons on youtube and when ive fully grasped the concepts of topics i just practise loaddssss of past papers and exam style questions.
English lit - revise quotes and techniques, those are the most important things to do imo - also watch youtube videos of mr salles and mr everything english to try and improve the way you write your paragraphs. Try to understand what ao1, ao2 and ao3 is so you can add it to your writing. Revise using past papers

thank you!!!!!
Reply 14
Original post by jennaa21
i take RE - buy a revision guide to study from and just memorise quotes, quotes in ur exam seem insignificant but trust be you can get loads more marks by referencing to quotes. the revision guide i have is called "Christianity and Islam Peter Smith" but this is for aqa.
i do triple science - i revise using freesciencelessons on youtube and when ive fully grasped the concepts of topics i just practise loaddssss of past papers and exam style questions.
english lit - revise QUOTES and TECHNIQUES, those are the most important things to do imo - also watch youtube videos of mr salles and mr everything english to try and improve the way you write your paragraphs. try to understand what AO1, AO2 and AO3 is so you can add it to your writing. revise using past papers

Have you gotte your predicted grades????
Have you gotte your predicted grades????

yes, RE is a 8, physics 8, chem 8, biology 9 and english lit 9
(edited 1 year ago)
sorry i meant 7-8 math tuition not 10,and d of E requires volunteering buut also it needs first aid/camping training too plus my d of e is finishing next month so it's not a hassle

Maths needs cutting to one hour a week ... I'm a teacher so steady work through KS4 is the way to go
Reply 17

Health and Social
French
RE
Business

Hii I do business GCSE predicted a 9 (taking them rn!!), what I do is use erevision (you may be able to ask your school for a login or make one yourself not really sure), but also I condensed notes from the textbook and basically in the marking, (e.g. for an 'explain' question, they want a point and linked strands), so what I did was I learnt key linked strands e.g. less revenue, thus less profit, and so they have less retained profit to invest into the business... and by doing that; the 3 markers become okay in exams,,, also its crucial you learn how to do a 6 marker, 9 marker, and 12 marker. Getting the structure right really helps gain marks!! (as well as content haha). umm, I also take English Lit and lang, and I revise for these by buying my own copy of the book we study for each topic, and go through and highlight key quotes, and then at the end of the book I make Theme cards, and Charcater cards, each with three points. So for An Inspector Calls for example, I'll do the theme 'Responsibility' with three points for that, and for each point several quotes to back it up. That is basically an essay plan and insanely useful and preps you a lot!! Hope that sort of helps (: I also do DofE -- just make sure to give yourself good breaks especially in the evenings and just try to relax, you don't have some of your exams for a while, so you'll be alright (: best of luck
Reply 18
Original post by Isa (:
Hii I do business GCSE predicted a 9 (taking them rn!!), what I do is use erevision (you may be able to ask your school for a login or make one yourself not really sure), but also I condensed notes from the textbook and basically in the marking, (e.g. for an 'explain' question, they want a point and linked strands), so what I did was I learnt key linked strands e.g. less revenue, thus less profit, and so they have less retained profit to invest into the business... and by doing that; the 3 markers become okay in exams,,, also its crucial you learn how to do a 6 marker, 9 marker, and 12 marker. Getting the structure right really helps gain marks!! (as well as content haha). umm, I also take English Lit and lang, and I revise for these by buying my own copy of the book we study for each topic, and go through and highlight key quotes, and then at the end of the book I make Theme cards, and Charcater cards, each with three points. So for An Inspector Calls for example, I'll do the theme 'Responsibility' with three points for that, and for each point several quotes to back it up. That is basically an essay plan and insanely useful and preps you a lot!! Hope that sort of helps (: I also do DofE -- just make sure to give yourself good breaks especially in the evenings and just try to relax, you don't have some of your exams for a while, so you'll be alright (: best of luck

Thank,i was most worried about business so this really helps
Reply 19
Thank,i was most worried about business so this really helps

happy to help with business if you ever have any more questions! :smile:

Latest